Mobile Fidelity pushing for more sound quality from SACD at CES 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

A good excuse to "settle". But I hope that will never be part of the personal profile here. :D

RSharpe likes this.
  2. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic:
    When firing away at such a rapid pace, one should consider that sarcasm could/will be lost. May be throwing in an emoji or two would help.
    One of the main reasons someone, even besides Bill, would spend more on a Oppo 105 than an Oppo 103 would be the power supply. The 105 offers a toroidal power transformer [one reason i got a 95].
    Not un-common on the internet forum sites for it too seem like everyone's complaining all the time.
    Everyone cares, that's for sure. Just people are more likely too post on a thread if they don't like something than if they do.
    If people are happy w/something their usually taking the time too enjoy it; rather than finding some place too complain about it.
    Simple human nature, don't confuse it w/audiophiles not liking audio tho.
    However you did suggest a $12,000US unit; so i hope were you could see that sounds a little hypocritical.
    Has Bill actually posted: "then there can be no better" in regards too the Oppo 105?
    [no/he has only stated:"The 105 is an outstanding player without a doubt :). Numerous professional reviews back that up"/on this thread]
    People are trying too "control... (the best of) what digital can actually sound like" like you; just cause everyone doesn't do it the same way doesn't make it necessarily wrong.
    And not everyone has the same capital nor goal.

Enjoy the many ways life can give others pleasure & one may bring more pleasure too one's life as well!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Shawn and RSharpe like this.
  4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Jim N. likes this.
  5. tribby2001

I love the Sony SACD surround player in my car. Its Macpherson struts eliminate jitter.

6. tribby2001

:yikes: OH NO....!!! :wtf: All my FLAC files have disappeared! :faint:

7. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That's your problem.
    You're using entry level McPherson struts.
    The finest players use Direct-Stream Bilstein.

tribby2001 and hi_watt like this.
  8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

& if you don't have solid core wiring then all is lost...:angel:

too true :shtiphat: & you're welcome

9. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

Sounds a bit like hoax to me. OK I'm a fan of CDs and imo the benefit from 24bit is noticeable, but very subtile. And now Superbit Mapping for a High High Rez fromat to lower high rez format sounds more like a marketing strategy to me. I mean, I have the MFSL I Robot which sounds fantastic and the tape was also just converted from a 16bit 80's DAC. If "low rez" digital sound really so bad and unmusical, great musicians and bands like Queen, Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Alan Parsons, Sting and Bob Dylan and many more would never recorded their albums on early 16bit digital tape machines in the 80's and 90's or mixed analog to U-Matic tapes. Sure todays digital is better, but the equipment of the time makes the sound of the music as well. And this 4x DSD stuff sounds like "hey audiophiles re-buy all of your SACD's and CD's you've already got, cause we have a new technology that make your old purchases sound like an 1930's Grammophone!" to me.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Hide your Prized 8 track collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    the beave

tribby2001 likes this.
  11. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I will absolutely agree that sound quality is key. If the dsd processing helps then everything should be processed.

I have my doubts

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have the DirectStream. I can't be positive it is the DSD upsampling that is responsible, but the sound is exceptionally good. I bought it for Redbook playback and I'm very happy. Redbook playback sounds closer to high resolution than anything else I've ever heard playing back Redbook.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I didn't "toss" money away on the 105 because I bought a 103. Rationale??? You're the one fixated with cost so maybe you could explain the rationale ;). No I wouldn't have been "just great" with the 103 at $1,200. Why would I? I don't buy components based on cost but on how they sound and perform. By that I actually listen to components before I would say they are sub standard ;). So when one spends $5k for an SACD player that's money well spent?

Bill

Shawn, BIG ED and Scott J like this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree, sometimes settling is because of budget constraints. I am happy for people that can afford the latest greatest, but not everyone can. I don't think people should be put down because of the choices they make.

I think people with a budget of $1,300. for a universal blu-ray player are making a great choice with the oppo.

Shawn, Scott J, BIG ED and 2 others like this.
  15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

As long as this thread has gotten so far off the rails.

I picked up an mint condition Onkyo SACD/DVD-A player (DV-SP502) at a thrift store yesterday for $12 and it didn't bother me one bit it converts DSD to PCM. It's a $12 SACD player, baby, and it sounds great!

:bdance:

hi_watt and Bill Mac like this.
  16. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I honestly don't care how high of resolution they make the SACD layer as long as I still can get a well-mastered CD layer. Really wish they would just offer a plain CD in addition to the SACD and vinyl.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Awesome :)! The SP502 is supposed to be an excellent SACD and CD player for the price. For $12 it is a stone cold bargain, enjoy!

Bill

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks Bill. Since I had to sneak it past the wife I've been dying to tell somebody!

jfeldt, Scott J and Bill Mac like this.
  19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Other than the wife obviously. :)

$12 :yikes:

ti-triodes and Tullman like this.
  20. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Be careful with that model as it is notorious for leaving circular scratches on discs.
    Probably the reason it was $12.

21. tribby2001

A few years ago when I was looking around for a decent headphone amplifier I ran across a clone of the Lehman Audio "Cube".
    The clone sold for less than a 1/4 of the price for the original "Cube" (less in a DIY kit form). A lucky soul on one the headphone forums was able to compare both side-by-side with nary a physical or audible difference.

$12,000 for an SACD player :biglaugh:

Who was it that placed an Oppo inside their own cabinet and sold it for a massive mark-up as a high end "audiophile" SACD player?

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Bill Mac and tribby2001 like this.
  23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic:
    i remember in the old days [notice i did post "good" old days] when a release on one format would have info on the release on other formats; like:
    Cassette/CD/Vinyl

i just wish now we would get the best mastering on all formats, not just the vinyl or not just the download.

Back too fighting!

Master_It_Right likes this.
  24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

:cool::cool:

Thanks for the tip. I did some checking on the internet but that's the first I've heard about it.

I just thought it was dumped by some douche who put his music collection on hard drive.

25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

But dude, it was the case that made all the difference!
    It converted everything to DSD, you know DSD the magical solution to making everything sound better.
    RedBook to DSD, voila!, from regular res to hi-res just that easy.
    You see DSD has the same magic ingredient as vinyl and vacuum tubes, it transforms electrical impulses into another form of matter rather like alchemy, lead(PCM) to gold(DSD) as it were.
    It was all written up in a white paper back in the 1500's.

Now if we could just find a way to convert DSD to analog, we'd be verging on Nirvana.
    But alas, DSD is a proprietary format designed for high density digital archival storage by our masters at Sony, actually I think Koch and Meitner made it work first but I digress.
    Virtually impossible to rip, edit or any other damn thing.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    originalsnuffy and RSharpe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.