Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series "The Newsroom"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It looked too long to be a bow-tie to me...but, whatever...

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I realize that everybody has different expectations from their TV shows. I feel that The Newsroom was primarily character driven, and certain plot points weren't that imporatant. Below is my reaction to your questions... please don't take offense, it's just the way I see it. :)

We can only assume it was published. All the paperwork went to Don's colleague at the Associated Press. That was enough resolution for me.

Who cares? My interest is in the interaction of the main characters. What the outside world thinks doesn't really matter, especially when Sorkin is forced into a shortened season. (First Treme and now Newsoom. I'm getting pissed at HBO!)

After 50+ days, I don't think other news outlets would have been outside the jail waiting for him to be released. Chances are they learned about it after it happened. Have you ever heard of James Risen? He may very well go to jail. At this point, nobody is doing much reporting on this subject and I think he'd get a good amount of coverage if he's convicted and not much more than that.

She practically forced herself into the limo and made a very good case. Pruitt is a sexist pig, and he didn't realize that his position as a network owner would be under so much scrutiny. He was in a bad position, and Leona made a good case.

Well, we don't really know if he changed his direction for ACN. We know that he promoted McKenzie and, perhaps, he took Leona's advise about "fighting" with the news division as a positive tactic. But we don't know what's going to happen. It's in the future, and only a possibility.

Wow, I could care less about Maggie's roommate. I doubt she even has a roommate anymore.

That is a very good question. :agree:

I'll have to watch that scene again. When it was explained, I accepted it and moved on. Mainly because I like the comic relief usually provided by Sloan.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thought that was a great ending. Loved how it gave so much of the missing backstory.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  4. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Must be me. I still couldn't understand most of Slone's dialogue with her rapid British accent. Probably the most annoying part, for me, of watching this otherwise well written and well cast show.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never noticed Sloan having a British accent

inaptitude likes this.
  6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

She doesn't.

7. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Sorry, I got my characters mixed up. I meant MacKenzie's British accent.

8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

An excellent last episode with nice, revealing links to the very first one! It was a pity this series was only 6 episodes long, but that's better than last series dragging on for too long with half-baked plots (Dexter!!).
    The ending was no real surprise for any Sorkin-follower and it was moving and sentimental. And I loved that!

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think the fact that Charlie knew that Will would go along with all of the changes in the show because of his love for Mac, and really for no other reason, and that Mac knew this, kind of changes how I looked at her hiring.

Yes, this bothered me as well.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The people walking back and forth were attractive women, and Will was checking them out. Jeff Daniels did a great job of making subtle glances at these women while still carrying on a conversation. Excellent scene! Give it another viewing...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Yovra likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Solid ending. Liked seeing some back story on how Mac was hired.

What is the significance of the tie Charlie's wife gave Don?

12. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I think it's because she (Charlie's wife) is trying to assuage Don's misplaced feelings of guilt by presenting the tie. She's telling Don that Charlie was, (or would have been) very proud of Don for refusing to run the college rape story in defiance of Pruit's brand of agressive, flash journalism.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

thanks chris..

14. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Anytime... That said, it's just a theory! :) I think at the very end, when Don and Sloan are huddled together looking at it, smiling, is when I put the pieces together.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Finally caught up with the last few episodes. I thought this season was really good and loved the last episode that both managed to wrap things up and give us an insight into how things started - clever. I'll miss this show.

Vidiot and chacha like this.
  16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

A great final episode to a great show. I'm really going to miss these characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.