John Lennon on Joni Mitchell: 'Overeducated'.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm not expressing an opinion either way on John's comments, though to say he went to art college although true is like saying he went to school, the way I understand it to be is that he spent more time skiving off, smoking, listening to records or playing his music than he did attending either of these two institutions! :laugh:

Trixie Jones and dkmonroe like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Upper class - lords, royalty etc
    Middle class - professional people with careers, some privately educated
    Working class - tradesmen, non skilled workers, left school at 16

Defined not necessarily by you, but your parents/guardians

John - lower middle
    Paul - upper working
    George - working
    Ringo - working

Joni - Canadian

3. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

John is supposed to have remarked disparagingly upon "Joni's trophies", rock stars that she'd spent time with......

4. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Ha ha that's fair enough. There was Nash, Crosby, James Taylor, who else?

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The course that this thread is taking implies that calling Court And Spark 'overeducated' is either a terrible insult or risibly far from the truth. I know exactly where that criticism comes from and I don't think it's that harsh ... and I speak as someone who prefers Court And Spark to any JL solo album!

Joni was indeed smart & sophisticated to a career-wrecking extreme. JL always gives the impression that he wanted to be regarded as 'witty' (spontaneously clever), whereas Joni wanted to appear cultured. There's no question that both were immensely talented, but their views of how that talent could serve them were extraordinarily different.

Regandron, czeskleba and badsneakers like this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Dubious 'quotes' at best, certainly paraphrased, throw in a tipsy John having fun with Joni in his usual manner of oblique humor.
    Not really something to take seriously, or literally.

Raylinds likes this.
  7. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Well i think it is funny, accurate, waspish, classic Liverpool humour - 'overeducated' is hardly the most damning criticism, it both gives and it takes away at the same time, and is close enough to the mark to have a germ of truth.

Does anyone remember the Monty Python sketch "Summarise Proust in 15 seconds' ? . I like Joni Mitchell, but as a one word verdict on her career I think 'overeducated' is insightful, amusing, and not exactly unkind.

Trixie Jones and crazy.crow like this.
  8. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

And also a euphemism. A euphemism for what? "Boring."

Joni does not rock. That's what John was saying. He likes rock and roll, not Joni's kind of music.

9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Jackson Browne

10. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

This is fine, but the whole class issue is, I think, complicated by the facts around many working class people in the '60s/'70s getting a real education for the first time -- beyond school, that is, and guys like Lennon benefited from this. The Beatles, dare I say it, were upwardly -mobile upper working/lower middle class guys. And good luck to them of course. Lennon was perhaps in a position where he didn't want to deny his working class origins. There's doubtleess much discussion about the levels of irony in the lyrics to 'Working Class Hero', but that would need another thread. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    AJK74 and ParloFax like this.
  11. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

If 'Court & Spark' is a product of overeducation, let's hope more musicians go to college.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I'd strongly agree with Sordel's comments: tone of voice and context counts for a lot and we don't have those here.

It might be fair to say that Lennon didn't appreciate the 'Californian' vibe, judging by his comments on CSN and James Taylor, so he'd be unlikely to find much to like in Court & Spark.

As to his class background: anyone familiar with Menlove Avenue will know that it's in one of the most solidly bourgeois parts of Liverpool. John's mother's family were solidly middle-class and property-owners (the other three Beatles all lived in council homes, afaik). Alf Lennon's background was far less privileged but he was a marginal figure for most of John's childhood.

muffmasterh likes this.
  13. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

John was master of the piss take
    A very old english form of humour americans can find troublesome to appreciate
    Its a deflating device ,its not sarcasm, it has warmth and wile
    John was a master, he had to be in the Fabs

Alan2, soundQman and ParloFax like this.
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

As someone who enjoys both Joni Mitchell's and John Lennon's music, I find it interesting how one offhand comment has been spun into a variety of interpretations.
    Prior to reading this thread, I never would've guessed there would've been a Joni vs John debate.

Regarding any perceptions about John being working class, have we forgotten the little detail that he wrote a song called "Working Class Hero"...?

I'm of the (common) opinion that Lennon was a very complex human being, and one would not have to dig deep to find his contradictions...in this case, how he could compose "Woman is the n****r of the World", but also with one word apparently "criticizes" Mitchell, who can be seen as just one of the female characterizations he champions in that song.

JDeanB likes this.
  15. Siegmund

I don't think Lennon was specifically referring to himself in WCH - more how he was perceived as 'working class' by the media, particularly in Britain, where the assumption that if you come from the provinces (or outside the south-east) you must be some sort of hick was strong then and remains powerful today.

John himself acknowledged that his family was 'up a notch' in terms of prosperity from those of Paul and George. He never pretended to be something he wasn't.

Alan2, AJK74 and Zeki like this.
  16. I can dig that, but as far as, precisely, C&S goes, this album was quite a hit - I rely here on the figures from Wikipedia. And they say "Help Me" was Joni's biggest hit single ever (#7, Billboard Hot 100; #1, easy listening chart). I do remember myself that the album was all over FM radio in 1974.

Zeki likes this.
  17. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

There are stories that Mimi taught him to speak in a standard way but he insisted on reverting to Scouse except in her presence. In all interviews I've seen, he does use the Mersey nasal, sing song way of talking. Does any interview, presumably a very early - or possibly very late - one, show him talking more the way Mimi would have preferred? That would be interesting to see.

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Court and Spark is a beautiful album, one of my all time favorites. If it's a product of over education, I say study hard.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Zeki, JDeanB and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  19. Siegmund

All of the Beatles sound 'posh' by today's standards, I'd say. But I think even 1963, John sounded noticeably less 'Scouse' than the others, certainly a lot more so than George, whose accent was the thickest.

20. Siegmund

Court & Spark was that rare thing - a commercial hit that made no compromises. The LA Express gave it a warm, full, reassuring sound - the sound that JM had been moving towards, but hadn't quite achieved, on For The Roses. I'm sure it sounded great on the radio and that a lot of people bought it who didn't listen that closely to the lyrics.

ParloFax likes this.
  21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

This. I think John had a rather acerbic wit and meant no harm. Throw in a healthy dose of aclohol and there you go.

Zeki and muffmasterh like this.
  22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Of course, Paul would just tell her what she wanted to hear.

I miss John.

23. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

He became a better man with Yoko. Sorry for those who wanted him to remain 'Beatle John' for them.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah - as much as I love John Lennon, the idea that he was more educated (as in formal education - as a self-taught idiot I respect the path of the autodidact) than most anyone strikes me as rather funny!

hodgo likes this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

I suppose if this was a Paul thread and somebody stated that he at one time "signed his soul" over to Heather there would be an outrage and numerous postings about threadcraps, etc.

Such a double standard between the 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.