"The Simpsons" premiered 25 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

My wife and I were there! I front of the TV!
    .... I remember it well!

chilinvilin and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I remember talking about the show with my friends in 8th grade shop class the next day. We loved it. And we continued to love it....for a while.....

The Simpson on DVD was the reason I finally gave in and bought a player. What an exciting new concept. A whole season of shows inside a tidy little box. My box of 20-odd VHS tapes went bye bye.

I own seasons 1-11 on DVD. I saw a few $10 seasons at Walmart yesterday. They had 13 and 14. I was tempted but figured I'd better not, even though I really like that Rock N Roll Fantasy Camp episode.

4. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I remember it and the series started off with a Christmas-themed episode.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I always thought the Simpsons should have ended in 1999. They had done so much by that time, and they would have gone out on a high note.

mattdm11, ParloFax and nojmplease like this.
  6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I would normally agree with this sentiment, but I think that one of the great things about the Simpsons is that the characters don't age. As long as the writing is good, keep it rolling!

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Yeah... I, too, have no problem with the record-breaking continuation of the show....
    Sure, a lot of episodes are awful... no matter
    If only two episodes a year capture the 'essence' of the classic ones, it's worth it!

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I remember watching it on the Tracey Ullman Show.

I feel very, very, very old.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I still love that episode ("Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire") after all these years.

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's a fun little time capsule: commercials from the premiere airing, as recorded from a Providence, RI Fox affiliate:

chilinvilin and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

i remember that i missed the Christmas episode when it first aired, but that i was planted in front of the TV when the first proper episode was on.

Boomers had the Beatles. Whatever my generation is (say 1977-1984), we had the Simpsons.

ohnothimagen and guy incognito like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah...so do I, and I'm only 38!:shake:
    Indeed, we now have an entire generation that does not know life without The Simpsons. That's nuts! Who'da thunk it back in 1990 or so?

I tell ya, when The Simpsons finally does go off the air (I predict it will be when one of the main voice actors passes on) it's gonna be epic. Viewership for the 'final' episode of The Simpsons will make the final episode of M*A*S*H seem like nothing...

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm a huge fan, but strangely enough, I can't specifically recall the first time I ever saw the show... I'm not sure if it was "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" or one of the later Season One episodes... either way, I have no real memory of my first Simpsons experience. I can specifically remember the first time I saw South Park and Family Guy (in both cases it was the debut episode on the actual day it debuted), but those were several years after the Simpsons had already been on the air.

Anyway... hard to believe it's been 25 years. I feel sooooooooo old. :p

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I still maintain that "The Simpsons Sing The Blues" is a pretty good album. :)

15. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Mick - Cheer up Homer, it's only rock and roll camp…
    Homer - But I like it!

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I feel so old now...

17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The big question why is it still on?

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I stopped watching 15 years ago and keep telling myself that whenever it finally ends and they put out a big "complete" box set, I'll watch the entire thing. With 561 episodes currently, I don't even know if that's possible.

19. I watched the first episode - not having seen any of the Tracey Ullman shorts - as I was glad to see an animated show in prime time. How time flies!

20. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Shut up. Damn I'm getting old.

I remember clear as day seeing the first episode at my friend's house down the block. A lot of parents, mine included, thought it was going to be the downfall of western civilization so I had to sneak watching it for a few weeks. I finally convinced them to sit down and watch an episode and after that, it became a weekly ritual in our house.

21. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Because, even though it's not as good as it once was, it's still much better than most of the other crap shows these days. I'd rather watch the worst written Simpsons episode, than an episode of the Bachelor.
    Plus, it must still get decent ratings. If it didn't they would have pulled the plug already.

Hawklord likes this.
  22. I totally agree with you!

My favorite Simpsons era is I guess around the end of their first decade, when the cartoon craft was better honed, and they still did basically episodes with realistic scenarios or premises. It was sort of the cartoon equivalent of "All In The Family" (in a way, barring the racist issues), and that was much more to my liking. The scenarios were less ambitious then, and much funnier to me.

My favorite line from the entire series? On Independence Day, an Indian convenience shop owner (not Apu) attracts Omer in the backstore to sell him some illegal firecrackers: "Celebrate the independence of your country by blowing up a small part of it!" Sssso-o-o "Frank Zappa"!!...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    guy incognito and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  23. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Because it's often pretty funny and occasionally surprisingly great. And I just like knowing that it's still there. It's like comfort food. IMHO.
    I've seen every episode although I didn't watch it until later in season 2.

Hawklord and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

This talk radio guy was trying to get the Mutant Ninja Turtles banned in Australia and said there was a wholesome show about a typical American family starting soon and kids would be better off watching The Simpsons than The Turtles. The Tracy Ullman Show was on at the time so I thought he was probably mistaken.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  25. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I was a freshman at John Carroll in Cleveland. Instantly fell in love with the show. Friends and I would gather in the dorm and watch it. As seniors in 1993 we joked that they had got us thru school. Who knew the show would be on almost 22 years later?

In 1996, during the Burlesque episode, I noted that the series was in decline. For the next year and a half there were some good episodes, but it really hasn't had the magic for 17 years.

But those first few years, the show was pure magic. There was a time when the Simpsons really meant something.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.