Time Traveler liquidation sale starts Jan 2, 2010 (Cuyahoga Falls OH)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeP5877, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Well it's been over 6 months since I stopped in last. He appears to be trying to cash in on the vinyl craze.
    Like other stores, he's pricing flea market junk for 8-$10. I can find far better quality copies at record shows for 2-$3. The place is still a mess though - I bought nothing.
    What's funny is that his buddy who occasionally would run the register for him tried to talk me into a variety of boots while extolling the virtues of the guy ("I've know him for 25 years, he's among my best friends + My loyalty is to him & I never shop anywhere else".)
    The real kicker is that I was at The Exchange the next day & he comes running towards me with a bunch of stuff he was buying & tried to hit on the cute girl who was already busy helping me. - I spent $$ there.
    This guy who I will not name also begged me not to tell Scott that I saw him + he reeked of beer.
    The insanity never ends.... That completes your update!! :laugh:

I forgot to mention that Scotts' personal collection is back on the wall behind the counter.
    I guess he's been able to pay the rent these days...

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I saw on their facebook page that they are opening a "store" on Amazon.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's crazy that this place was supposed to close three years ago but it's still going!

4. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I can't resist bumping this yet again, but I spotted Scott (the owner) recently at the local Giant Eagle with his cart full of Labatt Blue & Heineken. I guess he must be doing well these days. :laugh:

5. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Well, they do have a $7 rebate on the Labatt 24 packs going on! Yum.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is time traveler still open?

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump

8. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Yes, he's still hanging on. No motivation to drop in again for awhile yet.

9. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I hate to give this horse yet another beating...:D
    I was at the Fairview Park record show yesterday & one of the dealers (a local CF celebrity who should probably remain nameless) told me that Scott offered to sell him all of his vinyl for 50 cents apiece. Apparently his house has been foreclosed on & the store building owner has had enough. I told him that this guy has cried wolf too often before & he explained that this time there's almost no chance of saving it. If something is gonna happen, it'll be very very soon.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's right after the Black Friday weekend or Christmas at the latest. He might just take all the money he can & run.
    I told this dealer he should consider buying him out if the price was right. He does have the means to do so & make a go of it.
    Then Cuyahoga Falls would be Rockin' every day! (you locals might guess who I'm talking about, but I didn't say it.)

I will likely stop in this weekend after hearing this & see for myself (with cash in pocket too in case he really is ready to deal on some stuff).

10. MikeP5877

We just passed the 4-year anniversary of the liquidation sale. :cheers:

Anyone been there lately?

11. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I was in there last week & it looks about the same as 6 months before. No real indication of impending doom. He has someone helping him price stuff & I watched this guy slap a $20 sticker right on the cover of a nice Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland LP. Too cheap or stupid not to have put that in a sleeve first & probably ruined the cover. I'm just waiting till I can go through those promo posters ect. & get some cheap. That's all he's got that's of any interest.

12. MikeP5877

After "cleaning" the record first with some windex and a dirty towel....

Locutus67 likes this.
  13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

ex-Mayor Robart? I hear he's looking for something to do...

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know how he is staying open..........

15. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Ha Ha - good guess though. Actually, it was Rockin' On The River promoter Bob Earley.

16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

There's an article in today's Akron Beacon Journal - Time Traveler is having an "Eviction Sale". Not an ad, but another article by "Malcolm X. Abram".
    More free advertising for the worst businessman in Ohio.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i can't believe he is still there.

how is it possible, there was nothing to buy last year at this time and i know he is not spending money on anything to sell in the store.

worst businessman in ohio is the perfect moniker for him, buying used CD's and selling them as new. selling poorly burned CD-R's as new CD's with inferior artwork.

he probably should be in jail for things he has done. he used to sell illegal (grey area) CD's by the boatload back in the day.

did the article explain "eviction"?

18. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I saw the Thursday newspaper article yesterday when I was down visiting my parents. It said he had "lost his lease" because he hadn't been able to keep up with the rent payments, and has to be out of the space by the end of this month. Everything in the store would be 40% off except the "new releases" -- supposedly so he would have something to start over with in a new smaller location. According to the story, if he sells as much stuff off with this sale that he is anticipating, then he will have plenty to finance his new start-over plan with. The article then went on to extol what a great guy Scott is, and everyone should support him in this "Eviction Sale". It even had two photos of him in the store which make it look still jam-packed with stuff all over. Wow :sigh:

I laughed to myself when I saw the article, thinking of this thread that has been going on for years.

19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

For any of you who want to talk to Scott and find out where everything from the "eviction sale" ended up, you will most likely find him at The Akron Civic Theater in January 2015, as his wife, (Akron singing legend), Tracey Thomas, performs the Billie Holiday songbook!

Tickets are going fast :biglaugh:...

http://www.akroncivic.com/site/page.php?id=422&eventid=1822

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Did anyone confirm it actually happened this time, or yet another false alarm?

21. Chris C

Ohio locals, you may not have heard the bad news, but, apparently a few weeks ago, George shut down "Checkered Records" in Canton. I had not heard any news of this, so it came as a shock when I was sitting outside his store on Friday and they weren't open. No signs to prove the fact that they were permanently closed and the store was still in tack, but another local record store owner told me that George's health had sadly taken a turn for the worse and that other customers of his said that he couldn't run the store anymore.

George has been in business since the late 80's and he was always the nicest guy, who was as laid back as anyone is allowed to be. George always bought and sold records and CD's that were in great condition and he was always super fair with his pricing. I will truly miss him and his small quaint store and I thank him for always being EVERYTHING that anyone could ever want, for a great music shopping experience! From now on, whenever I hear Elvis Costello or Joe Jackson, I will always think of you George and all of the happy memories that I hold in my head of you and your store!

I should add that, George was everything that Scott at "Time Traveler", never was.

maushauss and bw like this.
  22. MikeP5877

Happy 5 Year Anniversary :cheers:

I suspect I've sold more in the last couple weeks.... :shh:

23. Chris C

Sounds like this time Scott even had the mayor of Cuyahoga Falls trying to get the buildings owner to save him, but it doesn't appear to have worked?

http://www.wksu.org/news/story/41387

Maybe he should have had Chrissie Hynde come back to save him? Oh wait, she couldn't come back, because "Her City Was Gone", which is even more bad news for that mayor!!!

24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I drove by Tuesday and the store was closed but all his stuff was apparently still inside.
    Scott, get your stuff out of there and let the property owner rent the storefront to another businessman who pays the rent.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he will re-surface in a different location, it won't be long.

something tells me he doing a decent enough internet business to keep it running, as for the rent, he is the kind of guy would do what he could to get free money anywhere he could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.