VPI Prime

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by guitartuba, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

That's it, though -- VPI doesn't manufacture the entirety of their line simultaneously. It's a small shop. Right now they appear to be in Scout 1.1 and Prime mode, and they want to move current inventory. And their marketing tends towards the hyperbolic in order to do so.

2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

It would be hard to put a record on that. ;-)

rebellovw likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

well yes that black wood looks more pretty than Prime!, this is the old classic? http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Ferdinand77/VpiClassicTT.jpg wow looks better whit rounded corners and flat basement under the platter, the current is not rounded corners and more high under the platter, but current looks better with the motor outside...

rebellovw and Preston like this.
  4. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Oh well, I think with my aesthetics sensibility I prefer the look of the Classic 3 over the prime.
    And the 12" arm will be interesting I think.

Looking forward very much to Monday or Tuesday when I will finally have it.
    I've been turntable less for the past few months.

Very eager to spin all my records I've accumulated especially the Beatles Mono box. :)

-- Sanjay

Rickchick likes this.
  5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - that is the one I have in the picture - I just stored it on the bottom shelf as my other table was on duty. It is back on the top shelf.

She is a very pretty table.

[​IMG]

Rickchick, ellingtonic and stenway like this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I like the look of most VPI tables. I've owned the humble Scout for 6 years now and I'm very satisfied. Initially, when I saw the Prime I was really interested as it caught my eye. It's really the only table to do so.

I had to take a step back though and ask myself a few questions. I've already spent $1,800 on a TT, how much better can a table really get. I've heard cheaper TTs than mine and thought they sounded great and I'd be satisfied with them as well. The law of diminishing returns will always set in. I do understand that there are different level of this return.

Since owning the Scout, I've added the SS Delrin (which should be standard) and I've thought about the 300 RPM motor. I'm not sure I could ever really part with the Scout, even if I did purchase a Prime...I mean she's my #1 bish.

Rickchick, attym, 500Homeruns and 2 others like this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have the black wood Classic like coasterdock, and like mikemoon says, even if there's a better turntable out there I don't really care - I got a great deal on it second-hand and I don't need anything else.

Also, I'd like to believe that once the initial investment is recouped, the price of 3D printed tonearms will drop and I might own one one day.

rebellovw and mikemoon like this.
  8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont have any audiophile turntable, I need at least a scout! :angel:

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Crazy thing is when I first got into 2-channel audio, the Scout was the foundation of my system and along with the cart was 50% of my budget. Since then, I've upgraded most of the surrounding parts outside of the Vandy 1Cs that are stronger than ever.

10. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I’ve owned a Scout now for ten years, I don’t see any upgrades in my analog future. If I was
    needing a new table now, I would go with a Classic 1 and call it a day. I do like the look of the
    new Prime but I wouldn’t spend that kind of money. The Scout with an Ortofon 2M Black
    has kept me very happy.

Rickchick, 500Homeruns and mikemoon like this.
  11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I totally agree. I think the Scout has an understated elegance about it. It doesn't look retro or futuristic. It looks like engineering meets art. I think this is how many VPI tables look to me including the Classic and the Prime.

BTW, have you ever made any upgrades (motor?) or had to replace the belt? Also, how often do you change the oil in the motor and lube the bearing?

What is that in your picture (front right) by the platter?

Rickchick likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

actually like I say Im thinking in buy a Scout, I think is enough for me, Im waiting for the 2015 model (well in vpi say that...) price is $2000 but $2500 scout 2 with high platter, $500 more just for the the classic high platter... so $2500 is close to the $3500 prime.

any sources to found used VPI's? I see just a few in audiogon...

mikemoon likes this.
  13. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Hi Mike, that was well said.

I only replaced the belt one because I thought I needed to but really wasn’t necessary. The only upgrade to the
    table was the 2M Black, I don’t believe in upgrades for anything, I rather just buy what is needed from the beginning.

I never lubed anything on the table and it still works like the day I bought it. This was truly well spent money for my 2
    channel audio system. The little round object you see on the Scout is a cheap plastic bubble level.

Regards,
    Jerry

Rickchick and mikemoon like this.
  14. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Asking VPI which one is best?

It certainly is a looker!

LeeS likes this.
  15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I'd like to see a veneer over the mdf, rather than vinyl. Although I understand that black vinyl is in keeping with the Scout aesthetic.

beowulf and rob303 like this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm kind of the same way. I'm glad I replaced the center weight/clamp withe the SS Delrin, it even made a slight sound improvement and possible has reduced warps as I rarely experience them now and used to see them quite often. This may just be coincidence though. It is certainly not something that has to be upgraded but I like the look of it as well and my regular one broke.

I take my table in to my local hifi store and have it serviced and cart inspected about every 2.5 years. Like you the cart is the main upgrade I've made. I've been curious about the motor but not sure I'd go that route (yet).

I appreciate your feedback. I wasn't sure if that was a small level or zero dust cleaner!

brooklyn likes this.
  17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

You will be more than happy with the Scout. Also, with the 2015 model, I'd just with the $2,000 but the only money toward a better cart/phono. You will get more difference there IMO. As you mention, by the time you spend $2,500 on the table, you start thinking about the prime.

I have no experience with used gear.

brooklyn likes this.
  18. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

I'm considering upgrading from my Scout II because of the longer tonearm and the fluid damping. I think my cartridge really needs those things. So it's either a Classic or Prime. Suggestions? Or is it possible to just upgrade the arm on a Scout II?

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I think yes, you can upgrade your scout II with a 3D arm but I dont know the price.

numanoid likes this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sanjay, you have to see the Prime in person. It's very pretty if a bit modern.

21. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

If I get a chance sure I will check it out.
    Meantime Im looking forward to my C3.
    Unfortunately I have to wait one more week it seems. :(

22. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

As good as the VPI Prime can be, I see two huge improvements that should be given on a TT at this price range/performance.

1. Mounting area for a second arm (mono/stereo). Cost? virtually nothing.

2. I'm an automotive industrial designer and I can't stand seeing the radius at each footer leg non tangent at its intersection to the concave arcs in the chassis thickness.
    It just looks amateurish. Replace with a curve continuous line for the CNC cutter path and it will appear vastly more sinuous even to the untrained eye.
    Cost? Nothing.

Otherwise, an outstanding accomplishment.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  23. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Never noticed that until you mentioned it.

VinylRob likes this.
  24. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

Actually the table was made to handle a second arm but that is something that won't be available until later on. The volume was so much on ordering that we put that on the wayside and also leave a little something for customers to play with on their table :)

Classic Series will never go away, but it is time for a re-vamp because of the Prime. There is a design difference with my dad and I... though I think I'm starting to bring him back on my side of the argument because of the Prime. Dad and I like both inbound motor tables and outboard motor tables. However, I have personally leaned towards the outboard and he has leaned toward in the inbound. When manufactures call us to use a VPI table to demo at a show my go-to is Scout/2 and his is a Classic. That being said, when dad designed the Classic he said that (at his age) he didn't want to deal with moving his table and moving his motor. He wanted to be able to pick up the table and move the whole thing in one shot. For me, I like having that motor separate because I can experiment more, isolate it better, upgrade easier, and if I break it, it is much easier to fix.

We never expected the amount of orders we received with the Prime and we are still the small (but growing) mom and pop shop, with the son at the helm. More exciting, the Prime I think has really brought HW back into the company, it has made him excited about the industry again. This has led to the surprising resurrection of a project he was working on just before he created the Classic. He called it "The Tripod" (I know, a sterling and exciting name!) with some input on my part, it is now back as the "Avenger" (but that is for another thread).

Also, we have been recommending no dampening fluid with the 3D arm, we have noticed that when dampening fluid is used with the 3D arm it is almost overly dampened.

You can upgrade your Scout 2 to use a 10 inch 3D arm, I have been working on making this more clear on the website but there haven't been enough hours in the day! Hope that helps answer some questions about the product :cool:

MW

Rickchick, Tullman, Tommyboy and 4 others like this.
  25. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Good to hear from you Mat. Again, an outstanding accomplishment!

Rickchick and vpiindustries like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.