Record/CD stores in NYC - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MMM, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I always hit Academy and the Jazz Record Center when in Manhattan. Other Music is great, too, if your tastes are left of center.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. MMM

Academy looks to be a good recommendation, thanks Glenn.

Any others? Possibly even around Midtown?

4. Jesse Reiswig

Jesse Reiswig Zen Master of Playlists

Not much around midtown anymore, sorry to say. I will second the recommendations for both Academy on 18th street and Other Music. Academy is better for CDs than for vinyl, unless you're really into classical. Their classical selection is extraordinary and they have a lot of great jazz and rock/pop/soul on CD as well. In terms of unusual finds, Academy is a great place to go. They often have something surprising and out of print at a reasonable price. Academy also has an annex geared more toward vinyl and toward rock/soul (2/3 used, 1/3 new), which is in Williamsburg/Greenpoint, Brooklyn, the one neighborhood in New York that still has a lot of independent record stores.

Other Music is a small store with an emphasis on electronic music and psychedelia, but it's interestingly organized and has a great all-around selection for such a small store as well. You'll always find something interesting here.

Also in Williamsburg is Rough Trade, the British chain, which is the go-to place if you're just looking for an all-round selection of new vinyl or CDs.

I also kinda recommend Bleecker Street Records (which is no longer on Bleecker--it moved to W. 4th). "Kinda" because, while it's relatively large and has a good amount of most genres on both CD and vinyl, new and used, it's sort of poorly curated and unpleasantly run. It does have an interesting section of audiophile and Japan vinyl releases in the basement, but that's mostly really off-the-wall titles.

There's also House of Oldies rare records on 35 Carmine Street, also in Greenwich Village. I haven't been there in a long time, but I've purchased several out of print titles there in the past.

Basically, I recommend you go to:

1) Academy (18th st.)

2) Other Music

3) Rough Trade

Brother_Rael and MMM like this.
  5. MMM

Thank you, Jesse.

6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

If you like new wave - or alternative from the 80's and 90's, Rebel Rebel on Bleeker St.
    And you never know who you'll run into there.

MMM likes this.
  7. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

For CDs, there's one good midtown spot: Book-Off on 45th between 5th and 6th. It's probably best known as a Japanese book store but it's huge and carries and ton of used media at reasonable prices.

8. MMM

Thank you, David.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Good info and good to know as I'll be in New York next month on holiday and want to check out a few of these!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.