I watched BACK TO THE FUTURE today with my kids....Forgot about the swearing!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I did not expect this topic to crop up, but here are a couple of thoughts I have not seen posted.

Damn is a curse. When one says "Damn", it is short for "Damn it". The literally meaning would be to wish someone were "damned" to hell. The same could be said of "Go to hell", or "damn it to hell". When one says GD, they are literally calling on God to damn some one.

Do people likely have that in mind when they say it? Probably not. But that is why they are considered inappropriate for polite conversation.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd totally forgotten that scene.

Marty: Hey, Doc, f'ing back up, dude, we don't have enough road to get up to 88.

Doc Brown: Roads? Chill the f--k out. Where we're going, we don't need no f'ing roads.

Biff: [runs outside from the house] S--t Marty, All I f'ing wanted to do was show you these new matchbooks from my auto detailing I had printed up... F--kkkkk...a flying DeLorean? [car vanishes in time] What the f--k is going on here?

Yeah, not really suitable for kids today.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

With all the pain, suffering, disease, and poverty in the world, this is the kind of thing you're worried about? :confused:

goodiesguy and Lost In The Flood like this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

No topic nor conversation on the SH.tv forum will be helping any of the world's pain, suffering, disease and poverty, so that's a rather inappropriate reply.

inperson and Oatsdad like this.
  5. Luke The Drifter

There were 10 posts in a row, with noone able to figure out why "damn" was considered a curse. All I did was explain it. :wave:

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not to me. On the long list of things that are awful in life, "Damn" might be about 799 on that list. I think you need to re-examine your priorities.

7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Damn can certainly be used in a non=swearing context, making it more of a real word, i.e "damned with faint praise".

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Most of these 'swear' words appear only to be offensive to a section of the community that have religious leanings, as they are rooted in that sphere. To secularists, they're pretty amusing. There are far stronger swear words which both the secular and non-secular would find equally offensive, though perhaps not to the same degree as once. Context is very important when judging offense.

goodiesguy and Vidiot like this.
  9. I'll say it for everyone else participating in this thread...the conversation has taken a damned silly turn...:p:winkgrin:

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We're all just chatting on a message board. I don't think posting about the word "damn" is a reason for someone to have to "re-examine priorities"...

11. Luke The Drifter

I have no idea why this post bothered you. I always enjoy reading your posts. Peace.

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Almost every swear word has religious connotations
    Cor Blimey = God Blind Me
    Odds Bodkins = God's Body

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've never heard of "Cor Blimey" ever being as swearing. And the other one, I'd never heard of at all.

There are far more non-religious swear words, usually associated with bodily functions. For example, oh, wait...:cussing:

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Any swearing that refers to blood actually refers to the blood of Christ. For example that Supertramp song Bloody Well Right or that song about the bloody red baron of Germany. Even 'blast' is a bastardization of 'blasphemy'.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll defer to your etymological analysis, but I seriously doubt the vast majority of the people who use those expletives are aware of those origins (myself included). I still contend that swearing based around all manner of bodily functions is more widespread. Unfortunately I cannot provide a list of examples, for obvious reasons.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not in my hood in LA.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Probably in the early days the only common ground people had was bodily functions and The Bible so to make themselves understood they made up swear words adapted from one or the other.

19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Interesting....but Oxford says differently: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/bloody

"The use of bloody to add emphasis to an expression is of uncertain origin, but is thought to have a connection with the 'bloods' (aristocratic rowdies) of the late 17th and early 18th centuries; hence the phrase bloody drunk (= as drunk as a blood) meant 'very drunk indeed' After the mid 18th century until quite recently, bloody used as a swearword was regarded as unprintable, probably from the mistaken belief that it implied a blasphemous reference to the blood of Christ, ..."

Mylene likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think you'll agree we have vastly different expressions in America than Australia, or Britain for that matter... three countries, separated by a common language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.