How would YOU fix the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Bands should be inducted as an entity; not specific lineups.

zebop likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

kind of like what we have now.

and without any malice toward public enemy, garth brooks is more rock and roll than public enemy

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

To the contrary, I think it would be quite different than what we have now... far more pop, r&b, and rap, and far less classic-rock. A hall filled by straight up popular voting would make the current hall look conservative by comparison.

4. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Really? He Says, He's a "Country" Artist!

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yep!

and jann wenner says public enemy is rock and roll.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

Regardless of what they call it, it's clear they regard it as a sort of post-1956 rock, pop, and R&B hall of fame. I don't mind that. I think it's preferable to making it into a 50's-70's Classic Rock HOF. If they adopted the latter approach, they would eventually wind up inducting everybody from the classic rock era... Which might make this forum happy, but what's the point of a hall of fame with no exclusivity?

7. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

8. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

well, I dismiss the term "classic rock" as nonsense. It's a manufactured term created by business people who don't care about music. Alternative was and is rock, too. It's all rock unless it's not rock. Anybody with a hangup about the date of when a song came out doesn't seem to understand that if you listen to a song and you never heard it before, it's new music to you.

BluesOvertookMe and Zeki like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The Band lesser rock n roll?!! In what universe? :D

10. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I'd have to disagree. I think John Kay of Steppenwolf deserves to be in a R&RHOF. I don't think everybody ever to play in Steppenwolf deserved to be in there. Same with specific members of Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Guess Who. etc. Football didn't induct everybody that played (or sat on the bench) for the undefeated, 1972 Miami Dolphins. And once is enough. I like Eric Clapton as much as the next guy, but three times into the HOF is two times too many.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

That's pretty gross.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Obviously it does. If it didn't, there wouldn't be all this discussion of it, would there?

longaway and Zeki like this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Just leave it alone. First, rock has always fallen under a wide umbrella. It isn't only two guitars, drums and a bass. It could be many things. Motown? Check. Madonna? Check. James Brown, come on in. Led Zeppelin? Your seat is right over there.

I know it's popular to bash who is in and complain about who isn't. Those who want to limit inductees to a narrower list, or define "exactly" what rock and roll really is should start their own museum. I don't like every act there. Too bad.

Adam9 likes this.
  14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I just read through the entire list of inductees and I don't have a problem with a single one.

Induct the Monkees, Love, and the Smiths and I'll have even less of a problem.

rockerreds and RonBaker like this.
  15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter too.

p s gb likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You really think they should induct Courtney Love??? :wtf: ;)

longaway and JuanTCB like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Bar Jan Wenner from the building

misterdecibel and Hamhead like this.
  18. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Endless words of waffle on a non subject.
    All a bit of subjective nonsense in my opinion.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Burn it to the ground and dance on its ashes. Short of that, put all eligible artists on a ballot and leave it to the fans to decide.

20. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Just change its name to the Hall of Music Personalities Jann Wenner Thinks Are Cool.

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

You're exercising admirable restraint not posting to this nonsensical thread.

Zeki and czeskleba like this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I can't believe some people want to put R&B acts in a special category. Without the R&B acts there is no Rock and Roll. If that were the case this would just be a place for the derivative rock acts that people are crying about letting in.

And looking at the very early inducees, it was filled with R&B acts. The RRHOF was never the place for non-transformative, middling acts that someone likes, because...

troggy likes this.
  23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Yes, I got that too. It's just think that's a little overboard. No Beatles? No Stones? No Zep? No Hendrix etc? It would be The Who museum, which I am not opposed to, but it wouldn't be the R&RHoF.

24. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

James Brown and Ray Charles were inducted in 1986, Marvin Gaye in 1987 and The Supremes in 1988.

To return to the original question, the easiest and most fundamental "fix" for The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would be to change the name. Rock and Roll is a relatively specific umbrella term, and does not, for example, encompass the likes of Marvin Gaye or The Supremes.

The name of the place should have been more generic for music.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

worst of jefferson airplane
    van halen For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    VU loaded
    Pistols swindle or pretty vacant
    metallica live ****
    u2 go home
    zappa strictly commercial
    hooker 'n heat
    stooges no fun
    beasties some old bull ****