Early Aerosmith- I Forgot How Good They Were

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raylinds, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Mine too. I emailed them also. :realmad::realmad:

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO, when it comes to Aerosmith if the album is on Columbia, yer safe (well...maybe not the first Classics Live! LP)

DiabloG, Hep Alien and ShawnX like this.
  3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

All of their 70s albums are great. Even the derided Night In The Ruts is better than anything they released afterwards.

ohnothimagen, ShawnX, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Early Aerosmith is like a treasure trove of well crafted songs and melody.

Seasons of Whither is sublime....

Murph, Clanceman, Rocketdog and 2 others like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I saw them in 1985 after the original line up reformed and it was one of the best concerts that I saw. They did not have a new album so they only played the old Colombia material. They also played a cover of Red House by Jimi Hendrix and Let The Music Do The Talking from the Joe Perry Project.

The set list was similar to this.

1Rats In The Cellar
    2Bone To Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy)
    3Big Ten Inch Record
    4Three Mile Smile
    Reefer Head Woman (partial)
    5Lord Of The Thighs
    6Movin' Out
    7Last Child
    8Let The Music Do The Talking
    9Red House
    10Dream On
    11Lightning Strikes
    Oh Well (partial)
    12Sweet Emotion
    13Walk This Way
    14Milk Cow Blues
    - Drum Solo
    15Toys In The Attic
    16Train Kept A Rollin'

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Clanceman and Hep Alien like this.
  6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yeah I only saw them play that live once, it was on the GYW tour. Joe actually sat down on a stool to play the acoustic part.

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, I made an Aerosmith cd "mix" for a guy earlier this year who probably only knew stuff from Draw The Line and "Pump".
    He was totally blown away. It was like he had never really heard Aerosmith. Glad I did something good...

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Toys in the Attic was the album that got me into Rock and Roll as I was developing my own musical path in the mid 80's. Of course from there I worked backwards to self titled and Wings and forward to ROCKS.

Permenent Vacation and Pump I felt where good as well, but different, more commercial and polished. It was an exciting time as I was able to start seeing them in concert for the first time.

9. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

This is NOT a thread crap.
    But disclosure: I am not a fan.

Yet, even as an un-fan I have to give these boys their due.
    Since I didn't like the original Greatest Hits, when it came out (weak b side)
    I thought I'd try to do better and then be done with it with a single strong 10 track l.p. if possible.
    I did this about 1980 at the time interval between 1st and 2nd eras, when the band didn't really exist except in name.

I was pleased and surprised that I was able to make what I thought was a strong record out of the first three,
    and another strong record out of the fourth (rocks), fifth and sixth. by strong I mean I can go back to these
    comps with pleasure even after all these years.
    Later I was able to do the same with the second era records up through Pump.
    I've been listening to these self made comps with pleasure now for thirty years. Get a Grip I like as it is.
    that makes four l.p. length comps that give me continued pleasure these boys have produced and ............
    this is for someone who is not a fan! So.... kudos guys! (to put this in perspective I even have my reservations about Zep. ).

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

for me night in the ruts is also a classic. i enjoyed pretty much everything they did up to and including nine lives. after that they really lost me

Clanceman, John Fell and Tree of Life like this.
  11. tgood

tgood Well-Known Member

Picked up a clean Rocks lp for 5$; halfway through playing quiet and well and really taking me back. What happened to these guys; their first few albums rocked quite nicely.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They cleaned up their acts and cleaned up.

13. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Just picked up Pandoras Box for $5.00.
    Damn I'm from the Boston area and I forgot how good those early albums are.
    Seasons of Wither and No More No More still sound great
    They lost me with all those p*** poor power ballads even though they probably paid for new vacation homes for every one

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I still think Dream On, Mama Kin, Train Kept A Rollin' and Same Old Song and Dance have been overplayed through the years to a point where I will often skip over the songs.

15. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

The first four albums are required in any collection. The fifth to provide balance. After that? Meh!

BGLeduc likes this.
  16. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I thought Permanent Vacation and Pump were pretty good, but yea after that all down hill.

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Such a simple song really but, yeah, Seasons of Whither just has a beautiful vibe to me. Once they found their feet, and before they slipped again, they wrote some inspired stuff. I'm really digging the reissues of the early LPs but it didn't fall off really bad until Rock and a Hard Place for me. I love Night in the Ruts. Then there was a 5 year hiatus before Permanent Vacation when things got better, but still lacked the feeling of the earlier stuff.

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Always loved old Aerosmith, all the columbia stuff and permanent vacation and pump for me. This thread has made me fire up pandoras box. I still have the original 3 cd's and booklet from the box I bought when I was 14 in '91

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  19. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

I like every album they have made, except for Mirrors and Grip, but even those have a few good songs. I think Major Barbara should have been on the first album instead of the Walking The Dog cover.

The Pandora version is a minute longer than the Classic one, but either one would have worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTCTEIFoFA

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i love major barbara

21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The first 4 albums are classics! I never could get into much of posted Tyler/Perry reunion stuff though. They never had the same feel to me.

22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

The 1st time I saw them was in '74.
    Get Your Wings was brand new ( or about to come out) and they were headliners at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Mi. This was at U of M, so it was mostly a college crowd.

They only had the 2 albums worth of material, so there were many covers. They opened with "Helter Skelter" (a perfect rendition) and also played "Train Kept ... " and "Rattlesnake Shake". They rocked the place, both the audience & band had a great night.

To this day, this was my favorite show of there's.

jon9091 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.