Two Amplifiers- One set of Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Onrd, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number Thread Starter

I presently have a nice 7.1 surround system hooked up to a Denon receiver. I have acquired an analog Carver amp that I want to use with my turntable and existing front speakers and subwoofer. Any advice on what sort of switching equipment I would need to be able to use these speakers with both the Denon and the Carver (not simultaneously, of course)?

2. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Google search for speaker/amp switches.

3. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

Something like this Niles SPK-1 is nice. http://www.amazon.com/Niles-Black-FG00240-Speaker-Switcher/dp/B000761NRQ
    It used a 12v source to switch between the outputs and the input. Plug your speakers in the middle set of terminals. Plug your two receivers into the side terminals. If one of your receivers doesn't have a 12 volt trigger you can just hook up a 12v wall wart to the switch and plug that into the receiver with a 110 outlet. Now when you turn that unit on it switches the speakers to that source. When it is off, the speakers go to the other source.

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Which models? Possible to use LR Preouts on Denon to Carver and have just the Carver connected to the front left & right speakers?

5. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I'm actually wondering if I can do this with my NAD T748 and NAD C355BEE. The 355 sounds much better for stereo sources. But I've got an Oppo 105 that I use for muti-channel audio or concerts.

So, if I understand correctly, take the Front L/R Pe-Outs from the T748 and hook them up the Main In of the 355. Then I connect my main L/R speakers (GoldenEar Triton IIs) to the 355 but leave the center and rears (also GoldenEars) connected to the T748. (The software probably requires a speaker configuration setting that I'll need to fiddle with)

So when I want to use the Oppo, I'd be sending signals from both amps to all the speakers and if I'm using my CD player or TT, I'd just use the 355.

Is this the gist of it?

6. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Niles DPS-1 will do what you need it to do. It's a 2 channel box, and since you'll be switching 3 channels, you'll need to buy two of them. I used the DPS-1 for years and it never let me down.

7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Indeed that's the idea. I believe the AV has a full set of 7.1 preouts use the front L&R to a line in on the 355. Your only issue is the 355 doesn't have a specific AV input with "pass through" (an input with a fixed amplification level) you will have to maintain a specific volume setting when playing movies. I think the auto calibration will still work using the pre-outs.

No reason with the Oppo that the separate 2 channel line out is not direct to the 355

lee59 likes this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Which Carver model? Does it have a sub out, or pre-out/main-in RCAs? If not, you won't be able to connect the sub properly.

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Onrd will be best served to find a sub that can be connected by line out and speaker level simultaneously (such as Rel)

10. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I use this speaker selector to switch between my tube amp and my quad solid state amp. I've been very happy with it. My sub is set up with my front speakers - the speaker wires run from each amp/receiver to the speaker selector and then run to the sub, then to the front speakers.

11. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I'm sorry, I posted the wrong link. My speaker selector switch is the Russound AB-2.2.

12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Further to what ColinM suggested.........

Best Stereo config would be ANALOG outs from OPPO to 355
    Best M/C config would be HDMI out from OPPO to 748

355 runs mains regardless.

748 is actually OFF when stereo listening.

Will need to select an input on 355 for M/C listening(NOT phono) and set volume to match with room EQ or SPL meter.
    Then remember where Vol on 355 needs to be for M/C listening

Turn volume down BEFORE switching to other input(s) for stereo listening!!!

lee59 likes this.
  13. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Hey guys, thanks for the advice!

I connected the the front L/R speakers to the 355 and ran RCA connectors from the Pre-Out of the T748 to the 'Main In' of the 355, which required me to remove the jumpers from the Per-Out of the 355 (which connected to the Main In). Turns out that the volume for the front L/R speakers is still being controlled by the T748 which has me wondering if the 355 is being bypassed or if it's calibrating with the T748. I've contacted NAD support and waiting to see what they say.

14. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

This should work if you don't get a ground loop. Back in the day I had a setup like this. If I understand you correctly the355 is the Carver? then it would need a precise location for the volume say 12:00 then turn it to that input and you will be in surround, balance the channels and your all good.

The thing is as you complicate your system ground loop flare up.

15. Don Jo

Don Jo Forum Resident

Take a look at the Beresford TC-7220 MKII
    http://www.beresford.me/S/selector.htm

Send your inquiry directly to the company, and Stanley Beresford will answer your questions personally.

16. contium

contium Forum Resident

Are the speaker's binding posts easily available? If so then run 2 sets of speaker cable. One to each amp. It takes like 10 seconds max to switch speaker cable terminated with banana plugs. That's what I do. One less piece of equipment to deal with.

17. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I'm wondering if I could just run a second set of wire into my speakers. So have 4 wires going into each speaker (2 separate wires attached to each post)... A left and right going to one amp, and a left and a right going into the other. Only one amp would be on at any given time. What's the problem with this?

18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The ONE time you forget........... and turn them BOTH on!!!!!! :eek:

Trapper J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.