The Lilac Time - 2 decades behind or 15 years ahead of its time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Dec 2, 2007.

1. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I dig em, thanks for reminding me of this band, just listened to their first album brings back good memories

2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Hadn't heard that one in a while. Very nice.

3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Well, I'm pleased to find so much warm appreciation of such a warm, appreciable band. For the record, my favourite albums are the first, self-titled one and 'Astronauts' - so much exquisite songwriting on those two discs, and the production is much more sympathetic than the second and third albums, in my opinion. After that, all of the solo albums and later Lilac Time albums have their fair share of superb tracks, but I don't think any of the albums measure up to those two as a whole.

A career compilation should be a head-to-toe thrill ride of sparkling Beatlesque pop and sublime Drakean melancholy (or both, in the case of great songs like 'Needle Mythology', 'Don't Feed the Rats' and 'One Day One of These F**ks Will Change Your Life'), but I agree that 'Memory and Desire' was a washout in this regard. Definitely not recommended as a starting point, though I do love its radical, hypnotically sombre reworking of 'Kiss Me'. That version, and the Lilac Time's one, demonstrate that it's a song with real meat on its bones despite its frothy synthpop origins.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, here's hoping he actually gets the new album out in the coming year. Was supposed to be this year, but the website hasn't been updated in ages...

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

and he promised a double album for this year, so maybe by next year it'll be a triple..haha...all things must pass and all.

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

According to his Twitter feed, it's 2014 now.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Spring bump

Clarkophile likes this.
  8. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Duffy's trying to beat out Roddy Frame as far as time in between releases.

9. manicpopthrill

It's now scheduled for Spring 2015.....not going to do my happy dance just yet though.

The new album – No Sad Songs by The Lilac Time – will be released worldwide by Tapete and her partners between the 17th and 21st of April 2015.

It will be available as a compact disc, a long playing vinyl album and as a digital download. The album will include a compact disc.

edit:
    http://thelilactime.com/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    e.s., arob71, botley and 1 other person like this.
  10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Well, that's good news. :)

11. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

"I can see you on the bars of your brothers bicycle, now I hope you're not alone." - genius line, somehow resonates with me.

12. manicpopthrill

arob71 and Guy E like this.
  13. manicpopthrill

Nobody does melancholy reflection quite like Duffy.

Guy E likes this.
  14. DJ WILBUR

this is GREAT news!

15. manicpopthrill

16. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

one of my favorite band, got all their records and stephen duffy too! amazing stuff for pop lovers

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Always heartening to receive fresh Lilac Time news.

At one time, I owned almost their complete discography, plus Stephen's various solo projects. Only had the pleasure of seeing him perform live once, a solo gig in Vienna, January 1999. Such an under-appreciated talent.

18. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

I've been a fan of Lilac Time since their first album, but they don't seem ahead or behind their time to me. I like Paradise Circus more than the first album, and I agree that Astronauts is a gem. The tone of the latter reminds me a bit of Bill Pritchard's Three Months, Three Weeks & Two Days, which came out a year or two earlier.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Very happy this is coming out on vinyl!

20. manicpopthrill

21. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Just gave a listen to the sample tracks. Almost symphonic in arrangement. Not quite sure how I rate this yet. I'll be interested in opinions when folks get the complete album.

Thanks for posting the info.

Cheers,
    Paul

22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

[​IMG]

I picked this up last weekend at Other Music and am enjoying it a lot.

It's a departure of sorts while still sounding like a familiar old friend. It's not as overtly 60's-centric and Beatles-esque as some of Stephen Duffy's past work. It feels like a natural, unassuming progression. Duffy put great care and detail into the production and arrangements.

A very welcome addition to a most excellent catalog. Nobody does pastoral pop and baroque folk quite like The Lilac Time.

Clarkophile likes this.
  23. DJ WILBUR

yeah I quite like this one...Shame he hasn't found a larger audience, such a good songwriter.

e.s. and Clarkophile like this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Checked out the new album, but it's not resonating with me. In part, I can't get used to the lower vocal register that Mr. Duffy now inhabits. But the man is an overlooked genius. For my money, the first LT album. Astronauts and Music In Colours are essential. Oh, and Looking For a Day in the Night was a great comeback.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Getting some bad reviews in the UK press because it turns out that the album actually has some sad songs. They are suggesting that Tin Tin Duffy is making claims for his music that he can't back up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015