Jazz Beat (Part 35)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimArruda, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Okay maybe not jazz but I think of it that way. Better than a chill pill.

[​IMG]

Six String and ether-bored like this.
  3. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Uh oh, guess what day it is! Guess, what, day, it, is? Huh? Anybody? What day is it, Bob?

Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
    [​IMG]

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Thad Jones / Mel LewisPresenting Thad Jones, Mel Lewis & 'The Jazz Orchestra' (Solid State / United Artists — BGO)
    — With Bill Berry, Danny Stiles, Jimmy Nottingham, Richard Williams, Thad Jones / Bob Brookmeyer, Cliff Heather, Jack Raines, Tom McIntosh / Eddie Daniels, Jerome Richardson, Jerry Dodgion, Joe Farrell, Pepper Adams / Hank Jones, Sam Herman, Richard Davis, Mel Lewis; remastered by Andrew Thompson

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Six String, fingerpoppin, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  5. tribby2001

Santana - Welcome
    [​IMG]

6. tribby2001

Jeff Beck - Who Else!
    [​IMG]

KUJayhawk, Cactus Bob and ether-bored like this.
  7. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Notice how much older he looks now that he's aligned himself with the "I haven't been relevant since 1978" Jon Anderson :laugh::

[​IMG]

ether-bored likes this.
  8. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

you bet. can you remember when vanilla reissues like 'circle waltz' were 3500 yen? those prices were insane. primarily because the japanese economy was in a bubble era and would bear it. after years of deflation and stagnation we're now seeing the long term effect in 999 and 1000 yen pricepoints on good reissue programs. a new variation such as shm or blu-spec has to be created in order to justify a pricepoint that places a series back in the black so labels can live to reissue (and issue) another day...

9. ether-bored

oh i love 'live at belleville'!
    heard 'mira'....?

JETman likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Nope. That Hutch album is the one I want. I already own the OST lp and while it is good, it's not nearly as desirable to me as the other. I would trade my Blow Up for the other one in a heart beat. I have a cdr of it and a few other dates from the same tour and that band was on fire but then Hutcherson and Land had a real simpatico. They never turned out a bad album IMHO.

WP Claire Fischer - Alone Together

NP Ike Quebec -Blue & Sentimental (Blue Note) Liberty stereo pressing. I disagree whole heartedly with that Robert character in his blog about the MM choices where he thinks this is a poor album. Not his exact words but sentiment was it was not worthy of this reissue. It's a relaxed date and as such is not full of big excitement but Grant Green in one of his first appearances on record plays exactly what is needed. I really like this but it is one I reserve for early mornings with my coffee. It works perfectly in that situation.

I've now moved on to Kenny Burrell's Ellington Is Forever on Fantasy (tan label). If you are a fan of the Duke, you owe
    it to yourself to check these sessions out. On appearance it looks like a loose jam situation but it is far more than that.
    Yes, the number of people in the mix is large but the arrangements utilized the musicians in smart and creative ways and Kenny really shines when he isn't giving solo space to Thad Jones, Jon Faddis, Joe Henderson, Jimmy Smith and a few others.

DrJ and Campbell Saddler like this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

If that is the only one you have, then I recommend the following,
    Blow in' The Blues Away
    Doin' The Thing*
    Cape Verdean Blues
    Six Pieces Of Silver

*I don't think this has been released by MM but it should be on your radar anyway. Now he has several others from this period as I rate his albums up to and including Horace Scope and The Jody Grind as worthy of your time. Check out the musicians on the individual albums to help you choose although they are all good.

Campbell Saddler and TimArruda like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That is a legit label though, right? Just not sanctioned by the artists?

14. ether-bored

[​IMG]
    it's a good day for a flight. to denmark.

fingerpoppin, DrJ, Voltaire and 6 others like this.
  15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

JMY is an Italian "black market" label. Whether or not they're "legit" depends on your perspective :laugh:

Six String likes this.
  16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Not yet, but Tommy Smith is one tenor who's deserving of wider recognition, for sure.

hkm3 and ether-bored like this.
  17. ether-bored

agreed!

18. tribby2001

Notice he's not dead like most artists posted to this thread who are at best equally irrelevant. :biglaugh:

19. tribby2001

The Dixie Dregs - What If
    [​IMG]

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Well, relevance is all relative :) I'll give Jon some credit, though. I expected his next project to be with someone like Yanni or John Tesh or God forbid, adding words to Glass' "Koyaanisqatsi" :laugh:

21. tribby2001

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bill Mays / Ray DrummondOne To One (DMP) — piano & bass duets

[​IMG]

Soulpope and Six String like this.
  24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

25. Lonson