Anybody using gear 30+ year old that hasn't been restored?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

I have a Marantz 2285 (made only in 1977) that I purchased from the original owner about 3 years ago. I had it checked by an old-timer and it did not require any adjustment and was operating in spec. I have replaced a couple lamps and the vellum paper and perform routine clean and lube. I see no reason to change anything.

2. Mike Novak

Mike Novak Forum Resident

I'm in love with a pair of B&W DM4, 1974 I think... JBL L26 too !

3. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

The speakers I really wanted back on the day

billh likes this.
  4. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

37 year old Kenwood KA-5700 in my 2nd system, with a pair of PSB Alpha's. It's great. Bass is a bit tubby, but it gets a diet of jazz primarily, so that works out great.

[​IMG]

Not mine, but just like it.

Gasman1003, BigGame, Brudy and 2 others like this.
  5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I own two pairs of Yamaha NS1000M's, the one with modified Xovers but the other one is in original form and still sounds great.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I have two identical 60wpc Sanyo integrated amps from 1978. One, that I've owned about ten years, was serviced in 1982 (found a sticker on the back, though I don't know what was done). The other one I've owned almost 20 years; it served a very large high school band room for the first part of its life, and it has never had anything done except a lamp replaced. Both amps are ready and willing to peel paint off the walls if asked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the move from tube to solid state was done in part because solid state is cheaper and more reliable. So it makes sense to me that a lot of this gear is still working fine after many decades -- it was designed to do just that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Gasman1003 likes this.
  7. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

Just bought a Realistic STA 77 Receiver two weeks ago. It's from 1977. It was taken care of very well. The previous owner is a vintage hifi lover so he might have cleaned the pots because they are flawless. I've read that it might need new caps but I'm not planning on doing anything until it breaks down.
    [​IMG]

Gasman1003, Brudy and GuildX700 like this.
  8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My Kenwood tuner and my turntables.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  9. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I had a Kenwood turntable I loaned to a family member. Nice table, got it in '77. I would probably still have it if the dope I loaned it too had not decided to throw it out when he decided he wasn't interested in LP's any more

Gasman1003 likes this.
  10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I have a Lafayette LR-5000 4-channel receiver from 1975, that is all original and still works and sounds fine, though if you turn it up fairly loud there is just the slightest hum, so recapping will be done to it soon. It would be a shame to let it fail due to old/bad capacitors, since quadraphonic gear from that era is much more rare that stereo gear. All of my vintage Sansui units have been fully restored, and I feel it was well worth the cost, as they sound great.

I have a Technics SL-22DD turntable from 1987 that has never had to have anything done to it (other than me repairing the arm lift mechanism. Note to self: be careful not to operate the stop button by accident with the tonearm in its locked position.) Still plays perfectly.

My mom still uses her 1963 Sears Silvertone console stereo, and it is all original (well, it had a tube replaced in 1969, but that was the last time!)

Gasman1003 likes this.
  11. Further

Further Forum Resident

Sansui 8080db from July, 1977 which I just took in to have restored a couple of months ago and a pair of Pioneer HPM-100's from March, 1976 that are untouched. Probably due for a recap but are in excellent shape and sound fine.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a couple of 70s Kenwood 8300 tuners that still work great.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I had a new tabletop refrigerator that I bought in 2012.Died two years later.

14. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I have a pair of B&W DM-5 speakers in my bedroom that, outside of throwing away the disintegrating foam grills and the now useless tape that held them in place, along with bypassing the front panel fuses, remain as I bought them in 1978.

I also have a Pioneer TX-9100 tuner I bought in 1973. It's needed realignment a few times over the years but analog tuners always do. The power switch also was replaced a couple of years ago. That's not being restored, just repaired.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  15. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Just keep it clean let it warm up a bit and don't overtax it, I run it on very efficient Klipsch Fortes.
    If need be I can drive over to Knoxville and have Terry work on it, I'm taking an X202B to him after New Year's.

I'm originally from SF, how are things in Oakland.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Wet. And getting pricier by the moment.

17. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I have a Zenith console pull AM/FM tuner/pre that has all its original tubes and has never been aligned or tweaked but the power supply is new. I also have a D-45 Crown amp that is probably 30 years old that I bought new old stock about ten years ago. I plugged it in, it worked and it still does.

There is a Servel gas refrigerator in a vacation house I own that still works great and is at least sixty. There is also a maytag electric wringer washer and a Hallicrafters radio as old or older that work great there too but I put a new motor in the Maytag and recapped and aligned the radio.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  18. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Sure, Dual 1019 almost 50 years old, just regular lube periodically runs as good as new. Marantz 27 receiver over 40 years old nothing changed or upgraded, runs great just some deoxit on the volume and balance controls every few years. Marantz 1060 integrated amp same thing. All in daily use.

19. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

Here is my baby Mitsubishi DA_P20.
    I love it !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gasman1003 likes this.
  20. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Unbelievable the amount of income it takes to reside in the Bay Area now

21. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

My Technics SB-RX50 speakers - excellent, like new !!

Gasman1003 likes this.
  22. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Sherwood S-7200 receiver, purchased in 1973, now used mostly for it's phono preamp and tuner. Never serviced. sounds great.

23. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Tandberg 440A cassette and Phase Linear 400 I power amp with wood case. Both mint and working. Might sell soon though. Retired and the old need for money God has found me. Take care, John M.

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Sansui G-5700

MikeW653 likes this.
  25. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Thorens TD-124 MK1, Yamaha CR-2020 receiver and Dynaco A-25s. Each was checked and cleaned and oiled and whatnot, but nothing was restored or changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.