"Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" Vinyl Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

They sound the same.

BTW The track listing on the 12 track Barclay is the same as the 11 track with Submission at the end of side 1 ie. its a different running order to Virgin 12 track pressings.

2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Thank you for information.
    At the time I am listening to the belgian pressing and it sounds great !!!
    Side A has a louder cut (due to shorter playing time I think). I will compare with the UK A7/B6 pressing.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm really happy wih my Geman original. But if I come across a UK copy I will take it. Of course;) I always can sell my German pressing and apparently for a very good price since it has the sticker on the front:)

4. sathvyre

Comparison finished. The UK is definitely the winner, but the dutch Ariola and the US Warner Bros. are a very strong 2nd option. The german pressing is the worst of all (in my opinion).

5. Neonbeam

That's interesting because it was much better than the "30th Anniversary" edition. I'll keep an eye open for one of the pressings you mention!

6. sathvyre

Yes. A good friend and me did some comparisons in the last weeks. He owned the german first pressing, but never had any other pressing to compare. When we listened to the UK and the US Warner and the Ariola Benelux, we both recognized a huge difference between the german Virgin and the mentioned alternate pressings from different countries !!! US Warner anD Ariola Benelux are strong competitors to the UK one.
    I never had the chance to listen to the 30th Anniversary edition, but I suspect it was sourced from digital files.

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The EMI 100 pressing is also very good.

8. sathvyre

Do you have more detailed info or a Discogs link ? I can't find further information...

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

10. sathvyre

Thank you. Do you know if it was sourced from analogue or digital masters ?

11. Neonbeam

Haha... that is exactely the title BEFORE they started using all analogue masters. Bowie's "Hunky Dory" is the 21st album in this series and the first to be cut from analogue.

12. Neonbeam

Sure... sometimes you need another copy to realize that what you already have is... well... maybe not ideal ;) But since the complete German pressing is s collectible in it's own right I'm not losing sleep;);)

http://www.popsike.com/Vinyl-LP-Sex...s-The-original-Sticker-1977/231251007219.html

13. sathvyre

seventeen likes this.
  14. sathvyre

For me as a music listener (and not collector for rare and valuable records), the sound quality of a record is the most important thing. I don't really care if it is a first pressing or a later one...the listening experience is the main thing when it comes to vinyl.

blackg and seventeen like this.
  15. sathvyre

Sill no information about a possible german mispress ?

16. Neonbeam

Mylene likes this.
  17. sathvyre

Thank you for information, Mr. Google...

18. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

Yeah, I have the Rhino 2008 pressing and it didn't strike me as running too slow compared to my Aussie Virgin pressing (mid 80's). Plus I have a mid 2000's CD copy.
    Then again, I do have the pitch control on my 1200 running slightly high, so.......
    But what struck me immediately WAS that "mono deluxe" sound. I had to check the settings on my amp to make sure I was still in stereo.
    But now I kinda love that near- mono sound because it gives the album a more amateur, raw, attitude.
    Though, the drums (toms and cymbals), and the occasional guitar lick, are still coming at ya from a wider field. Which is how it should be.
    This version has BALLS as far as I can hear.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  19. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

Damn!!! I respect your interpretation but..........
    When I listen to my 2008 Rhino I hear a LESS polished record. Its nearly in mono!! Hahahah
    And also, The guitars have a "drier" sound, if that makes any sense?
    I also believe the bass is slightly boosted on this release. All good attributes in my opinion.
    It packs a good punch. Just ask the neighbors!!

To my ears the only song where the guitars have ANY polish, or any obvious effects, are during "Anarchy". But any Pistols fan will tell ya this.
    I God damn love the guitar sound on my Rhino reissue!!!

MrRom92 likes this.
  20. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

You are just repeating a well worn MYTH!!! Lazy research, dude!!!! Steve Jones plays some of the best rock/blues licks I have ever heard on this record. Paul Cooks timing on drums is dead on perfect!!! And, do you really need to be schooled on Matlock's bass playing abilities??

Now, Rotten as a vocalist is not for everyone. But, hey..the dude doesn't bore ya to death either.
    And he definitely had a knack for melody. Something you cant pick up on from reading an article on how "poorly" the Pistols played.

JuanTCB likes this.
  21. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

Only a try hard "punk" would make that comment. This album transcends "punk", whatever that is?
    I don't believe in self imposed titles about a persons lifestyle.

22. Plissken99

Plissken99 Forum Resident

So as someone who has never owned a Sex Pistols albums, the current Rhino release is pretty nice right? I'd like to think so, as I'm not a big enough fan to shell out $150+ for an original UK Virgin copy in decent condition.

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Go for the current Universal reissue rather than the Rhino.

24. Plissken99

Plissken99 Forum Resident

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.