Do you ever not buy a CD because you can listen to it on Spotify?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've saved myself money by listening first to an album on Spotify & then buying/not buying depending on my impressions. If I like something, I'll buy it tho- as has been said by others, the quality on Spotify isn't great & since I don't pay for the service, I'd quickly tire of the ads if I used it as a primary listening source.

I think it's really a valuable service for music shopping- I have come away with a negative impression of albums after listening to the samples provided on sites like Amazon, then listened to the entire track/album on Spotify & gotten a completely different impression.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

If there's ever anything I like, I wish to own it -- on physical media.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I have just recently noticed that if you select a particular album ("Classic Yes" is a good example), in the lower right-hand corner it says "1 More Release" & if you click on the button, it brings up a different version. BTW, this is using the web player version of the service. So, there are cases when it may look like only newer versions are available, but others may actually be there, just not obvious...

Lost In The Flood and tkl7 like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

whom do you think you are hurting with that attitude?

why would not take advantage of at least hearing something new and different every once in a while absolutely for free?

lots of new and different music can be discovered on spotify, it really is a godsend.

you are only punishing yourself.

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was referring to something in another post, and something I didn't know before joining, in that you do not have to stream (ie: you don't have to always be connected to the Internet). You can download albums, playlists, etc. to your device for offline listening. Not knowing that kept me away from Spotify for a while.

6. I've never used Spotify but I use youtube a lot to find thing I like. If I don't buy an album, it's because I don't care enough for the music or because I can't afford it.

7. I'll listen to music on Spotify, and if I really like it, I'll buy it. I love having the physical version of an album I like, the packing/cover art, the liner notes. If I don't really care for it,
    of course I won't buy it, and I'll never listen to it again. Not that different from going to my local record store and listening to a CD to see, if I like it. Spotify's just a lot more convenient.

I love Spotify. And yes, I have Premium in support of Spotify and the musicians (even if some of them still refuse to accept it).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Yes; however, I have also bought a CD because I heard stuff I liked on Spotify.

So Spotify is a double edged sword for musicians and music companies.

Same as it ever was.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. No. I use it as a tool to check out music I'm unfamiliar with. If I like it enough I'll buy it, if I don't I'll probably only return to it to find out whether I was wrong about the album the first time round. If I don't buy something it's because I don't like it enough, not because I can listen to it on Spotify.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, I have.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  11. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

With Spotify Premium you can select high quality at 320 kbps

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

You did it wrong then.

LivingForever and Hokeyboy like this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Sorry I think the product you like sucks. That doesn't mean I did it wrong, so don't be a jerk.

4stringking73 and Lownote30 like this.
  14. nbakid2000

The "too many bad quality" streams indicates there were SOME good quality streams, which means it's your internet connection, not Spotify as the issue. If Spotify was the issue, it would be all bad quality. As it sounds like, you have a bad internet connection and you're probably also using the free version which is lower quality.

Therefore, I'm sayng you didn't use or get to use the product properly, therefore nulling and voiding the "bad quality streams" comment.

As far as re-recordings go, I have no experience with that so I can't comment. You could be right.

Malina and Dukes Travels like this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I subscribe to both Beats and Spotify. I use them to check out albums I'm interested in, so I usually don't buy albums I hear on a streaming service. However, if I like the album, I do buy it. My music purchases have gone way up since subscribing. I've bought over 100 new releases this year. I end up buying albums I wouldn't even look at before I could steam it.

In fact, I hesitate to buy albums that I can't listen to on a streaming service first. 30 second clips on Amazon and AMG, and single songs on YouTube, ECM Player, SoundCloud, etc, never really encouraged me to take a risk. I've been burned enough in the past buying an album based on one song I like.
    As someone else posted, for many albums, they have multiple versions. Normally single CD vs Deluxe Editions. What they don't have is old masters or audiophile releases.

Lost In The Flood and Scopitone like this.
  16. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I can't believe music buffs are so snobbish about a technology that let's me sit at my desk at work 10 minutes before going home and choose from by far the biggest library of music I've ever had access to in my life, download any album and listen to it on the way home. For $10 a month.

Here's tonight's selection. The Velvet Underground 45th Anniversary

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  17. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

I haven't bought an album in about 18 months. Everything I want to hear is right there, free. Sometimes you just have to let common sense control things.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  18. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I still buy CDs. Lots of them. And I absolutely love my Spotify subscription. Worth the Premium (I'd pay 3X as much, easily) as the quality of the streams are excellent and the downloadable albums and playlists provide the best of all possible worlds.

Those who poo-poo it -- especially out of complete and total ignorance of the "iPods can't play MP3s!!!" variety -- are really doing it out of spite rather than anything else. Their loss.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've heard of Spotify but I don't actually know what it is or bothered to find out. It's free streaming music, right?

Well, I don't give a rat's ass about free streaming music. So the answer is 'no'.

20. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

If this is satire... bravo, sir. :tiphat:

bpmd1962, 905, Malina and 4 others like this.
  21. nbakid2000

According to the technology experts at the forum, because it's "****" and "awful" quality. That's why.

22. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

23. Daniel Plainview

GET OFF MY LAWN!

24. Daniel Plainview

Where does it get downloaded to? A phone? A computer? The car? I don't have a way to download things unto myself for the ride home. Can I download them to my Sony Discman or my land-line phone?

25. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Say that to a professional songwriter, and you might end up in the hospital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.