Do you ever not buy a CD because you can listen to it on Spotify?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Phone or computer that has the app

Gaslight and Daniel Plainview like this.
  2. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Substitute "Rhapsody" for "Spotify" and the answer is absolutely yes.

Rhapsody allows me to transfer an album to my MP3 player. I have to license it each month, but that's no big deal. I've had some albums on there for years.

JcS

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It is not my internet connection. I do use the free version. The stream quality issue I can live with, but the re-recordings I can't.

4stringking73 likes this.
  4. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

As was intimated or said outright in the Albini speech, the consumer of music is now king. It's about time.

5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I don't use spotify or stream ever at all. In fact I even wait to listen to a new album until i go buy it from the store or it arrives in my mailbox?? What a weirdo huh?

6. Witch Hazel

Witch Hazel Forum Resident

Pink Floyd was in conflict with Spotify for awhile, but I guess they gave in and let their catalog on.
    Thom York of RadioHead still refuses to let the bands music on Spotify

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/thom-yorke-pulls-songs-from-spotify/?_r=0

To me, RadioHead is an one-hit wonder, circa 1993, but anyway, I use Rhapsody. My biggest irritation with the Rh is when they
    don't carry a name, but I find it on youtube. :realmad:

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Currently I use Spotify as a medium to test the waters. It prevented me from buying quite a few cd's on hearing the 30 second samples. If I just like one or two tracks or the songs are getting boring after three listens, the Spotify-version is good enough. On the other hand; I discovered quite a few gems on Spotify that I have now on cd or vinyl (Tear for Fears' Raoul and the Kings of Spain and Blue Rose Codes' Ballads of Peckham Rye.)

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The only difference between you and me is that I know that I'll like the album before I buy it. I don't by duds anymore.

9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I can see that but honestly my recent bought unheard first albums were endless river pink floyd and pale communion from opeth. I wasn't disappointed...

10. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

No, but I bought more than one after listening to it on Spotify

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I admit I know next to zero about Spotify. I've visited it once because someone here linked my name in a Spotify thread - they thought I'd created a playlist there - and don't really understand much about it.

I don't think I "pooh-pooh" it - I just don't see a reason to be interested in it, honestly. I'm happy getting music the way I do, but if others like Spotify, that's cool... :shrug:

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I buy a lot of albums from band I never heard of before so it's really indispensable for me. For albums that I really know what I'm getting, I don't preview them. For instance, I'm listening to John Cage: Music for Percussion and Piano right now and I didn't preview that.

While it's stopped me from buying duds, it's also cost me a lot of money because I've bought albums I wouldn't have considered in the past like Nicole Atkins' Slow Phaser. It's labeled Alternative/Indie Singer Songwriter in allmusic. That's a genre that I normally wouldn't bother with but because of Spotify, I gave it a listen and loved it. I've bought at least a dozen new releases this year that fit the same profile.

LivingForever likes this.
  13. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I almost feel that I have to recuse myself from this topic. Streaming literally affects my bottom line. As a musical performer, recording artist and reluctant capitalist I find services like Spotify to be more exploitative than beneficial. At least as it stands currently. I hope this new music industry model sorts itself out soon so artists/songwriters will receive better (fairer?) royalty rates for their recorded work. The record making business is hurting. I know I'm trying to figure out how to adapt to this new way. I just want to exploit the system without it exploiting me!

So ya'll keep supporting us artists 'cause we gotsta gets paid!

I have a decadent rock star lifestyle to maintain.

:D

14. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

[​IMG]
    I implore you... don't pooh-pooh!!

I wasn't referring to you Colin, but those who categorically renounced Spotify based on ignorance and misinformation ("The sound quality is only 128 kbps!" "You can only listen online!" "You can't download"), etc.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's partly why I buy the album if I like it. Like I posted above, I've bought over 100 new releases this year and 3/4 of them I steamed first. Without streaming, that number would probably be more like 30. I've streamed another 150 or so that I didn't buy.

Gaslight likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Any supported device. In the case of Spotify, that would be Windows / OSX / iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch / Android / Windows Phone. Xbox Music and Rhapsody have a similar setup.

So, for example, you could download a few albums in advance of a long car ride to your phone and then play those through your aux in port or Bluetooth connection (depending on your car, if they have either option).

Same here. It's a way to sort through the rubbish before I buy. No more buying an album for 10 or 20 bucks and then regretting it later. :)

Correct - Rhapsody supports the Sansa Clip and I believe a few other legacy devices. And I believe Xbox Music still supports the Zune / Zune HD for offline subscription downloads.

17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Exactly. Imagine telling your 10-year-old self that one day you'd be able to do that. Mind blown.

Gaslight likes this.
  18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I don't even know why we are discussing Spotify with people who have no interest. If they were really concerned with it they would use Google or the service itself to figure out actual facts about it.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  19. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I've used Spotify to sample albums I've considered buying. But if I decide I like them, then I buy them on CD.

20. So, if I subscribe to Spotify and download (not stream) a few albums, will the audio quality be as good as an iTunes download, which is 256kbps AAC?

21. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

People seem to refuse to move with the times. Break out of your comfort zone of buying CDs and try something that will not only save you money but will save you money.

Oh and space.

Lost In The Flood and OldSoul like this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If people are reading the thread, then they at least have a small interest. You never know, one of your posts could push one poster to look into the service further. You never know. :)

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It's totally thrilling to read all these posts by people not interested in spotify and never having used it. It adds so much to discussion of this thread's question.

24. Why should I? I should have a choice, and thank God, I have.

4stringking73 likes this.
  25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yes, it should be the same exact bitrate you are streaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.