KEF LS50 or Gallo Strada Reference 2 for small room?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Billy Budapest, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

I am looking to purchase either a pair of KEF LS50's or Gallo Reference Strada 2's for a small room. I am looking for comments about the imaging of both speakers and how lifelike vocal presentation would be. Have any of you compared these two acclaimed small speakers? Much thanks!

2. Billy Budapest

Bump. Anybody with an opinion?

3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, the Stradas look way cool! I mean, they seem like they would sound excellent ... I have no idea! but they are more expensive than the LS50s ... Seems like $2500 with stands (or $3500 with matching sub). Chris Martens (TAS) seems to like them, would be nice if 'someone' compared the two ... Srajan Ebaen (6moons) seems to love them but there's so much other crap he's writing about in his review I can't tell exactly ...

http://www.cnet.com/news/box-speakers-are-so-yesterday-check-out-gallos-round-strada-2/ mentions the LS50s briefly: "The KEF LS50 monitors can't touch the Strada 2's transparency and spacious imaging, but the bigger LS50s make a lot more bass." Hmmmm ... maybe that tells you something. I don't know what to say ... except good luck! Maybe you can listen to both somehow ...

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

He's a bit like that. ;)

T'mershi Duween and Rick58 like this.
  5. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I have not tried the KEF, but I have the Gallos with the Gallo subwoofer, both with Mapleshade upgrades. I think they sound terrific, image very well, and have a soundstage that goes outside the speakers. Be forewarned, the Gallos-to my ear at least-sound terrible out of the box. Around 40 hours, they start to blossum. Of course, the better your electronics, the better they will sound.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I haven't heard the Gallo Reference Strada 2 but I have the KEF LS50 in my second system with an MA6600 and a Clearaudio Ovation and the sound is fantastic.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm using a pair of LS50's with a 28WPC Fisher tube receiver in an 8 x 12 room. They image extremely well in a small space, once the placement is optimized and some room treatments are in place.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

How small is your room and what available space do you have behind your speakers?

9. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

KEF for sure!

PROG U.K. likes this.
  10. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I've listened to the KEF's and some of the floor standing Gallo's, and didn't care for either. Don't ask us, silly... you should go listen to them. Don't buy anything blindly. I'd add a couple of other speaker possibles in there too, if you are seriously looking to spend a grand or more on some speakers. They are the most important component you will buy!

jupiterboy likes this.
  11. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I very much agree with the second sentence, though when buying used, it is not always feasible. I don't agree with the last sentence. I don't think there is any such thing as a most important component. Everything affects everything. I would not pair $10,000 speakers with $1000 amplification, or vice versa. YMMV, but in general, evenly balancing money spent across the system is likely to get you the best sound for your money.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  12. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I disagree immensely, but we obviously all have our own opinions.

Snashforce likes this.
  13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I've heard the KEFs in a well treated room and thought they were pretty decent. I personally wouldn't take them without a sub, but in a small room that may be different.

14. BobD

BobD Well-Known Member

I had the Reference Strada's (not the 2's) before I purchased the LS 50's. The Stradas are now in the living room for movies and TV viewing. While they do have a wide soundstage, after putting the LS 50's in my small listening room, the LS50's have a much more focused midrange and vocals sound much more realistic and natural to my ear. The Stradas sound diffused/muffled in comparison. In addition you will need a subwoofer with the Strada's but not necessary with the LS50's- you can still enjoy the music and not feel like you are missing much in the low end. The LS50's would be my choice for lifelike vocal presentation. For special effects and soundstaging way beyond the boundary of the speakers, the Stradas would win.

15. Billy Budapest

I have a REL T5 so sub duties are taken care of.

beowulf likes this.
  16. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

The LS50 is the choice here, especially with your CJ amp and your REL sub. It's not even close.

If you don't mind going off the beaten path a bit, you might also want to check out Fritz Speakers and Sonist. I've been pretty impressed with what those folks are doing with little shoeboxes.

beowulf likes this.
  17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

On aesthetics alone, I would say KEF LS50s.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Big fan of LS50s. With either a sub or a perfect room they're tremendously good speakers for the price.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  19. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Heard some great stuff about Fritz as well, especially the Carbon 7 SE.

20. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

IMO, forget the KEFLS50. The new Bryston Mini A, at $1200, utterly stomps the KEF. Not eve close. Vocal presentation is among the best I have heard
    in 25 years.

21. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I like the KEF LS50 and the Vandersteen 1Ci. Those are my two favorite inexpensive speakers, but have not heard the Bryston. Im sure if Andre likes em, they are pretty good!

22. ServingTheMusic

Hey Jeff...no lies...I was very skeptical...another electronics company getting into the speaker business....you know the story.

But boy was I surprised. I like them better than the LS50.

23. Billy Budapest

Interesting choice re the Brystons--I never think of their speakers, I guess because they are relatively new at that game. I'll have to see if there is a local dealer here so I can audition. Thanks for the recommendations, everybody!

24. ServingTheMusic

Trust me, I never thought about them either until they ended up at my door! When I installed them I was really surprised at what I was hearing.

25. Billy Budapest

Not using the C-J amp with this. Rega Brio-R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.