The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I just finished ripping The Other One boxset to my computer. As I was doing it, I was listening to the Spring 1990 shows. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of that era at all. It's just not my thing. But this time something started to click. As I now have both sets ripped and ready to go, I think I'll start at the beginning like you are and just let it play today :wiggle:

2. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

This era is strange like that....you could be listening to a completely average or even lackluster set and smack in the middle will be some amazing version of something.

Case in point: 3/16/90 Set One...nothing to write home about but that Peggy-O is an absolutely beautiful version, imo as good as any ever played. The opposite can be true too...Later that same show I had to force myself not to turn off The Other One because Brent's playing was so bad I could barely listen to it!

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It seems I can't enjoy post-1980 Grateful Dead. I have tried, but I just doesn't work. That's why when these last boxes were announced, my wallet gave sighed with relief. The afternoon the first E72 box notification appeared I almost died of anxiety. What's coming for the 50th anniversary? Lord, I hope it's at least relatively affordable! :sigh:

4. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

This has been on my mind lately, too. Personally, I hope it's a big box of 1974. Not sure what, specifically. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be something like a May 1977 (The Other One) with Ithaca being the centerpiece. I know, "it's not in the vault." Well, time passes, money changes hands, so who knows.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If you're right, I can forsee bankruptcy a-comin'. But, anyway, those are speculations we should discuss in the 50th anniversary thread. Otherwise, we would be hijacking this one :D.

6. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

Haha that would be great! Gotta say though there is absolutely no way the band would put out a better sounding copy of Cornell than Hunter Seamons' 35th anniversary matrix that can be found on bt etree.

wavethatflag and Scopitone like this.
  7. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

ADub, you're probably correct on that point. And truth be told, I now have either matrix or sbd for almost every May 1977 show. (and I'd have the rest, but I am taking a break from downloading them for a bit - how many shows can one listen to at a time, anyway? LOL) But any opportunity to encourage another official release from that stellar month would be worth it.

8. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

This afternoon's listening is Dead Set (Expanded Edition)

Had Dead Set for a long time and recently came across a copy of the expanded set from the Beyond Description box set....holy cow there are some real gems on this second disc. Jack Straw is stunning...A++++. The Shakedown that follows is also excellent as well as the Sugaree, which sounded incredible in 1980 both with GD and JGB

notesofachord likes this.
  9. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Agree. Don't want a reprimand. So as I sit here speculating, I am listening to the crazy 20-minute "Jam > Space > Drums" on 3/14/90, Capital Centre, Landover, MD. It's great music for wishful dreaming.

10. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

would that really be considered off topic?

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wrapped up my own listen to the entire Spring '90 tour a few weeks ago, but I never got around to mentioning that the big revelation to me was how good the Atlanta shows were. I was much more familiar with the rest of the tour, but did not go to those shows and had not heard them at all, except for whatever small portion wound up on Without a Net, until these boxes came out.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nah. People are a little jumpy because most of us (including me) didn't see the posts that were removed, but it sounds like they were WAY off topic. Historically, anything GD or Jerry solo-related has been fair game here.

[Edit: in case you can't tell, this was a reply to August West's post #206]

13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I know everyone is joking, but I agree with @Crispy Rob -- the removed posts had to do with some celebrities and their treatment of women. Definitely inappropriate (and I take partial responsibility, as I made a least one post in the discussion -- of course removed with the others).

They had absolutely nothing to do with the GD or anything even tangentially-related, except that Hugh Hefner appeared on-screen with Jerry and the band.

14. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I dream with a box of 75,the four shows.:agree:

15. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

Keep at it, good sir!

fishcane likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Judging from what I have listened, the best of those four shows has been released, fortunately. And what a hell of a show it is! But the other three deserve an official release too. I think they were not recorded on multitrack, though. There are some really nice aud/sbd mixes of those gigs at archive.org.

17. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

oh yeah 9/28/75 is a hall of fame aud...one of my favorites. not sure i've heard a matrix of that one but with such a great aud source i'm sure there are some fantastic mixes

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

3/23/75 (except the encore) was released on the Beyond Description bonus disc.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

1975:

March 23rd- Blues For Allah > Stronger Than Dirt, Or Milking The Turkey > Blues For Allah has already been included on the Beyond Description bonus disc.
    June 17th- The 2 track reel runs in mono until the middle of Slipknot! Sounds great but only part of the show is in stereo.
    August 13th- Official release.
    September 25- Bob Menke's audience recording is superb. There is also a circulating soundboard.

Here's an idea for a box set: July 1976- Orpheum Theater, San Francisco. A run of 6 shows, amazing music, nothing has been officially released from this set of shows. Some people consider this one of Garcia's finest SF runs. Ever!

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Beyond Description bonus disc is one of the handful of bonus discs that I slept on and missed. Would be nice to see it more widely available, and there is some precedent (Winterland '77 bonus disc material resurfaced in the May '77 box). But I would be even more excited about Orpheum '76. Does anyone know if those recordings are in the Vault, or were in Betty's auctioned storage locker? (Might not make too much of a difference, if a return of the prodigal Betty Boards is imminent, as seems likely, but I'm curious anyway).

"Did somebody say play TruckING?"

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

WOW, check this out.....

grainy start, but this is great....

instrumental breaks with David Nelson, Sandy Rothman on banjo, and a beardless Garcia on the Telecaster.

The best is Marmaduke introducing Jerry's solo spot and Buddy Cage stealing the spotlight "not so fast, hotshot, me first!!!"

Awesome

22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm still making my way through July 14, 1990, audience recording from etree. I'm more of a Dylan fan now than I was then, so I can listen to Weir's recitation of Memphis Blues with new ears. I also appreciate how Jerry gives it his all on Brent's Far From Me. A total team player on stage.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Absolutely correct, I've forgotten about it. Very interesting and exploratory set, with Ned Lagin and Merl Saunders.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The next night was a night off before the monster show at Rich Stadium, 7/16/90. The ENTIRE tour stopped off at a little farm in Sterling NY and had an absolutely surreal rural shakedown/campout.

One of the most amazing runs I ever did, winding up in Deer Creek a few days later.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm fairly sure Foxboro was my only show that summer... I would need to check my ticket album. I've kept them all and pretty much treasure the glittery mail order tix of that era. :)