Kinks Anthology 64-71 Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mlew, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker Thread Starter

I am considering purchasing the Kinks Anthology when it has its domestic release
    next week. I'm very impressed with the Lola vs Powerman Deluxe.
    I don't have the Picture Book box set but have the Rhino CDs Kinda Kinks and
    Kink-Size/Kinkdom. Can you help me out by voting if you have listened to the Anthology set.

2. Reader

Reader Senior Member

If you like the Kinks and want every odd and end by them you can find you need this set. I think the sound is fine and the package is not as bad as some have said. There are a few cosmetic things I would change but overall I am very happy to have this and it will get many , many hours of play in the next year.

Everybody needs to be more positive and enjoy things. Anything can turn out negative if you go looking for negative things. This release was praised for a few days with almost everyone liking it then someone started being negative and the ball started rolling. Is it perfect? No, but it is a highly enjoyable collection of great music with enough new stuff to make it a must buy, at least for me.

I'm a happy fellow right now. All these great new releases, by Dylan, McCartney, Harrison, new AF releases, and many more. The Kinks Anthology is my favorite at this minute. We are swamped with so much good music there is no reason to not be happy at least by that. There are enough bad things happening both in the U.S. and the world so let the music make the days easier to get through and also provide real pleasure. Crank it up and SMILE!!!!

"I'm Not Like Everybody Else"

Bemagnus, Dave Hoos, davenav and 8 others like this.
  3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I just got the single disc of the hits and there's two problems: There's a weird sound going through You Really Got Me and they didn't even put All Day And All Of The Night on it! Hello? That was a huge hit!

4. mlew

I like your positivity. There is a very insightful interview with Ray on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
    Apparently she is a big fan and she talked about thoroughly enjoying the Anthology.

Reader likes this.
  5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

cc-- likes this.
  6. mlew

I'd like to thank the people who have responded to the poll on the Kinks Anthology box.
    I'm gonna buy the box next week and then enjoy it while on vacation in Tampa!

Mr. H and Mike Dow like this.
  7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

On the fence here.

Content: thumbs up
    Sound: thumbs down

There are some great rarities and stereo remixes, and the track selection of hits and album tracks is fantastic.

Unfortunately the mastering is quite compressed, and the EQ is much brighter than it needs to be (brighter than the Deluxe editions, even)

wayneklein and Echo like this.
  8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I've been listening this week. Love it.

9. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I'm in a major Kinks discovery phase right now. Village Green, Something Else, Lola. Just trying Muswell, with Face to Face next. Boxes like this are kinda weird to me, with some songs I know, others I don't. I'd rather get all the proper releases first, then go back to this.

10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I listened to 95% of this yesterday on RDio and I have to say I was impressed. The sequencing is a bit hard to follow (not exactly chronological, not necessarily designed for optimum flow), but the track selection is unassailable and the sound was good enough for me to really enjoy - at least in a streaming format . . . thumbs up. Some real rare gems, here, too . . . heck, it's just nice to have some Kinks music available stateside.

11. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Have to give it a huge thumbs up cuz basically nobody beats Ray Davies at his best, but why now and why not release the 25 songs separately on iTunes

wayneklein likes this.
  12. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

. . . actually maybe it is chronologically sequenced . . . I'm just surprised slightly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Pudding over egged. Love them, but I won't be picking this up after Deluxe Editions (x2), Picture Book, BBC, mono set, vinyl versions etc. Way too many reissues.

14. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Beautifully packaged box set! Love it!!

davenav likes this.
  15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

There's no denying the contents of all 5 discs are very high quality.
    But if you have all the Deluxe Editions already, there isn't much new here to justify the purchase.
    I bought it anyway.

B-Mike likes this.
  16. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I love it, and am familiar with all the prior releases and appreciate the really fine sound here. The discs are hard to get out but put them in cd paper holders and that problem is solved. I really enjoy the sequencing of this set as well.The book is a fanzine made for the fans that already have the Deluxes and Picture Book set that offered a lot of useful written info...

17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think that is over the top - the sound is very good compared to a lot that is around - both old and new. I would save "thumbs down" for something, that is really bad.

Murilove likes this.
  18. Kind of wish Vic Anesini had remastered this rather than Dan Hersh. You wold think they would realize a collectible boxed set like this is goi g to the core audience and audiophiles

goodiesguy and Laservampire like this.
  19. The packaging disappoints and the sound quality is very uneven. But in terms of content this is easily the best of the compilations covering this particular era. All the hits are there, as well as some of the better album tracks and some interesting unreleased material. Enough for a thumbs up.

20. The sound is great. At least for Kinks albums that are not the greatest recordings to begin with. This collection for the most part sounds as good as any Kinks on CD.

21. mlewenson

mlewenson New Member

Again I would like to thank those who have responded to the poll.
    I intended to buy it before leaving for vacation but ran out of time.
    So I'm hoping my local brick and mortar ( Amoeba or Rasputins in Berkeley ) restocks the box
    this week, so I can finally listen to the set.

22. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Was listening to the Kinks Anthology again yesterday and it still sounds great to my tired old ears. Normally I don't like new unreleased tracks mixed in with things I've heard 100's of times but it works with this collection. I'm happy with the sound so even things like "You Really Got Me" have a breath of freshness to them and reveal some of the power they had when first heard. If there's anybody who's thought of getting this but never got around to it you should before it disappears. If I could only have one Kink release, this would be it.

Play Loud

Mike Dow, Mr. H and Pete Puma like this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's a great set. I think there are only a few loose ends not included here. I quite like the remixes and many of them aren't even noted as remixes (or alternate mixes). Many things are cleaned up. For example, "Tin Soldier Man" sounds to be the exact same mix used on the deluxes but it sounds clearer. I'm curious if they actually did remix it from the multitracks, but made it exactly the same. It sounds like they used a master that was a generation better than what appears on the deluxe.

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I'm listening to it right now.
    Of course I love all the Kinks big hits, non-hits, and album tracks
    What I really enjoyed was some of their pre-You Really Got Me stuff. Very early Beatles sounding, which the Kinks really weren't once they got popular. It is fun to listen to the progression.

25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It depends. If you plan to get the deluxe sets of the individual albums from those years, you probably won't need this.

If you don't plan on getting all of those, then it is a good collection.

Steve E. and zen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.