KEF LS50 or Gallo Strada Reference 2 for small room?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Billy Budapest, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

I have a REL T5 with my KEF LS50's and they are a perfect match.
    Check out the Brystons - if they stomp the LS50's then they must be special.

2. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

This is not comparing apples with apples, but voice on the Gallos with the Mapleshade upgrades doesn't sound at all muffled to me, though I recognize that Bob is speaking in relative terms. What I have noticed with my Gallos is that voices have less body than they do on high quality (and more expensive) full range speakers that can move more air. Totally agree that for full range sound you will need a subwoofer (I have the Gallo which matches, of course, well), but that is really true of almost any monitor.

3. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Willy,

The two things you mention that you're looking for are the LS50's strong points. Haven't heard the Stradas but the LS50s have a hauntingly realistic midrange and pull a disappearing act better than any speaker I've personally heard.

Bill

rbp likes this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

that sounds worthy of it's own thread. i'd love to hear you compare/contrast the two speakers.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

How do the LS50s hold up when pushed to higher volumes?

Can't remember where I read this, but I recall they tend to compress and the soundstage suffers.

I'll confess to sometimes going 'stupid loud' when the mood hits (induced).

Just read the review in Stereophile for the Wharfdale Jade 3s at the same price point as the LS50s....I'm intrigued...

6. james

james Summon The Queen

a subwoofer helps

they do suck down some current. my Yamaha A-S2000 (150watts at 4ohms) runs out of juice before the LS50's do.

7. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I had the LS50's a year ago for about 3 months. Very good speaker. IMO. But I had co listeners complain about no low end weight, and a slight nasal
    character. They had issues but def. a unique product.

The Mini A is a superior product to my ears.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do a direct comparison.

8. james

james Summon The Queen

do the Brystons do that cohesion/point source trick the LS50's do? do you find they lean brighter or darker than the LS50s? Similar detail level?

9. ServingTheMusic

Interesting question.

By total coincidence, I thought about that last night...

The KEF's, as cook as they are, and they ARE cool..def. have a character. I think it may because of the driver material. And..one coaxial driver can only do so much,
    so they work really well in small spaces, nearfield.

The Brystons, so far, are not bright, not lean..detail retrieval is superb.

This may sound dumb but on the spectrum of light and dark, they are mocha...not vanilla, and not chocolate, but somewhere in between.

This is case where one would really need to audition them because listening to me prattle on is second best.

To circle back to the original premise, I would take these over the LS50s personally.

PROG U.K. and james like this.
  10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

For someone in the USA or Canada, the Bryston speakers are probably better value, being locally made - but it's hard to forget that Kef have been making great loudpeakers for more than 50 years; and Bryston are new to the game.

11. ServingTheMusic

Absolutely true..when I first heard that Bryston was going to make speakers I was apathetic as can be..and when offered the chance to review them, I did not exactly
    jump at the opportunity, but let me tell you...you have to put those prejudices aside and hear them.

This is not a Me Too product.

12. james

james Summon The Queen

thanks for your reply

13. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Didn't Bryston team up with another speaker manufacturer for help in developing its speaker line?

I like the Model A and Model T nomenclature!

14. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Axiom, which are also pretty decent speakers ... I wouldn't be surprised if they had a somewhat similar sound.

15. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

I don't think speakers are any more or less important than any other component. If anything, the source component is the most important because it all starts there (i.e., garbage in, garbage out, you can't polish a turd, etc.). However, that is a tired debate that is best not rehashed here.

16. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

And when did you hear the Bryston's?

17. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I was intrigued until you said Axiom. They are so hit or miss it is amazing.

18. ServingTheMusic

I got them 4 days ago.

FYI I also have heard the KEF's in other systems after sporadically since they were returned.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

So after hearing the KEFs in your system a year ago and in other systems since then, you feel like the Brystons you are listening to now are better. I'm not sure what that really means, but ok. :righton:

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

21. ServingTheMusic

It's not really complicated. I personally feel the Bryston Mini A is a superior speaker.

-less colored
    -superior bass performance
    -more open and relaxed

I have no problem if others, after hearing both speakers, disagree.

22. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Not making it complicated. In fact I was thinking of getting a pair of the Brystons in to have a listen precisely based on what you said. Then I decided against it based on the answer to my question.

That's all.

23. ServingTheMusic

Not sure why decided it against it??:confused:

Odd back and forth here.

24. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Its not complicated. :) Your comments between the two had me very interested in the Brystons. Then I find out how you came to your conclusion. If I'm going to lay out cash to compare a set I already have to another set based on somebody's word.. I'd need a little more than comparing them a year apart from each other or in a completely different system... however unequivocal you seem to be.

25. ServingTheMusic

I would never recommend laying out cash just to do a comparison. Ever. That is for those with money to burn. If you can get a loaner pair from a dealer, go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.