Is this normal for a digital VTF gauge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tim185, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is this right or just...wrong?
    I cant see the point of the angle of the pad. How are you supposed to get it level with the platter?
    Most of the ones I have seen have a flat extension from the case that would rest flat on the platter.
    How are you supposed to use it anyway, the stylus would be making contact on a angle.
    What am I missing?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Your picture isn't showing, but I'm assuming it's because of the angle of the pad where you put your stylus/tonearm on.
    If you get your stylus right on the dot, it weighs fine.
    I've got one that angles like (I assume) yours does, and I've checked it with little calibrating weights. It's accurate.
    There have been threads about these types of VTF gauges on this board before, and others report the same thing.

3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

No. Mine might have a very slight cant (almost imperceptible) but that one is really bent out of wack.

Definitely not normal and that would probably result in some pretty gross reading error.

I'd return that.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The force is downward, even if the platform is angled. Although I wouldn't want mine bent up like that, it wouldn't appear to be something that would noticeably affect the downward force.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That looks completely off.....I've seen those scales have a little upward tilt but nothing like that. That looks like the stylus would slip right off it if you tried to put it down, which would be my fear with use more than a question of accuracy. I wouldn't use that even if it's accurate. That said, those scales tend to have very thin, lightweight metal platforms and elbows and I bet you could just bend it into a flatter position without affecting accuracy (they're calibrateble anyway).

6. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Now that the picture is showing for me, it looks EXACTLY like my VTF gauge. Mine works just fine.
    If yours came with the little calibrating weight, check it to make sure it works fine.
    Again, mine looks just like that, and I checked it with .1 g, 1g and 5g weights and it was weighing correctly.

7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It's not right, the platform shouldn't be angled up like what's shown in the picture.

8. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

Is that one of the gauges from DealExtreme in Hong Kong? I buy a bunch from them and about 25% have that problem.

To fix it I unscrew the cover and that exposes the metal platform. It is pretty easy to use a set of small pliers and bend it to the correct angle.

chervokas likes this.
  9. tim185

Can't remember where it come from. But it was somewhere in Asia and it was only $10. I wouldn't use it as is , but I may as well take it apart and try and flatten it if it's possible.

10. tim185

Does it mess the calibration up at all doing that ?

11. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Will be easy enough to tell after the fact if you have a 5 gram weight or even a coin which you know the exact weight of . It will either weigh them correctly or it won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.