Concerts closed with a deep track.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Picca, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm not really a lyrics person, although the lyrics on that album were especially bad all around. I could tell there was some sort of increased religious subject matter on it, which didn't help either. Just musically, they spent 4 years making that album and came up with zero great hooks or choruses...stuff like "Magnificent" spent 5-6 minutes searching for a chorus that never really happened. That's okay if you're Rush, but great hooks and brilliant pop songs are what U2 does. I was ready to be proven wrong, as there's several U2 songs I didn't "get" until I heard them played live, but then I spent two nights in Soldier Field watching song after song fall completely flat in front of 68,000 people. Hopefully the new album will fare better, even if very few people are going to get to see it.

2. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I was at the Detroit show when this was performed. We had not heard of the tune, but the laser light show that accompanied that song was nothing short of amazing. It left quite an impact.
    Fortunately the show was released on an album not long after, with Soily intact. Personally, I liked the song.
    A typical McCartney rocker. From what I've read over the years, it was performed when they did their bus tour throughout Europe in'72.

In the late 70's, I saw Rod Stewart play "Do You Think I'm Sexy" twice in the same show, once during the show, and then as an encore. This is after preforming nothing more than a 10 min medley of anything Faces or early solo related. I lost all respect for Rod that night and have boycotted him ever since.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What did he say??

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I said I felt disappointed that Bowie had abandoned his "no more hits live" stance, he said something like "I changed my mind - is that okay with you?" Pretty sure there was sarcasm behind the "is that okay with you?" part! :D

supermd likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:laugh: Great interaction!

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Dan Fogelberg closed with There's a Place in the World for a Gambler in the early 80's when I saw him. Definitely a deep cut.

7. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

See my post earlier in this thread.

8. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Pearl Jam has closed hundreds of shows with Yellow Ledbetter, a b-side.

9. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Is this available anywhere on DVD?

10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Those were the first that came to mind when I saw the thread. I thought both were outstanding songs to close those shows to. The audience had been taken on quite a journey of multi-media stimulation then to end on those was a great way to come down. Loved the astrology video playing during "Love is Blindness", pretty much perfect.

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Sorry, due respect. I saw the show in October of 1981 at the old Capitol Centre in Landover, Maryland.

12. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Well it wasn't a deep track, but I still thought it was odd that Rod Stewart closed his show with a sad song, The First Cut Is The Deepest. I think he had just broken up with Britt Ekland at the time. :)

Jim Carroll Band closed their shows with a cover of Sweet Jane which I don't think was on a record.

13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Wang Chung closed a set last year with "I Never Want To Love You In A Half-Hearted Way".

14. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Steely Dan, rarities night at the Beacon: This Mobile Home. Often used as a set-closer by them in the 70s but never released (studio or live). Was GREAT.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Buffett closes just about every show with a deep cut-- usually a cover or old album track that he does solo.

BayouTiger likes this.
  16. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

Ha! Result!

How exactly did the dear old Dame admonish you? He is a touchy old sod!

Yes, standing next to moi for the latter. ☺️

17. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I saw Paul Simon do this in 1990 on the Rhythm of The Saints tour. He played You Can Call Me Al, got a great reaction then said "well let's do that one again". I was only 12 at the time, and loved this song, so I thought it was great. But it's pretty strange in retrospect.

18. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

The Who closed their Quadrophenia concerts in 2012 with "Tea & Theatre" from Endless Wire.

19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The Police used to play a repeat at the end of their early shows. I taped a radio broadcast that had 2 versions of Can't Stand Losing You.
    Springsteen played Dancing In The Dark twice at the opening night of the BitUSA tour to film the video.

As for deep cut closers, my first Dead show had Attics of My Life as the encore, only the 4th time played since 1972. (3/30/1990)

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Go back to post 129! :)

21. stevepafford

Yes, standing next to moi for the latter. ☺️
    I don't see post numbers in threads.

stepeanut likes this.
  22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Don't forget my legendary infiltration of the birthday show soundcheck :cool:

23. stevepafford

Or my even more legendary interview outside the venue broadcast on GMTV the following morning.

stepeanut likes this.
  24. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Probably already stated but pearl jam seem to often close shows with yellow Ledbetter, so much so that song (a b-side) became one of their biggest songs.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

When I saw Judas Priest this year they ended the show (final encore) with "Defenders Of The Faith" which I thought was not only an oddball choice, but a total buzzkill after what was a great show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.