Any recent MFSL, AP or AF, etc. hybrid SACD's that you do NOT recommend?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The thread title says SACD's that you wouldn't recommend, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be bad sounding... they might just be disappointing or not as good as another pressing.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was talking about the MFSL version.

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You can never know, because there's no way to isolate one factor. Maybe the condition of the tapes were not the best.

Same situation: The Police - Ghost in the Machine knocked me socks off on Nautilus Super Disc LP (coincidentally, the first title to release on an audiophile addition at the same time as mass pressing commercial version). None of The Police SACD's thrilled me that much.

Some of it could be attributed to the fact that it was earlier days of the SACD format and there's much better equipment now. Could be a couple of different reasons.

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I've got a few really early SACD's that sound incredible (mostly Japanese imports), so I don't think technology was an issue, really it all comes down to the mastering.

SteelyTom likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think we have to consider the limitations of the recording. I have the german cd and a wlp atlantic lp; I think the sacd bests the german and holds its own against the lp.

I have not heard the 45.

tmtomh, MartinR and SteelyTom like this.
  6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Yes, I, too read that description before I bought the SACD. And that description made me have high hopes for it. But those hopes very quickly blown to smithereens.

Like I said, Patsy's voice sounds anemic. A direct comparison between the 2003 redbook and the SACD should clearly, and instantly, demonstrate the superiority of Patsy's voice in the redbook.

The website can "stand on its head" and make claims if it so wishes. However, at the end of the day, nothing trumps personal experience, IMO. I encourage everyone purchasing the SACD to purchase the 2003 redbook as well since it's pretty cheap and compare the two for themselves.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A master tape is not the finished product, it is just a work part. It needs to be "mastered" to sound good, it is to be "mastered with" which is why it's marked MASTER TAPE. A flat transfer seldom sounds right. The mastering engineer should have "worked" with vocal quality until it sounded like a lifelike human person. That is the entire point of mastering.

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

When you say 2003 redbook, what disc are you referring to?

9. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Thanks, Steve.

I guess that explains what I hear.

10. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

[​IMG]

The comparison btw the CD and SACD is NOT fair IMO

Yes, I do prefer the MCA too, but this one was remixed on a SADIE digital workstation by Bob Ludwig!

The comparison btw CD vs SACD is like apples vs oranges.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    BIG ED, PhantomStranger and Lucidae like this.
  12. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I don't recommend any of them. Buy one and soon you'll find yourself on a slippery slope towards financial ruin. Most of these are seriously good - and such goodness can be truly addictive. Do yourself a favour and stick to your decidedly non-audiophile run-of-the-mill CDs and whatnot, save your money and save yourself.

mozz likes this.
  13. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Hi Steve,
    what are demos? Are those mastered or also unfinished? And why could they sound better than a finished product? enquirering minds want to know! thanks!

14. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

I wish I could think of a recent MFSL title that I could not recommend. They all sound great in my books.

Those MFSL guys just can't be beat. They rock with big ones aplenty !

15. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I really don't care what was done to what and what not. I don't care about mixes, remixes, masterings, remasterings, or what have you. I don't even care if the CD vs. SACD comparison is apples vs. steak.

ALL I am saying is this: Patsy Cline had a very rich, round, warm, velvety, honey-filled VOICE. And that lush voice the SACD COMPLETELY destroys! And the MCA redbook does not.

Therefore, in keeping in line with the thread title, I cannot recommend this SACD.

That's all I'm saying.

As an aside: I wish Steve had a hand in this SACD release. He would have made sure the voice was preserved, much the way he did with Nat King Cole. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  16. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not happy with it either. TTBOMK there are only two other versions available; the original CBS CD and the BGO Two-fer. Have you heard these? What would you recommend?

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I replaced the SACD with the original CD (Epic EK 31584). To my ears it's much better.

18. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I don't think I would agree that MFSL can't be beat. The problems I have with MFSL is that I would like to see them use jewel cases instead of those mini-LP sleeves like I got with my Bitches Brew 2x SACD. I also don't think their stuff always sounds better than some of the mainstream CDs. For example with Pink Floyd - DSOTM, while the MFSL does sound nice and smooth, I still think my Black Triangle disc sounds a little more dynamic and lifelike. Others, like MFSL's version of Eric Clapton - Slowhand, sound great to me.

Analogue Productions I am getting my first two discs tomorrow. CCR- Cosmo's Factory and The Doors - The Doors. The CCR should sound outstanding as Steve Hoffman did these from what I can find. As for The Doors, the only other versions I have is an old 2-CD of "The Best Of The Doors." It sounds okay imo. I also have an old Best Of The Doors LP, which I'm not sure if it is a quad or not, but it is the best I've ever heard these songs. It sounds nice and rich.

Audio Fidelity I've never been unhappy with. The stuff I've got from them is Alice Cooper - B$B, Eric Clapton - Pilgrim, Legends - Get It On and Vangelis - Blade Runner. All of these are like music to my ears - pun intended. I like that Audio Fidelity does more popular music. But everything I have bought from them has been a masterpiece.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic
    &
    not Steve:
    A "demo" is a song by a single artist or single band member [or more] working out the song for recording the 1st time; tho the song may have been preformed "live" B4 a few or even many times.
    The producer, a member of the band or not, then takes the "demo" & records a finished song; maybe adding instruments-instrumentation and/or vocals.
    This may take (p.i.) many "takes" & in some cases even various "takes" are put together too accomplish a finished song which becomes the "master".

The only reason i know of a demo sounding better than a finished song would be engineering and/or dubbing.
    One of me fave "demos" is Tom Petty's "Peace In L.A." which was taken directly from the studio & playED on air in like under 24 hrs.
    No futzin' around at all; just that "live" in the studio sound i luv.

YouTube "Beatles Demo" for fun & you'll even find diff takes there as well.
    The reason Sir George Martin is "The 5th Beatle" in my eyes is cause after hearing some of those demos you'd never think the song could become a hit let alone a classic.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    norman_frappe likes this.
  20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Sadly this is true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.