43 years later: Semi-Annual Beatles Nagra Tape Replay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, the thing is, I've read the Get Back! book so many times that I actually decided that since I have the set I might as well slog through it if for no other reason but to actually hear what the book describes. At only about 45 minutes a day, though, it is pretty slow going...I'll probably end up taking breaks here and there, I'm sure.
    Oh yeah, I lashed together a couple of compilations (again, using the Get Back! book as a reference) when I first got the A/B Road set a couple of years ago. I also made a comp called "The Ultimate Get Back Sessions" which is basically a fusion of the 'best' Twickenham/Apple outtakes and discussions, Glyn Johns' Get Back LP, Anthology 3 and the Let It Be album. It's my 'go-to' version for that era.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

I'm attempting the full AB Road in order on the right day - just made it through day two. up to this point the lads sound like they're having good fun, although George's woeful attempts at the 'bend' guitar bit in 'I've Got A Feeling' are hard to understand - he still hasn't got it right(yet).
    Wish me luck!

Hep Alien and Rfreeman like this.
  3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

One of my favorite John moments is the run-through of Across The Universe where John sings "nothing's gonna change my world.. I wish it fu**ing would!" Anyone know what day that version was taped? Jan 6th? Other than George's awful wah-wah playing I don't think the Jan '69 versions of ATU are that bad. Not good mind you but still fascinating to hear them play that song 'live'...

theMess likes this.
  4. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

Michael Lindsey Hogg comes out of it great -
    him "I listend to 'Two Virgins'
    Yoko "did you like it?"
    him "no"
    then he goes on about how stockhausen and cage do it better. Great stuff.

mmars982 and Mike Visco like this.
  5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I wonder what percentage was filmed. I was thinking it was all filmed, and found out that was not the case.

From what I have heard, a great alternate Let It Be film could be made. But that depends a lot on what was filmed.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  6. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Well, there IS at least one alternate 'Let It Be' film.

7. The one you're referring to was recorded on January 7th, and I would say is the best of the lot - indeed, the only one to me where John sounds emotionally vested in it...

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I recall hearing some fun & interesting moments in the "imports" I had years ago.
    All those damn beeps made them too tedious to listen to very often. Purged them and don't miss them.

A highlights comp would be welcome, I guess...

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

What's that? Parts of Anthology could qualify.

10. Rfreeman

Don't really get the beeps complaint. Sure it would be better without them, but beeps that last under a half second really don't have much impact on my enjoyment of the best source material demonstrating the Beatles working together writing and arranging their original material.

Especially given how many people here seem to have no problem listening past all the clicks and surface noise that vinyl listening provides

11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Said it elsewhere here-not everything on nagra was filmed, and not everything performed at Apple was tracked. As expensive as film and multitrack reels could have been EVEN to the Beatles, imagine how much great stuff there would be if it was all filmed, and everything at Apple was tracked. At the very least, if it was all video-taped. The Revolution and Hey Jude videos were done in both media.

theMess likes this.
  12. Mike Visco

I would also think modern digital edits could get rid of much of the beeps through technology and some clever cut and paste.

theMess likes this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Is there? Do you mean the one that the Beatles originally turned down, and had re-edited?

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes. I am all for the re-release of the original version, but only if the 'best of the rest' is also released. It would be even better if a new film was made from the available footage, but I can't see Apple ever doing it, unfortunately.

Hep Alien and linclink like this.
  15. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I think it's a little different than vinyl noise. The beeps are so jarring & loud (at least on the stuff I heard).
    The random, "roll two, camera A" announcements also got in the way of my enjoyment.

If you can get past it, here's to ya.

:cheers:

YMMV.

16. Rfreeman

If they can't get past quibbling over what to release because of sensitivities over the disputes that made various members look bad, it would be nice to see a release of just the key filmed musical performances from the month - which might be easier to agree upon doing.

Hep Alien and Mike Visco like this.
  17. Mike Visco

I will say it until I'm blue in the face- they can screw "the movie" and just give us the live performances. I have it! It is an album length DVD of full stereo of the Beatles performing the album live. I Me Mine and Across the Universe use reverse syncing (syncing the rehearsals to the final studio versions). Using the restored film and 5.1 would knock it out of the park, and everyone would shut up about the movie.

18. Mike Visco

I converted it and was going to put it on youtube, but Apple has been pretty vigilant lately, so I held off.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Do you have footage for all of your version?

linclink likes this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would love to see it, it sounds fantastic.

linclink and Mike Visco like this.
  21. Mike Visco

The copy I have edited footage from the movie I believe along with other sources, though I believe the stereo song source is from Glynn Johns' two versions. Dig It is also on there along with of course Don't Let Me Down- brilliant watching them play it in stereo without the fade away sounds when the movie shifts to the street. I'm not sure they used footage from Anthology, as that footage is much crisper and available in 5.1.

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Createa new youtube account and put it up man. The worst that can happen is that they take down the video....(or close the account, but that only happens in very extreme cases)

theMess likes this.
  23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I played the Get Back Journals vinyl box once -- all the way through. It's pretty cool, but also an exercise in focus and dedication. I can't see playing it completely through ever again. But I do like spinning a select LP from time to time.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Wasn't that the solo that spawned his on-camera "or I won't play at all" tiff with Paul?

25. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

When the restoration of the film was done just after 'Anthology', there was a second, alternate version intended for the second DVD in the 2-disc set (all previously unseen footage).

elvissinatra and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.