Best tower speakers in the 2-3k range?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by atl1, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm finally upgrading to towers after having bookshelves for about a 2 and half years. I listen to pretty much all genres, but mainly rock. If there are other threads like this please point me in their direction. Thanks.

2. atl1

Obviously I want to make a decision im fully content with cuz these are going to be my speakers for a long time.... so any advice would be very helpful :)

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

What do you like about what you have now, and what more do you want? Still have you Rotel amp?

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Recent Stereophile review gushes over the Monitor Audio Silver 10 towers which I think hit your price range.

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I like (on paper) the Monitor Audio Silver series ... Kal R. just did a review on the 8s in Stereophile, and mentioned the 10 would likely have more bass ... these would be in your range price-wise, I think.

Many many many to choose from ... maybe the Atlantic Technology AT-1s would be another choice ...?
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/atlantic-technology-1-loudspeaker

DALI, KEF, B&W, the list goes on and on ...

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Why such a narrow frequency range? :D

To add to the names already mentioned, consider PSB Imagine T (or T2) or Vandersteen 1Ci or 2 Ce Signature II.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Go around to your closest dealers who have decent gear and listen to as many speakers in your price range that you can. You should find something that you like. Don't worry about brand name so much, rather focus on what you like sonically and which models deliver that. You will encounter some shops that have a tiered brand arrangement of how they display and recommend products. If this happens, they will keep bringing up whatever brand they are trying to sell. Ask to hear the other speakers, whether they act like you're making a mistake or not. Some dealers do not have your interest at heart, while others do (as long as you buy something, of course). No dealer likes people that make them jump through hoops and then leaves, never to return. If you go to enough places, you will find some that you like and you will be able to buy them there.
    -Bill

jupiterboy likes this.
  8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

It is a good time to buy speakers in that price range. It is actually hard to find bad speakers ..lol
    So just let your eyes and ears decide. But you must ask and answer the follwing questions. What size is your listening room and what kind of amp do you have
    In most cases bookshelves are actually the better choice. If yu are a sucker for Bass you can always add 1 or 2 subwoofers and get proper stands. In the end these will take up nearly the same space as floorstanders BUT you get more technique, chassis, electronic parts in less wood. If your room is smaller than say12 by 15 feet (or vice versa) bookshelves are always the better choice. If you choose these smaller speakers you can get higher quality gear.
    Some brand new models, that would be out of your price range as floorstanders come into your option.
    JAMO C 103
    http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/bookshelf/?sku=C103
    -----
    Sonus faber Venere 2.0
    http://www.audio.de/testbericht/sonus-faber-venere-2-0-test-1525139.html

----------
    B+W CM Series, maybe even the top model with that extra High Tweeter
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.de/Lautsprecher/Heimaudio/CM_Series/CM6-S2.html

Of course you get great value from Monitor Audio, Phonar or T+A..even JBL got some new speakers, that are said to sound great.
    Of course the floorstander versions are superior in bigger rooms with fatter amps but good compact speakers esp. coaxial or active bookshelves image better and bring less problems with a booming bass or where to place them properly.
    My 2 cents

9. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Ascend Sierra Towers -you owe it to yourself to audition these. You can try them in your own home for 30 days and send them back if you don't like.

wilejoe, Bill Mac and farmingdad like this.
  10. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

Doing the same type of research and am going to look at the Totem line this weekend hopefully. Seems like the Hawks are pretty well regarded, but have listened to the Sonus Faber Venere and B&W 804s and CM 8/9 so far with good impressions, but nothing that screamed I must buy these now!

11. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

While you're doing your research be sure to visit a dealer that carries Paradigm.

Raider4life likes this.
  12. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

The best? Tekton Pendragons. :D

[​IMG]

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Whichever Dynaudio model meets that budget requirement

14. putz

putz Forum Resident

Consider used speakers that you can audition in the owner's home. Best bang for your buck. My Salk HT3s are not for sale but you're welcome to come hear them. They go for around $2,500 to $3,000 used.

jupiterboy likes this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

You're going to get recommendations pretty much based on what people own, so here's mine: Golden Ear Triton 2, with built-in powered bass section.

John K.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

NHT Fours.

17. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I'll second the Paradigm recommendation...quality product.

18. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Find yourself a used pair of Soliloquy 6.5 and never look back. Should you be fortunate enough to score a pair you will be looking at $30k+ to better them.

19. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I recommended the Sierra Towers. I don't own them but have done enough research to know these speakers are serious players. I went with their bookshelf version due to room size. No matter what you do take your time and get as many in your home as possible. Internet Direct is the way to go. I owned a nice pair of Paradigms towers and they are very good speakers with great detail, but the Sierra's beat them easily. Good luck and most importantly enjoy the journey!

wilejoe likes this.
  20. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

The Revel performance series are the best speakers I've heard under $10k. The F206 may be in your price range. I didn't believe all the hype until I heard them in person.

Blair G., Rick58 and jupiterboy like this.
  21. Drew D. Saur

Drew D. Saur Forum Resident

The Totem Hawks are indeed worth a listen, but they love lots of well-controlled solid state power.

22. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Is this $2-3k on a brand new speaker? or used... I picked up a well kept used Totem Forests. Freakin' amazing.

ramdom likes this.
  23. atl1

New

Thanks for all the recommendations everybody. So many to consider im kind of overwhelmed

Rick58 likes this.
  24. atl1

Do people prefer a dedicated subwoofer cuz im about to demo some b&w cm9's and golden ear triton 3 and 7 With and without a dedicated subwoofer

25. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Some people like them. I thin the Golden Ears have a powered sub built into the base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.