$1,000 budget for integrated amp. Your choice?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by progrocker, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

You a Hawthorne or maybe Tune client? :)

2. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

After doing online research, I listened to them at another store in town...but didn't have the best experience there (chided for buying my turntable online as opposed to a local shop), which drove me back to buy online.

rbp likes this.
  3. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Leben CS-300 (used). You'll need relativity efficient speakers, though.

4. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I had the Brio-R and for the money it's a stupid good amplifier. If you don't have a concert hall to fill the 50 watts will drive almost any speaker to appropriate listening levels.

As others have stated, new tube amps for under 1K are pretty far and few between.

Summerisle likes this.
  5. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'd love to find one, but they never come available.

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Rega Brio R +1 (or 2, 3?) Rega RS3 or RS5, REL T1,2,3 (used). Rega DAC. I have found my perfect niche. Add TT if you need to. Just amazing...

bhazen likes this.
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Tubes are great but to get the same level of performance the price makes a big jump. Prima Luna? Rega sources? REL sub? Ok, I'll call my creditors...

8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have 2 systems, a Rega Brio-R/DAC setup in my bedroom and a 6 watt Decware Taboo/McIntosh C220/D100 setup as my main system. The Taboo performs better than my Rega Brio-R by a fair margin in all areas except for volume and features such as inputs, phono stage and remote, etc. (which the Brio-R is really hard to beat in its price range) and which is also why I moved the Rega setup to the bedroom and use the Decware Mac setup as my main system.

I'm a fan of both companies, but when it comes to bass slam, 3D holographic soundstage and imaging the 50 watt Brio-R cannot compete with my 6 watt Taboo.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yamaha A-S1000 refurbished which is out there for under $900. A monster heirloom amp. Well built and puts out 145 watts into 4 ohms I believe.

10. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I could but since I wouldn't use it I wouldn't want it in the chassis.

11. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh yeah... this looks like just the ticket! Now which SUPER efficient speak's to pair up?

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

If I was in your place I'd be looking at a Creek 50A...or perhaps a lightly used 5350SE, its predecessor.

Happy trails,
    Larry B.

14. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

+1. Jeff even used the Brio-R with Maggies.

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That seems really rather silly and superstitious…but I'd feel the same. Extra junk always pollutes, except at the way top price points.

I'd comment that if you EVER want to add a subwoofer, few integrateds have the requisite pre-out/main-in jacks to do so properly. So I'd look for that feature, unless (cue Taylor Swift) you're never, ever going to add a sub.

Efficient speakers sold commercially? Zu Audio, some Klipsch. Various kits, often Focal based. Also Google "Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre."

Tell us more about what you listen to and how loud and what kind room you listen in. Where do the speakers go? How big can they be?

I think you need to settle on the speakers first and then find a synergistic amp to drive them.

And, you'll have this equipment a loooooooong time, so don't be afraid to save more and spend a chunk more money if it gets you something much more satisfying.

16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Huh?

17. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

18. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I'd take a hard look at the Rogue Sphinx. You can get them gently loved at the 1k mark.

Gumboo and BayouTiger like this.
  19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The Arcam A19 at $999 gets crazy good reviews. I've always liked Arcam gear.

I had the Brio-r, it was nice if you don't have low impedance speakers or need a subwoofer out.

20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I added a sub to my Rega Brio R based system. REL T-3; using the speaker level inputs as instructed by REL.

21. Art K

How low...worked just fine with my 4 ohm Dynaudios.

22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

It craps out on a speaker that hits two ohms.

23. Art K

I would guess so.

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Check on a Jolida from Underwood HiFi.

25. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

The choices are getting better now than in the last few years or so. I use Omega Loudspeakers with the RS7 drivers which are 95dB @ 8 ohms. They are single drivers with no crossover so they are a very easy speaker to drive and all that's needed are a couple of watts. Omega is coming out with a new driver that is an even easier load at 98dB @ 8 ohms so we are talking approaching the efficiency of horns in a coherent single driver. Most horns will also work great with this amp including Klipsch and JBL as well and Decware also makes speakers which will match nicely.

If you are going to go with a tube amp, you should seriously consider Decware ... its hand made, point to point, made in America and has a lifetime warranty. Not many companies can offer that at his price ranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.