Wait by the Fire -Frank Sinatra

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beaneydave, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Great photos, thanks for sharing Bob!

I have to admit, seeing Frank and Tiny Tim together might have been that Kodak moment when "REPRISE" as a record label, really changed hands?

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Reprise had been recording some big name rock bands by that time of late 1968. The "change" was well underway. Logo and all.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I actually prefer the version of Never My Love that the Adressi Brothers did on their Columbia debut to the one by The Association.

4. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

This thread is fantastic. And I don't think I've ever seen that second photo of FAS and George before---oh to be a fly on the wall.

I enjoy Cycles a great deal---there's an effort and sincerity there (well, maybe not on Moody River) to try to put across contemporary material with a Sinatra imprimatur that, for instance, I don't hear in the album That's Life. By The Time I Get To Phoenix really is a fine, sensitive interpretation and is probably my favorite track. And I love what he does with Wandering---there's an interview with Gayle Caldwell on youtube somewhere where she assesses that as probably being a better song than Cycles.

bozburn likes this.
  5. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Agreed @JimSav. By The Time I Get To Phoenix, Wandering, Both Sides Now and Cycles are great tracks off the album.

6. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wandering is in my top ten Sinatra , but that sounds like the start of another thread !

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Re-listening to the snippet of "Wait By The Fire" by Paal Flaata, in my post #8 and I have to say that I really think that the song sounds like something that Sinatra would have tackled a few years later on "Watertown".

Beaneydave likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is a bit off-topic, but the same MPTV search which yields those photos also results in several color shots wrongly attributed to the same session of Nov. 13, 1968. These include the Cycles cover photo (Frank sitting in an open harp case), and the one used on the cover of Strangers in the Night from 1966, but the MPTV captions are misdated. In reality, both cover photos were shot at a much earlier session for Moonlight Sinatra, Nov. 29–30, 1965.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Click images for MPTV preview pages]

rangerjohn likes this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

A year later, the whole song is available online...

Chris C likes this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

To quote Mr. S...."PASS!":rolleyes:

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

[ The images have moved in two posts above. The following reposts should make those visible again… ]

Here are more studio photos (by Ed Thrasher) from the CYCLES sessions at Western Recorders in November 1968:

The de rigueur coffee cup (for Paul Mock):

[​IMG]

With George Harrison and Pattie Boyd:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

With Tiny Tim:

[​IMG]

(Sorry about the watermarks; click the images for MPTV preview pages.)

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is a bit off-topic, but the same MPTV search which yields the above photos also results in several color shots wrongly attributed to the same session of Nov. 13, 1968. These include the Cycles cover photo (Frank sitting in an open harp case), and the one used on the cover of Strangers in the Night from 1966, but the MPTV captions are misdated. In reality, both cover photos were shot at a much earlier session for Moonlight Sinatra, Nov. 29–30, 1965.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Click images for MPTV preview pages.)

Chris C and MLutthans like this.
  14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Pardon me if this may be well known -- I openly plead ignorance -- but is there any record of what the conversations with George & Patti and/or Tiny Tim involved?

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They are mentioned in the liner notes by Hal Halverstadt…

“There is also a new wave of drop-in celebrities: […] the ineffable Tiny Tim (who in a sidelines conversation with ‘Mr.’ Sinatra became so excited that, lacking a slip of paper on which to write some phone numbers, pulled up one pant leg and pencilled them on his ankle); and (heads turning, eyebrows raised) Beatle George Harrison and his wife, Patti, fresh from camera waving and hand shaking at a benefit showing of Yellow Submarine.”

MLutthans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.