Bad English

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by driverdrummer, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Love them. Love Waite-one of my all time faves. But, honestly, why rebirth the Babys? I mean he was the Babys. His solo stuff....Bad English added the keys and bass from the Babys....it all has a similar sound. I love the babys....but, it's like a progression--his solo stuff took it to another level....Bad English was a kind of cool heavier side step....his album Rough and Tumble is one of my faves of this Millenium.

Bad English's second album I really loved. Maybe more than the first. It was a little more like Waite solo record. I have to say, Schon was the weak link there--not that he's bad--not what I mean, but he brought a kind of heavier dated guitar sound to otherwise 5 start songwriting. Ghost in my Heart....So This is Eden....what a band.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I always thought John Waite was a bad fit as a rock band frontman. He seemed more like an '80s version of a balladeer. Michael Bolton with a hint of soul.

melstapler likes this.
  3. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

You've never seen him play a show, have you?

Jimmy Agates and melstapler like this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

John has expressed negative feelings toward how he was perceived as an artist, but is in a delicate situation. A large portion of his fans (who are his bread and butter) are either from his days with The Babys, his 80s solo material or the Bad English supergroup period. John can't pretend the past never happened, so he has to find a balance. That might mean performing 1 or 2 Babys songs, a couple 80s solo hits and 1 or 2 Bad English songs. This gives him the ability to incorporate more in the way of newer material from his more recent albums. Ironically, John is a big fan of blues and country music, although you wouldn't know this from hearing most of his "hit" major label recordings. He got sick of the record companies dictating how songs and albums would sound. I've seen John many times, mostly in clubs or package oldies festivals. His stripped-down approach usually means a lead guitarist, drummer, bassist and sometimes a female background vocalist. John plays rhythm guitar on many songs, not all.

I took a lady friend to see John a few years ago and she had no idea he was the same guy who sang 'Missing You' and 'When I See You Smile,' although she knew those songs. Of course, John and band plays the old material differently nowadays. The production on his self-produced stuff is pretty good.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes I hadnt ever heard any of those songs on the 2nd album but they all suck! -- Not surprising seeing rock started to really blow in the 90s.. (I found the songs from the 2nd on youtube and quickly listenend to each) -- THE FIRST RECORD KICKS ASS!!!! (I have that one)

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.