What should Sony do with The Interview?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

As if Sony would release their own employees personal information etc. or threaten a freakin 9/11 type of action. I know conspiracy theories are fun but give me a break.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

What if that is all pretense? What if this "leaked information" was fabricated to be leaked? Have any alleged credit cards been hacked?

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

One of the files had the admin passwords for their e-mail servers as well as corporate credit card numbers.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

@Vidiot - I'm not buying it. Didn't the FBI say just yesterday that there was no evidence of a link to NK?

zobalob likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you read reputable sites, like say WIRED, you'd have a better handle on what is know, what is not known and what is plausible conjecture. This isn't a conspiracy by Sony.

johnnypaddock and drivingfrog like this.
  7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I'm sure Seth Rogen is a great guy, and probably thinks his attempt to tackle "real world" issues is somehow a step up from prior projects, but after seeing "This Is The End" I doubt the burial of this film will much of a loss to cinematic history.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no of course not, but I'll bet it was pure fun!

drivingfrog likes this.
  9. Michael

it's just to vast to be a fabrication...this is serious stuff!

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right, but that isn't the issue. It sets a nasty precedent.

mmars982, EdgardV and Dudley Morris like this.
  11. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

YES.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This came from the U.S. Department of Justice, who will have a press conference Thursday morning. Also reported by NBC News 3 hours ago.

I'm in complete agreement. A lot of celebs are irate about this outrageous infringement on freedom of speech as well:

Hollywood Shocked, Disappointed
    About ‘The Interview’ Cancellation
    [​IMG]

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/h...-about-the-interview-cancellation-1201382091/

Ted Bell and Dudley Morris like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I know, however I cannot comment further as it will go into political territory and my post will likely be removed like in the other thread!

Gary likes this.
  14. Wasn't The Day of the Jackal about shooting De Gaulle ?

Lost In The Flood and Yovra like this.
  15. Michael

really? think about it...this dude is not your ordinary head of state! seriously....wacko comes mind.

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

3rd generation wacko. He grew up in an environment where he thought that everyone doing his bidding was perfectly normal behavior. If you wanted to raise a psychopath, Hannibal Lector couldn't do a better job than his father and grandfather did.

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Number one it was a historical fiction, number two it was in no way a comedy.

zobalob likes this.
  18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Sony are the biggest wimps on the planet, total chickens**t move on their part.

heatherly and marblesmike like this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The Interview isn't among the films the hackers leaked.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They leaked the ending:

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-watch-the-kim-jong-un-death-scene-sony-is-terri-1671454669

I was just telling a friend of mine today that if I had De Lotto money and owned a small video distribution label, I'd be glad to release The Interview on DVD and Blu-ray... not because it's a great film, but because I resent any terrorist slamming the door on a film out of ideology. Especially a satire.

JamieC, marblesmike and Yovra like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And this just in: the latest estimates are that Sony is going to lose $90,000,000 over not releasing The Interview:

With no box office grosses or ancillary returns, it’s all about the cost, and Sony is looking at a write-down comprised of the following:

>> A production budget of about $45 million;

>> A domestic marketing budget of $35 million;

>> An overseas marketing budget estimated between $10 million to $12 million.

Approximately $5 to $6 million of the marketing can be cancelled and probably recouped in the days ahead of the release. But given the late date, it would more likely have to be returned in a trade-out, on “Annie” ads, for example, according to individuals with knowledge of Sony’s functioning.

The studio had penciled in expected domestic grosses of $80 million for “The Interview,” and $130 million worldwide, those individuals said. It’s harder to estimate the home entertainment returns, but given the spotlight the hacking scandal put on it, they may have been considerable.

http://www.thewrap.com/sony-hack-gu...the-interview-will-cost-the-studio-exclusive/

22. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

If only it had been an Adam Sandler movie...

23. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Shame on Sony!

24. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm convinced the film will be leaked anyway and it will turn out to be a mediocre comedy.
    I wonder if every comedy or satire will get a "I will bomb you!"-reaction from humorless, bad tempered, dictatorial, fanatical, orthodox, extreme group of people from now on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.