Questions about Kenny G Duotones on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

While browsing the used CD bins the other day, I came across two different versions of Kenny G's 1986 album Duotones. Both discs were on Arista. Here are a few details on these discs:

Copy #1: Catalog number ARCD 8427, pressed in Japan, 11 tracks, "And You Know That" included as a bonus track

Copy #2: Catalog number ARCD 8496, pressed in the U.S., 10 tracks, "And You Know That" not included

Does anyone know why "And You Know That" was removed? I did a quick Google search and found only this on Wikipedia:

"There are at least three versions of the CD that have been released in the US. The earlier release has a longer version of "What Does It Take". The later one has a shortened version identical to the one usually played by radio stations. There is also a version that features a different track order while including a bonus track "And You Know That" with an uncredited vocalist."

I picked up the Japanese pressing. The track list is as follows:

1. What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)
    2. Midnight Motion
    3. Don't Make Me Wait For Love
    4. Sade
    5. Champagne
    6. And You Know That
    7. Slip Of The Tongue
    8. You Make Me Believe
    9. Songbird
    10. Three Of A Kind
    11. Esther

Amazon.com has what appears to be a reissue. The cover shown lists a few featured songs in the bottom right corner. This list does not appear on the original Arista CD cover. The reissue on amazon.com has 10 tracks (i.e., no bonus track), and the order is different than on the above Japanese pressing. Here is the track list on the reissue:

1. Songbird
    2. Midnight Motion
    3. Don't Make Me Wait for Love
    4. Sade
    5. Champagne
    6. What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)
    7. Slip of the Tongue
    8. Three of a Kind
    9. Esther
    10. You Make Me Believe

Wikipedia lists 10 tracks in the order matching the second list above. I found pictures of the original LP via Google, and the track list and order also match the second list. The catalog number on the LPs I saw was AL 8427. It would appear that, in 1986, the LP was released with 10 tracks in the order shown in the second list, while also in 1986, the CD was released with 11 tracks in the order shown in the first list.

I'm curious why the CD bonus track was later removed and why the original CD has a different track order. Anyone know the story?

Thanks!

alainsane likes this.
  2. KeithH

Just to make sure we're in the right mood here:

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. KeithH

Bump.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You know the "I'm a collector" thing has gotten out of hand when you need to bump your question about Kenny G twice within the same morning.

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

:laugh:

6. KeithH

Come on, guys. Be honest. This album was a big seller. It's O.K. to admit that you own it. You're among friends here. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

[​IMG]

alainsane and Dan Steely like this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If only Harvey Pekar was still with us, he really knew his jazz.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  8. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Oh man, looking up that picture let me find this, which I hadn't seen yet:
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/db3a84286a/my-imaginary-friend-is-kenny-g

Did you guys all know about that already and didn't tell me? :)

9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Once walked out of a Fry's Electronics to the parkin' lot to hear a guy just cranking the Kenny G in his car as he drove by.

10. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I'm guessing that the uncredited vocalist has something to do with the removal of that track.

Was just looking at that Kenny G cd and notice I have version #1 with the full length "What Does It Take" and the bonus track.

alainsane likes this.
  11. KeithH

Maybe, and maybe they couldn't work out an arrangement (royalties) to then reissue the album with the credit.

alainsane likes this.
  12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

My copy has the full-length "What Does it Take" and the bonus track. I don't recognize the uncredited singer's voice but maybe he is the reason for having the track taken off the CD later on.

13. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I was listening to a recorded radio broadcast from the 80s today, and the song Don't Make Me Wait For Love by Kenny G came on. It was very different from the album version. Not just a remix – some of G's fills were completely different takes. I wonder if that radio version is available on CD – on one of his comps, maybe?

14. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

I'm also curious. What's the best-sounding Duotones available?

15. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Keith,
    there are many Japan-only bonus tracks on Japanese CD from whatever artist, nothing weird about it.

16. KeithH

I understand, but that's not what we're talking about here. The subject here is U.S. releases of Duotones. The original Japan-for-U.S. pressing has an extra track that was later removed. It has 11 tracks. Later U.S. pressings have a different catalog number, a different track order, and just 10 tracks. It has been suggested that the track was removed due to licensing issues. The second track order (10 tracks) matches the original LP.

17. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Maybe a simple mistake? In Japan they prepared a glass master for both Japan and USA markets without knowing that the 11th track wasn't supposed to be on a USA release. Keep in mind that is a 1986 release, it seems to me easy to understand such a situation since CD was still a niche market, and then later they corrected the mistake on the USA print.
    A cross-check of matrix codes with a japan-for-japan and a japan-for-usa release could clarify the situation.

ispace and Bob J like this.
  18. KeithH

I haven't seen the original or subsequent Japanese issues to see what is on them. My Japan-for-U.S. pressing with 11 tracks has the original U.S. catalog number, ARCD 8427, in the matrix code. The U.S. catalog number was changed to ARCD 8496 for subsequent U.S. pressings with 10 tracks.

19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Winopener's possible explanation for that extra track being removed later makes total sense to me.
    Japanese issues most often have an additional track or two compared to the US release. Maybe this
    one slipped through to the US market before somebody caught it.

20. music and movies

I don't need to start my own thread about this, do I? :eek:

21. KeithH

I have the Japan-for-U.S. pressing with 11 tracks and the current U.S budget reissue with 10 tracks, but I haven't compared them yet. Has the album been remastered?

22. music and movies

Discogs lists three 1986 versions (ARCD-8496, ARCD-8427, ARCD-8496 [club edition]), a 1987 version (257 792 [European version pressed by Sonopress]), a 1988 (West?) German reissue (258 497), a 2004 BMG reissue (755174893025) and a 2004 Arista K2 24-bit Japanese remaster (BVCM-37513).

I'm only using Discogs for reference, though. You'll have to identify the Japan-for-U.S. and U.S. budget versions you have.

The 1987 Sonopress and 1988 Germany are both listed as having 11 tracks.

23. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Well, since the 11th track is present also in European releases, the licensing issue seems most likely now.

ispace likes this.
  24. KeithH

Thanks. I don't know if the album has been remastered in the U.S., but it's good to know that there is a remaster from Japan.

The current U.S. budget reissue has the standard 10 tracks in the same order as the earlier Arista ARCD 8496 issue (U.S. pressings). I believe it is the 2004 BMG reissue cited by Discogs. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the Japan-for-U.S. disc with 11 tracks has catalog number ARCD 8427.

As a side note, there is an early Columbia Record Club (CRC) issue pressed in the U.S. by DADC with catalog number ARCD 8427 and 11 tracks. I saw it on eBay last night.

There also is a Japanese pressing with catalog number ARCD 8496 and 10 tracks. The copy I found on eBay is not a U.S. release by virtue of the insert shown. The insert looks Australian. The insert says the disc was pressed by Denon, but it does not have the typical Japanese Denon dot-matrix matrix code font. Here is a picture from eBay:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  25. KeithH

You can really go nuts with this. There is a Canadian issue pressed by Cinram with 10 tracks but the original catalog number ARCD 8427. I just found that copy on eBay. So, ARCD 8427 does not always mean 11 tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.