CD Player with a small footprint - TEAC CD-H750

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mikemoon, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've had a bit of the hardware bug lately and started to think about possible adding a cd player to my set up. I'm a vinyl guy and this would likely serve as 5-10% of my home listening. I was also looking for something with a small footprint. I only have a 15x 15 space to put the CDP and this one is: 11-1/2"W x 4-1/2"H x 14-1/8"D. I also found some demo models on Ebay for $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121515310179?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It also so serves the purpose of playing downloads during parties, etc. It may suck at this though.

I have about 50 CDs in my collection that I'd like to be able to play on occasion and wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on this player or other ones with a small footprint.

In a few years I do plan to add a decent DAC (Rega, etc.) to my setup, so I may wait until then to deal with digital. I may add the Dragonfly soon as my temporary DAC. Basically, this is a baby step as digital only interests me so much but it is an additional I want to add.

2. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Teac has some great sounding CD players. I picked up a couple of Teac CD-P650's last year on sale. They have great headphones outputs too.

mikemoon likes this.
  3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well if the position allows top loading, the Rega Apollo-R.

mikemoon, benzo and Ntotrar like this.
  4. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I've got the TEAC PD-H600 slim-size CD player which garnered loads of great reviews. Very solidly built, very nice smooth sound, no complaints at all.

mikemoon likes this.
  5. mikemoon

I appreciate the responses so far.

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

If you are planning on adding the Rega DAC-R at a later date, then I agree with the above suggestion of the Apollo-R. Not only is the Apollo a great little cd player, it also looks really cool when sitting next to the Rega DAC-R.

mikemoon likes this.
  7. mikemoon

The position does allow for it but I'm not willing to invest $1K in a CDP at this point. I wold the TEAC for $300 and it looks like a nice build. The purpose of the CDP would be to play the 50 or so CDs that I might play 5-10% of the time outside of my normal lp listening. It would also serve as a bridge until I invest in a DAC, possible the Rega DAC a few years down the road.

8. mikemoon

Both are very nice but $2K for digital is more than I need for now. I heard the CDP sound better with the DAC too.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

mikemoon likes this.
  10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

You could also check out the Marantz CD6005 or 5005.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Accessories4less.com and pick up one of the 5000 or 6000 series Marantz players for a great price. Do not compromise sound quality for space. Both series got great reviews.

mikemoon likes this.
  12. mikemoon

I appreciate all the feedback. I guess since space is an issue with me, I will likely hold off until I get a DAC which essentially will make the CDP obsolete. Space is an issue, I have 15" x 15" storage area for it to sit. The TEAC, Project and Rega fit in this area and all seem like good players to varying degrees. Since digital only means so much too me (5-10% of my listening), I will wait until spring and look at DACs. I'm currently eyeing The Schiit Brand.

I've been engulfed in vinyl for the last 6 years and I'm still mainly focused in this area but I do want quality digital at some point as supplemental listening. It appears a quality DAC is the path I should take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.