Record Store Day Black Friday, 11/28/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilco

Wilco Forum Resident

Not true, I saw the Beatles today. Like a lot of RSD stuff in Canada it depends where you are. Nobody here has the Bowie, for example. Lots of titles will arrive next week, I suspect.

2. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Isn't this the same pressing as the standard Sundazed that is still in print? Just wondering because I want this album and my record store only got one and someone in front of me grabbed it. I don't care if its red or black if it sounds good.

3. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I am visiting my parents for the holiday, and headed out to the local Indy music shop. I always stop in when visiting town, so they kind of know me. I figured the store would open early, and I got there 1 hour before normal opening, and the store was already open. Luckily, as I walked in, I could see the Neil and Miles boxes on the counter..last ones. Also grabbed the last Hendrix. They had sold out of the RSD Grateful Dead release, which I can pick up on eBay when the arbitraging calms down.

Now, I have to wait until Sunday till I get home to listen. Can't wait.

4. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I think the Neil Young boxset will be easy to get. We now have arguably 3500 on the market from April which have the misspelled Times, 3500 from Black Friday, and now up on Neil's website a numbered edition. I would have waited for the numbered had I known but so be it! I might have to track down the Velvet
    Underground.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  5. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I got the Searching For Johnny (Thunders) soundtrack 2 LP set, which was really all I wanted this time around. The glow in the dark Afrika Bambaataa "Planet Rock" 12" looked awesome, but I wasn't gonna spend $20 on it.

6. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

Made it to my local store (cheapo in st.paul, mn) at 9:30. They opened a hour earlier than usual and that news must not have made it far because there was only 1 other person in the store and tons of selection. It did start to get busy when I left at 10.

I picked up miles blue xmas and blue note 10". Both awesome. Also I picked up the dead. Good set. I really dig the he's gone 19 minute jam.

I planned on picking up the miles box but ended up passing because the used bins had tons of used coltrane I had been wanting so spent my money there.

Went to a second shop that I know lists above msrp but they were having a 20 percent off used vinyl sale. In the bin was an almost complete original depeche mode catalog! Picked up a lot I had been missing along with an original faith no more the real thing.

Picked up the miles davis vinyl bundle and dead dicks picks vol 5 on pop market Black Friday today too.

What are the sleves used in the dead release? They are fantastic!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    JeffMo likes this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Did you notice if they had any of the Billie Holiday Storyville release?

8. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I ended up putting a lot of the releases back on the shelves due to lack of mastering details. All the Miles Davis Records, the JB's, Billie Holiday, Little Richard.... didn't buy any of em.

Only thing I really wanted was the Death Grips LP. But my local store only got 2 copies and there were about 20 people on line ahead of me so those were the first thing to go, obviously. Another store had a sign on their door stating they wouldn't be receiving any copies of that record to deter anyone from sleeping outside for it.

I did find a copy of the original Great White Wonder bootleg in the used bins so not all was lost, although I pretty much waited outside for no reason. Hah.

9. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

showed up noonish and got #097 of the billie holiday - we'll see how it sounds late night tonight. The only other interesting things to me were boxes and too expensive

Wade Burrow likes this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

3 at my store and none were touched all day. I thin people sinply had no idea. The Avantis 45 from Sundazed was also really cool and slipped under most peoples radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joIO85Ti_BA

11. Truckerock

Truckerock New Member

Here. Had to get a friend to pickup in Baltimore. None in VA. Can't wait to spin!

Scope J likes this.
  12. jawaka

jawaka Senior Member

Their BFRSD presentation was two stacks of records leaning against the wall in the back room, but they had the Beatles LTS EP. These stacks were interspersed with various "import" LPs (compound the English equivalent of automobile trunk with one lower human limb).

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

What is so special about Penny Arcade? I saw a copy today but didn't know enough to be tempted.

14. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Produced by Michael Nesmith, which probably is their biggest claim to fame. The music is, IMO, pleasant but unspectacular.

Six String likes this.
  15. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

After going to NY's web-site and seeing "out of stock" for the 4 LP's and T-shirts I just punched myself in the face.

Wade Burrow and Jgirar01 like this.
  16. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

The 2 local stores weren't too busy - saw plenty of Beatles and Neil Young, Dead Milkmen, Miles (except for Blue Xmas)

Got Beatles and Penny Arcade

Didn't see - Kinks, St Vincent

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I was

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I don't know

19. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Yeah. There's a part of me that would love to have those EPs. I honestly don't know why since LTS and Magical Mystery Tour are the only ones that seem essential in any way. Yet I always check ebay for them when I'm browsing.

20. Scott Wheeler

Looks like it is in stock to me

21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

22. Scott Wheeler

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have the Nowhere Man EP and a couple of other Parlophone originals that I have stumbled upon over the years. I don't seek them out, but they're cool little Beatle artefacts, for the cool picture sleeves if for no other reason.

dustybooks likes this.
  24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Just ordered the Echosmith "Cool Kids" picture disc and the Sneakers 10" record from Amoeba. I have a problem.

25. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Not really into collecting vinyl anymore (no time to play it) but I did grab the Wham! colored vinyl at Canterbury in Pasadena, along with the (non-RSD, obviously) CD deluxe of the new Simple Minds.

JeffMo and JoeRockhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.