Simple Minds, new Album: Big Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stuart S, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

2. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

3. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

The album as a whole is probably among the weaker releases but I'll admit that I thought the song was a great one and just needed something................I think they found it with this arrangement. "Bittersweet" has great music to it but the lyrics are lacking, I'll wholeheartedly agree that "Liaison" should have been on the album and could definitely be a single. The music throughout the bonus disc is outstanding and for the most part the vocals compliment the tracks. I'm not so sure that repeating "Sweet sweet love" is very bold or daring though.

4. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Bittersweet tends to get far too repetitive to be memorable. Agree on the lyrics being substandart as well, the track needs some miles to go. Halfbaked, but with interesting flourishes nontheless.

Slightly OTT, but there's a deluxe edition of Sparkle In The Rain on the horizon next year, Steve Wilson mixes and presentation like the recent Tears For Fears box set reissues. Details on Amazon.

morgan1098, JeffMo and Stuart S like this.
  5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack Thread Starter

Remy and JeffMo like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I hope this doesn't stop a second 5x5 box, but this Sparkle box does look great!

Stuart S likes this.
  7. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack Thread Starter

Maybe the master and biggest fan other than me of SITR should make a new thread on it?? Where are you Havoc?

8. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Not sure how to say this without sounding like I feel like "I make the decisions around here" which I certainly do not but I asked GLM if he'd like to have this one as he posted the news of it. Just didn't want people feeling like he decided to post the thread as some sort of assertion of authority. I haven't seen any kind of internal politics here and it's a great group of members and even though I appreciated your suggestion I thought it the right thing to do in asking he of the Neil Tennant swatch to get that one going.

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

11. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

WOW! That Sparkle set looks great. What a surprise. I'm kind of shocked they didn't do something like this for NGD first...

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

There are a couple more weeks, but Big Music might be my favorite new release of 2014.

morgan1098 likes this.
  14. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

I may have to agree. As much as I like U2's Songs of Innocence, Big Music is a superb listen all the way through. I really dig "Concrete and Cherry Blossom". The bass line sounds incredible in my car!

JeffMo likes this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm a big fan of both groups, but didn't expect this much quality out of either at this stage of the game!

cber1517 likes this.
  16. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

It has some fine moments, but why on earth isn't Charlie Burchill's guitar more prominent? Apart from that, the album has an idiosyncratic "modern" sound. The band wouldn't have let a mix like this through on the nod back in their heyday.

17. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

The perfect music to accompany a drive!

[​IMG]

howlinrock, dino77, cber1517 and 3 others like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I do wish Kerr had rewritten the inane "sunscreen" lyrics on Rooftop though. I makes me cringe!

19. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I wish they had re-worked Jet Black The Night if they were gonna do a Lostboy tune. It's far superior to Kill Or Cure imo.

godslonelyman likes this.
  20. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

All the above are very valid IMO. That suncream-sunscreen with all the La-la-la literally made me emit some sort of Scooby Doo noise. Now, about that compression...........a max DR of 6? Jumpin' Jahosephat! After the dynamic goodness that is the Daft Punk album I'd figure that maybe they would have started a bit of a trend and Simple Minds do not strike me as a band who would grab an Alex Da Kidd and compress the livin' crap out of everything a' la Imagine Dragons. I'm thinking there are some stunning sonics in there with the quality of musicians in the band and it's buried in there just dying to come out. Just as an aside, we bought our daughter a turntable for Christmas so I popped out my old SM vinyl and some of it sounds dead, especially Empires and Dance. Does anyone here still play their vinyl from back in the day? What do you think or is that material for a different thread? I'm back out of my hellacious travel schedule and can commit some time again so I thought I'd try and breathe some life back into this..............and work on my PSB and OMD threads.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

22. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

Looking forward to their North American leg of the tour. I am guessing that may occur between May and November based on the dates on their tour so far. Between this real strong album and their back catalog these shows should be great.

howlinrock likes this.
  23. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

+1

24. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

for those still looking, I got the 2cd&DVD boxed edition thru walmart.com for $18 (sent to my local store for me to pickup to avoid shipping charges)

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.