McCartney Hello Picadilly 1974 Jingle in good quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've never heard of this. Backstory?

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Are you sure this is from 1974?

'Albert Square' is the fictional London location of a British soap opera, Eastenders, which has run on UK TV since 1985.

4. etcetera

Yes . It was aired during the day one of Manchester Independent Radio Picadilly in 1974, and recorded at Stockport Strawberry studio during the McGear sessions ( or at home ?? ). Great Linda's harmonies

http://clyp.it/mjc3gsy1

5. etcetera

speedway and Tord like this.
  6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm going to admit something to you guys. When I was younger, I spent some time saying unkind things about Linda. Which wasn't really fair. From what I can tell, she was a pretty fabulous person. And at the time, I gave no consideration as to what kind of person she was... only what kind of singer she was. That was sh!tty of me. But now that she's gone, I realize her voice was a giant part of Paul's sound. I so wish I could hear her harmonize with his voice again.

Anyway, please forgive me regarding those old unkind days of my youth. And I have to say, again, to etc, thanks. That sounded really nice.

7. etcetera

Linda was not a good singer ( but such a good photographer and mummy ). But Paul used her voice with such talent, like his bass or another instrument : with a unique and beautiful touch which give the great WINGS sound. John didn't do the same with yoke's voice which ( except the silly screams ) was probably sweater than Linda's. Another proof of the musical genius of Paul

jsayers and EasterEverywhere like this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I never had anything against her as a person but I will also admit her vocals annoyed me back in the original era, especially when her pitch was suspect.
    In that era I would have removed her vocals from Ram and Wildlife etc., if I had been able to.

Now, all these years later I accept her vocals as part of the package and kind of like the folksy (or homey quality I guess) that she added to the records.
    Not really professional sounding vocals, but they add a warmth and a humanity factor that a "real" female vocalist wouldn't have brought to the table, had Paul brought one in, or married one.

And..Linda never claimed to be a great...anything musically. She was there to support her husband. It was Paul's idea to bring her into the band, so we shouldn't have blamed her for any of that.

9. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Albert Square is an actual location in Manchester so his shout out in the jingle for a Manchester radio station makes perfect sense.

10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

So cool, thanks!

11. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Interesting, but very poor quality. Let's hope a good copy turns up someday. Found it on YouTube as well:

foxylady and Yosi like this.
  12. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Fabulous quality and very nice track too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.