Upcoming Sony movies leaked online after hack.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by progrocker71, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I think the movie concept is pretty stupid anyway. I'd you want to mess with the lunatic fringe...get ready. These people do not play.

2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I've learned long ago NEVER to let your true feelings be known via company email, as it may be used against you at some point.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I did, once. For many years, I was involved with New York's 92nd Street YM-YWHA (Hebrew Association). Shortly after he came out of hiding but while the fatwa remained (and before 9/11), Salman Rushdie, let us know that he wanted to give a reading at our Poetry Center. I was on the committee that had to decide whether to invite him. This was a committee of people passionate about literature and, alongside that, freedom of expression. In the end we said no. One of the most painful decisions of my life. We felt fairly confident that with extra security we could prevent an incident on the night of his reading, but how could we protect the 1000s of people, from nursery school children to senior citizens, who might visit the Y on the day (or month or year) after? And as we were a Jewish institution, we felt we would be a prime target.

I am pleased to say Mr. Rushdie has appeared at the Y a number of times since.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think its a hilarious concept. But I'm curious what "lunatic fringe" you think anyone should be scared of here? If this were a movie about a certain religion, then I could see the fear that it might inspire some lone wolf with sympathies to act. But I don't think for a second there are North Korean sympathizers or Kim Jong fanatics in our midst ready to lay down their lives and go into a theater to commit violence until the police show up and shoot them.

Hackers can hack. They can't turn people into sleeper soldiers or create fanatical soldiers out of thin air. Any threat about this movie "The Interview" is pretty laughable.

mikeyt and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I have to admit I'm a little let down the movie was pulled. However, I'm not the one who knows any inside info or responsible if someone gets killed. Christmas day is a big $$$ for movies. It may be more for people staying clear from other films showing in same complexes that is the motivating factor. Although I think there is nothing to worry about, I can see why precautions are being implemented. Could you imagine being the one pounding their fist on the table "we are showing the film Christmas day!!!!" and then something bad really happens. That would be hard to live with. Double edged sword......Cowardice for pulling movie....Irresponsible if you don't and something happens

mikeyt likes this.
  6. agentalbert

Complete cowardice that will only encourage this type of thing more.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So now that Hackers run Hollywood do they accept script submissions?

Michael likes this.
  8. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

I just got a news break on my phone saying the FBI has officially linked North Korea with the hacking.

9. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------
    I personally think not and I would not be responsible considering the world situation to put people in harms way. Have we learned nothing of the lunitic fringe who care little about us or the benefits to themselves for waging evil? To even think about making this movie only shows that Hollywood is out of fresh ideas. And now you have millions tied up in a movie presenting no income at a peak season. Yes, THAT was smart.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's what I'm afraid of.

Grant likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If someone threatens terrorist attacks over "Cars 3", I know where to send the authorities! :laugh:

jriems, Grant and Vidiot like this.
  12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

When I first heard about this, I thought HE was the "Sony Hack"..

Jeff

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes...

[​IMG]

"HACK THE PLANET!".

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OMG! that is hysterical Jeff, but I do like Adam!

15. Michael

who's to blame?

16. Michael

Can you imagine this happening years ago? no way, no how...we weren't a place to be screwed with...

17. Michael

this will change the way Hollywood does business...they will now have the fear of stepping on the wrong toes...this is a very sad time for us. BUT, we saw it coming. One threat will turn to many.

18. agentalbert

I still want to know who anyone who feared an attack on theaters thought would actually carry out the attack.

Grant likes this.
  19. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

This isn't new. They changed the remake of Red Dawn.

Anyway, it's best to not make a film about the killing of a current national leader these days.

21. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I disagree. Threats and intimidation from a twisted dictatorship should not have one ounce of influence on the ideas, however absurd or tasteless, we choose to express in this country (or in any country for that matter).

There is a difference between making a fictional, comedic movie about assassination and actually threatening assassination.

Vidiot and norman_frappe like this.
  22. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Pathetic >>>

"Two movie theaters that planned to show "Team America" in the wake of Sony canceling "The Interview," say that Paramount Pictures has banned the 2004 comedy from public screening.

Cleveland's Capitol Theatre and Atlanta's Plaza Atlanta both tweeted that Paramount pulled the movie on Thursday."

Source:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/18/paramount-cancels-team-america_n_6349752.html

Vidiot likes this.
  23. A lunatic like James Holmes who just needs something like this to push him over the cliff.

24. agentalbert

Why? We make movies about attacks on our own president - White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen, for example. Or shows about the attempted assasination of our president, like 24. Maybe there was even a successful assasination in there at some point, I can't remember. Or what about Homeland, where the purported "hero" of the show (debatable, but Brody wasn't really a villain either in the eyes of many) assasinates our vice president.

I see no reason "The Interview" is beyond any pale.

But that could happen at any movie. He wasn't political. That could happen at a concert. A restaurant. A parade. A street fair. Someone like that just chooses a place out of convenience and opportunity. To defend against that, you'd have to eliminate public gatherings of all sort. No thanks. I'll risk death by isolated madmen and go to the theater just as I risk death by crash everytime I drive.

There is no reason to think there are North Korean fantatics in our midst ready to go into theaters and die taking revenge on patrols for daring to watch this movie.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    sgtmono likes this.
  25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

"WE"
    This is theater owners and Sony making the decisions involving their private businesses.
    This is not a U.S. diplomacy tactic.
    Trying to make it so is agenda driven tripe.

This thread should be closed due to this kind of political wing nut speculation and accusation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.