What is your most totally incorrect item received by mail order?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by n.phelge, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I ordered this:

[​IMG]

I got this:

[​IMG]

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

In this case, it was the fault of the (lack of) fact checkers at AMG.

Back in 1998 a woman named Leila, who had previously worked on the first two Bjork records, released her own eclectic electronica record, and it was very good, and met with great reviews, and I bought it, and I really liked it.....

[​IMG]

So fast forward a couple years and we have all these internet discount coupons coming out our ears for all the startup music stores, and I'm ordering CDs like I won the lottery or something, and I happen to see in AMG that Leila has a "new" album out called Love Story. So I hop on the bus and order that baby up with one of my discount coupon codes and pretty soon I have this in my mailbox....

[​IMG]

Huh? Well, if you've read many of my posts here you know by now I may not always be the sharpest knife in the rack, but something was telling me that this wasn't quite the same musical image as the last album cover was trying to project. But some of these artists are kinda wacky, and you can't always judge a record by the cover, so I put my concerns aside and gave it a listen. Didn't take long to realize something was terribly wrong because coming out of my speakers was some smaltzy ballads hung on top of a glossy LA production (with apologies of course to all the big fans of smaltzy ballads). After further research, I found that AMG was quite wrong, and the folks at wherever I ordered it from just repeated the confusion. Same name, different person. Shoulda sent it right back but never got around to it. Some of these ladies should think a little more about using last names :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not audio, but back in 1997 my mother ordered a Doris Day VHS box set of three tapes, instead we had delivered the first season of the X Files, worth about twice as much, I of course kept them and she reordered the DD box. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

One time I got a first Japanese pressing Thin Lizzy - Black Rose CD with the Jailbreak OBI. I sent it back.

5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Not me but some folks who bought the vinyl Lonerism by Tame Impala on side D got side D to Kurt Vile's "Wakin on a Pretty Daze".

My copy was okay.

6. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

For a couple of years in the mid-'80s, I was in the 'Britannia Music Club' here in the UK. One month in '86, the album of the month was Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'. I already had my Brother's original copy so I was going to give the new one to a friend. The morning it arrived (just a few hours after I'd got home from seeing Queen's first night at Wembley Stadium) an album-shaped package was delivered in the post. Opening it, I was confronted by 'Organ Greats' by Klaus Wunderlich. I have to say it did kill my buzz more than a little.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, those are my copies of The Simpsons! I placed an Amazon order and got Motown 1969 instead! Please send them to me immediately.

8. glea

glea Forum Resident

as long as they fit well, no reason to complain

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Was supposed to get Herman's Hermits Live in Australia DVD got a 60s Frank Sinatra Live Rat Pack DVD instead.

10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I guess I've been incredibly lucky. My only order mixup was when I ordered Don Henley's "The End of the Innocence" in 5.1 DTS and they sent just the regular CD. I emailed the seller and they said oops, they never actually had the DTS in stock. They'd refund only if I mailed it back, the price wasn't too huge, I was too lazy, so I just gave it away.

When I've ordered new vinyl of a release from certain artists they've often tossed in the CD as well, gratis.

11. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

out of the blue deep discount sent me an order of prob 20 cd's--mostly bargain bin stuff but also some decent things-that i had not ordered. Invoice showed customer as a woman in Texas--i am male and live in Il. i emailed deep discount and asked what they wanted to do-they emailed back that all was fine with the order. they never billed me.

12. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I ordered a Best of Britney Spears videos DVD and got an expired bottle of 500 Vicodin.

BluesOvertookMe and drasil like this.
  13. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Ordered El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's Cryptomnesia on CD, received vinyl instead. Rather ordinary story.

14. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

I once ordered a sports magazine and got a Bruce Springsteen Born to Run box set. No clue how Best Buy messed that up, but I was happy.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I ordered a couple of import cd singles from a long defunkt store in Maryland and got the bootleg 20 lp set from the Mothers, then the singles arrived.
    This place supposedly never sold boots.
    Anyway, I sold it the next week, most of the material was of no interest to me.

16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I've had good luck, but once I received a package when I never ordered anything. Inside was a Vertical Horizon CD--I've never heard of them. There was a receipt inside with name of the person who ordered it and it wasn't anything close to mine. I sent it back, and amazon credited me for the postage.

17. tgood

tgood Well-Known Member

Ordered Genesis' "Wind And Wuthering", received the right package, but the disc inside was "Trespass".

Lucky day!

18. tgood

tgood Well-Known Member

Big Head Todd's Sister Sweetly on CD but Fleetwood Mac's Rumours inside the jewel box.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

It's not music related, but I work for a telecoms company and we use couriers all the time.

We often receive the wrong things back. We got a John Lewis chair the other day, for example, instead of some routers. But the best has to be the time we booked them to collect a client's faulty mobile phones, and received back...a child's prosthetic leg.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I ordered the Now Sounds CD reissue of And Then Along Comes The Association (with 12 bonus tracks and a 16-pg. booklet) and got a very beat up used LP copy of same.

21. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

two copies of Royal Scam.
    advantage: Fullbug

drasil likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Haha! Mine is a Carpenters one too. Many years ago I got sent a Carpenters DVD documentary I didn't order, alongside something totally unrelated that I did order. Wasn't charged for it, told them and they said keep it. I was quite pleased because I like The Carpenters when I'm in the mood and it was a good documentary, seemingly made for US TV. I wish I still had it but I lent it and never got it back :(

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I presume Britannia aren't around anymore? Their ads, and those for World Books, used to be absolutely everywhere. I was in the former briefly and the latter a few years.

24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Mine doesn't really fit the 'totally incorrect' part of the thread title as the items were at least related to each other. However, the error was bad enough to send me into panic mode!

Basically, I ordered the Japanese It's Only Rock N Roll SHM-SACD from Amazon. The copy was a brand new sealed one that contained the regular UK CD. The miserable 2009 remaster at that. Luckily Amazon were great about it and sent me a new one.

25. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Won an Our Lady Peace promo CD single on ebay many years ago, the guy sent me a test pressing of the single by mistake. He sent me what I bought and let me keep the goodie. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.