VPI Prime

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by guitartuba, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitartuba

guitartuba Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, has anyone heard one yet?

Bueller……..Bueller……...

MonkeyMan likes this.
  2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Anyone?

3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

4. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I'm thinking about getting one. Just waiting for the reviews. :)

5. guitartuba

Same here. Wondering how it compares to the Classic 1 and 3 and overall sonic qualities.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I remember read that Harry says that the only table better than Prime is the Classic 3 with the 3D arm upgrade,
    http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=170
    Im waiting for more reviews etc...

by the way, it seems that some people have a lot money:
    "I actually don't listen to music much. I just keep exotic audio equipment around cause it looks good." http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18#p673

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's not making me fall out of love with my Classic or anything, but I don't quite get why they're still selling Classic 2/3's if the designer/founder says they're not as good as a table that costs less.

And if you look at the price of just the 3D tonearm vs.......yeah, I just don't understand the economics of turntables I guess.

rebellovw and Coricama like this.
  8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

because they are making primes right now, tomorrow it's something else. remember, the classic 1 was the greatest VPI ever at time of release

Analogman and rebellovw like this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sure, and from one perspective it's admirable that as soon as they designed a better mousetrap, they put a fair price on it and put it up for sale. Some companies would have waited a few more years for the Classic to run its toll, discontinue it, and introduce the Prime as its replacement, or better yet just introduce it at twice the cost of the Classic, which they probably could have gotten away with it, seeing as they sell just that tonearm for $2500.

Still, can't understand why anybody would buy a Classic 2 or 3 now if the designer is telling you straight up that you're paying more for less.

VinylRob likes this.
  10. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I've emailed with Harry this week on the Prime vs Classic. As stated here, it's the perks for the dough that make the Prime the winner. For the same price as a Classic 2 you get 300rpm motor, 3D arm and IIRC the HRX feet and record clamp. I have a Classic 2 with the 3D arm and would much rather upgrade my motor and maybe the feet rather than trade for the Prime. I love the wood plinth and timeless look of the Classic. I doubt a Classic spec'd like the Prime would be a loser in anyone's book.

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. I just saw the VPI Prime in the Music Direct catalog, looked at the price, the description, and thought, huh?? It's more than the VPI Classic 1, which was supposed to be the be all end all of turntables up to around...20k - and preferred by some over even the megabuck tables.

Remember when the Classic 1 came out? It was supposed the trounce the more expensive Scouts, which were still for sale

I don't get it. The Prime is partially based on the upper level models of the Scout HRX - which the Classic 1 was supposed to beat. Another odd (to me anyway) fact is the Prime's plinth, which looks a little like the Rega's.

When will we see a true be all end all turntable on Shark Tank?

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

also remember that new Prime is a design of Mat, Harry son, so maybe we can see it like each guy have a own way to see a desing/release a turntable... but both tables from the same company, so yes is a little strange.

I really like that VPI have products for everyone, that Prime looks really good for the price... I hope they down the Scout for $1500 :angel:

Preston and 500Homeruns like this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm really curious how a Classic + 3D tonearm and the other modular components like the HRX feet compares to the Prime head to head. I have a feeling the "SuperClassic" would win.

Or maybe I'm just telling myself that because I think Scouts are sorta ugly? But I agree that it's a good thing VPI has a diverse range of products rather then a linear good/better/best model lineup.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

well scout is not the most pretty design in the world but I dont like the Classic, looks too serious, like a piece of fine furniture wood,
    http://www.rosewoodfurniture.us/images/slideshow02.jpg
    if I talk about design in turntables I really like the Clearaudio's, minimal clean and modern http://clearaudio.de/en/direct/index.php
    but yeah many good VPI options for everyone ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  15. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Hmmm...I think I might have read about this before but didn't follow up on it.
    I did order a C3 with 12" 3D tonearm and SDS about 4 months ago.
    It's still with the dealer because I haven't moved into my new house. But I will have it on Monday of next week because we are moving on the weekend.

Anyway after reading some comments on the VPI forums I don't know what to think.
    If the Prime and the C3/C4 are very close in performance don't I feel silly having paid practically double the price of the prime!
    Knowing my listening acuity I probably than couldn't hear the difference.

According to Harry:

On pure sonic terms, the Prime is better than a stock 3/4, add 3D arms and it is very close but the Prime is then really much less money. For me it would be the Prime.

So why would anyone buy a stock C3??

I don't get it and I'm not sure how I should feel.

-- Sanjay

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

C3 with 12" 3D tonearm and SDS, wonduful combo but yes I got your point, is confusing.
    Im saving for a new table, I was thinking in VPI... so I wait to see what's going on with Prime.
    also I have a question maybe not too related with the big question classic vs prime but! the difference between scout 1 ($2000) or scout 2 ($2500 only bigger platter) is a from the Prime?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  17. guitartuba

Anyway after reading some comments on the VPI forums I don't know what to think.
    If the Prime and the C3/C4 are very close in performance don't I feel silly having paid practically double the price of the prime!
    Knowing my listening acuity I probably than couldn't hear the difference.

According to Harry:

On pure sonic terms, the Prime is better than a stock 3/4, add 3D arms and it is very close but the Prime is then really much less money. For me it would be the Prime.

So why would anyone buy a stock C3??

I don't get it and I'm not sure how I should feel.

-- Sanjay[/QUOTE]

I don't know what to think either. It seems to me that VPI has created bit of monster. $3500 Prime being better than $6000 Classic 3. Or, spend the coin and upgrade the arm on the C3 to the 3D, $8500 vs $3500. Even with Prime upgrades(clamp ring, HRX center weight, single flywheel motor)you still save $. At the end of the upgrade chain is it worth spending the extra money for what may be only a single digit percentage increase in performance?

It will be interesting to see what happens to the rest of the VPI line-up in the future.

LeeS likes this.
  18. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

For sure, the jury is still out for the new Prime, it does appear to be a very good value for the cost, in comparison to other tables in their lineup.

I've had my Classic 1 for about two years now and have NO desire to move into a Prime, not yet anyway:winkgrin:

rebellovw likes this.
  19. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I am not sure what their plans are, but as of right now the @vpiindustries website has the Classic line listed as "temporarily unavailable". Maybe a remodel? Maybe the death rattle? :D

vpiindustries likes this.
  20. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

It seems to me that the newer model will always be said of that it is better, that's how they sell them. Telling you it is better than the one you have or the previous version simple marketing. I am more than happy with my Scoutmaster/SDS/Outer Ring/SS Clamp/300RPM Motor!!!

Rickchick, rob303 and KOWHeigel like this.
  21. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Hopefully it's not the later of the two! The Prime thread reads that VPI has been only building that particular table for the past few weeks, trying to get them out to the dealers by the Holidays.

I'm guessing the Classic and other model inventories have dwindled because of this, purely speculative on my part:p

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'll second that!

I'll take my old school Classic 1 with its big platter and no platter mat over any of the new ones any day.

It is so fat it doesn't even fit on my shelf!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I can weigh in a bit here...I heard the Prime at Rocky Mountain in the Modwright room and it was very clear the table was pulling a lot of musical information out of the grooves.

24. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

IF the Scout and Classic lines appeal to the same consumer base.

But I'll bet they don't. The Classic may be for the one who would consider a VPI but wants a more traditional 'wood grain' appearance, put off by the detached motor. The LP12 guy. That was me before I bought my Classic 1. The Prime (or any of the scout variants) isn't the sort of thing I'd typically go for.

The performance hyperbole is just that, hyperbole. Harry excited about their latest and greatest.

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

also maybe on this days more people buy turntables so the production is high so VPI low the price to sell more... and maybe is the result of the Prime, I just say...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.