Late 2006 iMac 17" as Music Server

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rick58, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

We're getting my wife a new/refurbed 21" iMac to replace my old one that she's using now. I think it's an Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 17-Inch Late 2006.

I currently use my 27" iMac with an external USB drive as a 'server' (using Squeezebox SW) over WiFi to a SB Touch, currently using iTunes for playlist generation (which the SB SW can 'read) and the iPeng app to control it. The Touch's TOSLINK output is sent to an external DAC input on my Cambridge 840C CD player.

I was thinking about pressing the 17" 2006 iMac into service as a dedicated server/display, to be situated next to my rack, and have its TOSLINK output directly plugged into the 840C. I was looking at other music server software but haven't gotten into it yet. Seems like Audirvana Plus may be the 'best' choice for me so far (>$100, works well, maybe even in conjunction with iTunes). I won't spend $300 for SW, want to use only what I have now, etc.. I also can't do hacks, etc., I'd just as soon stick with commercial SW and etc..

24/96 stereo is good enough for me, altho if the HW supports it I could do higher (I think the 840C can handle 24/192 at least). Seems like the Late 2006 iMac HW only does up to 24/96, fine with me.

I guess I'm about set, but would be interested in hearing from folks who might have done this. Thanks.

I guess if this works, I could resell my Touch, possibly there's a market for them ... :)

2. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

I use a 2006 Mac Pro in a similar fashion with excellent results. I confess that I haven't tried any other music players beyond iTunes, however. One thing to be aware of is to ensure whatever software you're using can automatically change the bit depth and sampling rate for the optical output. With iTunes, I have to manually set it using Audio Midi Setup, which is annoying.

Dan DRC, Rolltide and Rick58 like this.
  3. Rick58

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I would want to know whichever music player/database manager I used (iTunes, Audirvana, JRiver etc) worked with the OS version I had or at least the latest version you could update to. I would want to maximize the RAM in your unit to preferably 8GB tor at least 4GB if that is max allowed to ensure memory, Gapless and hi res playback.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Rick58

Cool! using BitPerfect, don't know what all it does or doesn't do compared to Audirvana, but I think I'll just use this for a while ... if anyone knows a reason to use one over the other, please comment! Otherwise, BitPerfect takes over the hardware and (it seems) optimizes everything for best playback.

6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

My 2007 G5 IMac has just died, PSU failure
    It only ran Logic Studio and ITunes
    Its not worth repairing imho
    Better to buy a newish refurbished Mac direct from Apple

Rick58 likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just make sure you have 10.7 for Bitperfect. I had it for about six months and it sounded great. Then Apple did an update to 10.6 and it stopped working. BitPerfect never got it working again for 10.6. I was bummed because I like the sound and ease of it, and also the fact I had just purchased it!

Rick58 likes this.
  8. Rick58

I think my 2007 iMac has 10.7 ... it can certainly run it, maybe that one was a paid upgrade? We'll see. As long as it's working, I'll try to use it.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.