How would YOU fix the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Wow,Crown Of Creation!:laugh:

Adam9 and dkmonroe like this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

More like, "Just ignore it and maybe they'll get desperate enough to induct your favorite artist."

starduster likes this.
  3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I would probably change the name to something more all encompassing of music than just Rock and Roll. Some inductees have obviously already stretched the boundaries but if the official name was changed we wouldn't have the annual sh$tfest because certain artists artist don't meet the criteria for Rock and Roll.

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Right well that opens up the whole discussion about defining rock and roll. I don't know if the hall has an official definition.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Just have Seth Rogen and James Franco make a movie about interviewing Jann Wenner.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This is a good point. There's a whole lotta artists out there who deserve recognition but don't deserve the arguing over whether or not they're "rock'n'roll." A broader net would solve at least that.

7. BRush

BRush Senior Member

RonBaker likes this.
  8. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I've long said it was something of a misnomer. Call it the "Popular Music Hall of Fame" or something, if just to answer to the (myopic and, frankly, ignorant) view point that "rap/R&B doesn't belong." It's all branched from the same tree.

I mean, yeah it's kinda dumb that Green Day is in there now. But then...I was in 8th grade when Dookie came out, and before you knew it, I was listening to the Descendents and calling GD "sellouts." So there you go.

(GD *are* sellouts, too. People forget...rock music is business, even punk. Always was.)

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Kidnap Eddie Vedder and Springsteen and hold them prisoner until our demands are met.

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

[​IMG]

11. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Hmmmm.....I don't know....maybe pull out all the non-rock acts??? Madonna, Run-DMC, Abba and the rest of them. Gone!

That way there's plenty of room for other rock acts who deserve the accolades more than them in a Rock HOF. Sure, I know Madonna is a pop queen or whatever, but that doesn't mean she belongs in the Rock Hall and more than Zeppelin belongs in the Rap Hall.

12. Once you define rock and roll, you have sort of emasculated it.

Adam9 likes this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't buy that. If the phrase is to have any meaning and if you're going to say x y or Z artist has had an impact on rock's development you need to have an idea of what rock and roll is.

numer9 likes this.
  14. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think the problem already starts with the name "Hall of Fame". Is "fame" what Rock'n Roll is all about?
    From the other side of the world this institution looks pretty much like a big hype, the makers want to bath in the fame of well known musicians. And try to put themselves into some jury position with the power to decide, who is worthy or not. But in the end what they do is pointless. What do artists actually have from being "in" some museum in Cleveland? Nothing against Cleveland.

Benn Kempster likes this.
  15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

No, because that implies there's someone I'd like them to induct.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes! That and money!

Rock'n'roll is totally about fame and money. That it has occasionally produced great art is a happy accident. :)

Adam9, longaway, Helmut and 1 other person like this.
  17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

It's hard because a huge demographic of this forum would probably rather see pretty much every 60's band that was remotely successful get in before we even get close to a 90's Grunge/Punk type of vote. I'm sure younger people on say maybe a different forum think of Green Day as a no brainer for induction.
    I know we shouldn't compare the RRHOF to something like the Baseball HOF but even with baseball the way I look at it I think a lot of attention should be spent on how they did with in their era and judged against contemperaries of that era.
    You could argue that Green Day were easily one of the defining rock groups of the 90's/00's (whether the 90's were a good musical decade is a whole nother argument that we seem to have weekly here). They had huge success, critical acclaim, long career, etc. I wouldn't say they were that original but I think realistically changes in music over the past few decades happen in such small increments that it is not necessarily reasonable to have substantial impact. In early Rock N Roll pretty much every small step/evolvement was a new revelation.

18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

How would I fix the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame?
    I think the most effective agent of change would
    be a well-placed Tomahawk missile strike.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Hey, it could be worse-you could have Pitchfork running it.

20. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Get rid of it!!

21. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

There is nothing wrong with the Rock Hall.

MarkO, Adam9 and Oatsdad like this.
  22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Madonna's in, Deep Purple's not. LOL.

23. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

"And we now take you to the One Direction Wing. . ."

24. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

In terms of the museum element -- a place encompassing the history and milestones and stuff of (American-originated) popular music culture, I'd just make the whole shebang an offshoot of the Smithsonian or something on that order -- a national and international place of commemoration, preservation, celebration, viewing, study, and research.

But in terms of "inducting" people or any of that jive, yeah, I'd bury it. You don't need a "hall of fame" for pop musicians. The ones who are/were important, interesting, popular, or influential are already famous (on some level). They're written about in history books and music criticism, they're contained in Allmusic and other reference sources, their music is still listened to and performed by bands who credit them as influences. People sit around on sites like this and talk about them until we're blue in the face. That's really all the "hall of fame" anybody needs.

25. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

Combining a couple of arguments here, how about calling it the "Popular Music Hall of Achievement". You can define "achievement " as popularity, quality, innovation, whatever you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.