I've seen it a bunch of times and never noticed....(The Last Waltz)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by maclen, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

^^^
    Of course, if anybody knew what Dylan could be like onstage, it would be The Band.

Personally I've always wondered if Bob threw in that reprise of "Baby Let Me Follow You Down" just to f--k with peoples' heads- Martin Scorsese's and the film crew's in particular...

Overall, there are some priceless interactions between the musicians in The Last Waltz. Myself, I've always felt sorry for Joni Mitchell: she's got Danko on one side, Robbie on the other, both of whom are ogling her like no tomorrow...I keep expecting to see the actual drool, Rick or Robbie slipping in a puddle:laugh:

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Uh they know her and are friends with her.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Uh, I am aware of that.:rolleyes:

chacha likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I sure don't see it... it doesn't look to me like they are ogling her. Joni Mitchell wasn't exactly known for her looks, was she?

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

But she was rather 'popular' with some of the male music stars of the day, so why should Robbie and Rick be any different?

6. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Joni Mitchell is the strangest part of the entire film i always thought. Along with the second poem reading.

Singing coyote? All by herself? Maybe I'm missing the significance behind that. But i skip that song every time. Horrible.

7. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

So would the movie sound being over dubbed mean that my lp box set is also the over dub? Or is this the actual concert I'm hearing?

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The soundtrack album is also heavily dubbed. It is what it is.

9. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

That's crappy, i think.

I mean. It kind of detracts from the appeal for me, big time. I might as well just listen to the studio versions. Aside from the obvious guests playing with them.

So how exactly did they "over dub" this stuff? Are all the guests over dubbed? Did everyone had to a studio afterwards to re-record their parts?

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

All of The Band overdubbed many of their parts except Levon who didn't change a thing. Robertson redid many of his solos and Danko redid all of his bass parts as it was out of tune at the gig. Not sure about any of the guests.

Trapper J likes this.
  11. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I wonder if that property still exists, I'm surprised that mansion didn't crumble due to their concentrated self-aggrandizement.

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

To say nothing of the weight of all that snow.

zebop likes this.
  13. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I saw the film in LA upon first release in 1978. It had a great surround mix that really brought one into the concert. But like any film it is a construct.

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Sometimes people are appealing on account of their talent and intellect. And, Mitchell was an attractive woman then (and since), although apparently not to you.

zebop, Spitfire and Muzyck like this.
  15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thought it was cool that the camera operators were told not to film Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" because they were to change the film in the cameras. Scorsese or whomever was giving the instructions didn't realize it was Muddy's version of "I'm A Man". One cameraman had ripped his headphones off of his head as he was sick of the orders...this is why Muddy's performance is shot from one camera angle until the very end of the song when the other cameras are up and running again. Without that cameraman rebelling we would not have had film footage of that fantastic performance!

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well yeah, of course that is true. I had no intention of suggesting otherwise. But the guy I was responding to said that Robertson and Danko were "ogling" Mitchell and drooling over her. Generally that type of visceral response is not generated by admiration of someone's talent or intellect. He was suggesting lust, not an more high-minded form of attraction. And (in my opinion anyway) Joni Mitchell was not the type of overwhelmingly beautiful, sexy or whatever person who would generate that type of mindless lust in people around her.

Cheepnik likes this.
  17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Did you ever see Festival Express? Danko was so messed up there it looked to me like he was digging on Janis. She wasn't beautiful or sexy by any means.

18. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Anyway, I never got the impression that Robertson and Danko were doing anything but following Mitchell's chord changes. I'm sure they both had numerous chances to check out her looks prior to 1976.

czeskleba likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, I think the guy who accused them of ogling is reading a lot more into the situation than is apparent there on the screen.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Precisely. I am sure they could have ogled her at much greater length and possibly in greater detail many times before they shared a stage that day.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I love the footage of Janis, Danko, and Garcia together in that film. I may have to make an edited version of just their footage all in one clip. Kinda sad even if it is fun times.

22. I have never noticed it but a friend of mine insists that at some point Neil grabs Joni's butt and she removes his hand. Maybe it's in the finale or maybe he's full of it.

23. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Robbie Robertson is not exactly the "star" of the band- as a youngster when I saw it for the first time (and I knew nothing about them) I really came away with that impression. As I learned more about the group and the film in subsequent years I realized the Band was not mostly all Robbie Robertson.
    How well the band adapts to everyone they are playing with.
    Clapton's guitar strap incident- I was'nt sure exactly what he was exclaiming about until I saw it a few times. Also Joni's acoustic guitar starts playing before she does! I learned about all the studio doctoring and other savory tidbits about "The Last Waltz" when I read Levon Helm's book- after reading that you'll know whether you notice or not. Lastly, how few "crowd shots" there are compared to other concert movies of the time.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I never really thought this was the great concert movie of all time, but then I was never that impressed by the Band. What I noticed on the last viewing was how they (or Scorcese) seemed to be trying to cultivate that mystique. And the whole things was sort of a big lie. They should've just booted Robbie out, brought in a new guitar player and songwriter or two, and continued on. I would've loved to hear Richard or Rick sing "Edge of the Ocean' from the Basement Tapes in a proper arrangement.

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Most likely just sloppy editing - the image jumps there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.