Best tower speakers in the 2-3k range?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by atl1, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Another excellent speaker recommendation :). I have a few friends that have the Sierra Towers and they're very happy with them. I had the Sierra-1s before the Songtowers and I enjoyed them very much.

Bill

2. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I should add that I've also heard the Salk Songtowers and I really, really like them. Well made. Very smooth and musical. Not much full range action though. A much smaller soundstage than the Pendragons. Great for smaller rooms though. I think the Salk stuff is very impressive.

I could be happy with a pair.

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I'm really loving the Egglestonworks Emmas at $3500 a pair.

4. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

the enzo's are step up above the lore's and a notch down of the Pendragons, correct?

5. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I think that's where they fall in the line. Not sure though. I need to read up on the Enzos. They came out right after I got the Pendragons.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

What are they like to drive? I used to use Savoys and Andras, and they tended to want very high-powered solid-state amplification (I used Pass Labs, but friends have used Krell and Perreaux with good results). I remember being forced to use Manley Neo Classic monoblocks with the Andras once, and it was a total failure.

7. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I would agree, plus they are ugly with a corny name.

KT88 and Metralla like this.
  8. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident

I had the Enzos and then bought the Pendragons and sold the Enzos. The Enzos are incredibly highly resolving but the Pendragons are warmer and with a bigger sound. I found the Enzos fatiguing but that was most likely due to my Nordost cabling that I'm looking to get rid of now.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes. Not my cup of tea as a complete speaker system, but most of the B&W products are of excellent quality, certainly those from the CM series and up. They will work fine with a pair of small subs. You could do a lot worse...
    -Bill

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The only Tekton products I have heard were a small speaker and despite being a bit of an internet forum sensation, were horrible sounding. I'd stick with the B&W and your local dealer.
    -Bill

PROG U.K. likes this.
  11. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I would recommend doing some research regarding their customer service, which appears to be lacking.....

12. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I'd throw Proac into the ring especially 2nd hand.

13. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I've never heard these, but man they are gorgeous speakers!

14. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

When I was first shopping for speakers the Tekton Lores were on my short list, however after researching a few popular forums and people complaining that it was taking 6-8 months to get their speakers, combined with QA issues such as grills not ever coming, or shipping separately and then to find out no grill holes were drilled, etc. I quickly turned my attention elsewhere as I wanted to be listening to my speakers within a decent time period, because no matter how good they were 6 months was way too long for me. The consensus and repetitive remarks throughout the conversations were ... if Eric say 6 weeks, he really means 6 months to a year and he has been known to not ship everything that was paid for such as grills.

I instead went with Omega and am happy I did as I really became a fan of the single driver soundstage, speed and imaging. Not too mention excellent customer service and my speakers were shipped within the estimated timeline.

edit ~ I would like to mention that this was 2 years ago and I'm not sure if there were improvememnts made to Tekton's QA and customer service over this time period ... BUT I would research this out to see if this is still going on before I gave him any money.

15. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident

It's fixed. I've ordered two sets of speakers from him in the last 6 months and both shipped same day.

16. atl1

[​IMG]

New Cm9's in the house

beowulf and jupiterboy like this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

You use multiple tweeters to increase the output so that it matches the output of the (2) bass drivers. this way no L-pad resistors are needed to cut / level match the drivers. This makes the speaker as efficient a possible.
    I have been intrigued by the Tekton range because it is one of the few brands that offer traditional big box woofers sizes.
    The tweeters (SB acoustics ring radiators) are smokin' good tweeters and used in the DIY mobile audiophile and home DIY speaker communities.
    However the bass drivers are in the tradition of the Zu brand which use efficient PA / pro drivers. In the Tekton's case these appear to be 10" Eminence bass guitar speakers. This gives them some ability to have lower midrange output (hopefully) capable of meeting the low end of the SB acoustics tweeters (est 2.5Khz) without leaving a big hole in the frequency response or straining the tweeter to reach too low. The problem is that by nature of the driver's size (10" diameter) it will start beaming (becoming directional) at 1300Hz.
    Unconventional speaker design to be sure, similar but likely better than the Zu design.
    While I would love to hear them and bet they would sound interesting (at least) I had a difficult enough time picking among speakers during auditions let alone picking one that I had never heard.
    Maybe someday I'll DIY a set. The drivers are fairly inexpensive.

beowulf and T'mershi Duween like this.
  18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I just get IMG, but I assume others can see the photo. When I try to get the image to load, I get:

403. That’s an error.

Your client does not have permission to get URL /05e--5--n29cSREk8XC_UFpJBGdL1xxtvjkJg2mEuTUXqCVkaLfJdbGqL4yflflHqRH2E4fUEefgXJQRy66R6mE7y0wmOSfZv6I5sA3ufu410aYtYmnp_5lUUDCQ0p31g1M3dUqYUy_1m7dkcQsvyw59tVIa_5MHMNJeHUZw0YWhghZUVJcMCZ6U7ZGIhF0yfk4C3iX7XW1p0Sz8UR_GG7ZRo6D8sIz1AhhQuMDl6liuoMBvOnVETe2RyoNQhYYxAPdtQro0qD_wTDuTH1B_iiYDErLgXyqziJmEnGqlY9Ex2JRkpCeAOQXByaeuocM5WXytD6cptfIz4CwA0N9iYlOjysUXoqzobxjM4ccE08LZ4k6k0mDh_I41UkXjWw4afO5arfGvlFjAaH2S-uj-HEr7SZbxlTo0WiNUXDZ2NBZVNoDk0LkTZqlZyCt4Sw3GEALliP4gZ-MtP0n-O4kleH7gWkX2ApCe7_LPCFwdUmQCpN4Nc4F2KME5qA7ltcBH1gNvEdVe6I6kOKrlR_1Vwd-WpkiK81N9xLm36FY60K8wboFuBih1X-QL7oii9jlTgiO7Z5msgw=w1920-h2560-l75-ft from this server.

19. atl1

[​IMG]

Kyhl and Rick58 like this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Hey! That worked!! Did you do anything different?

Now, you just need to add a massive Christmas tree right between the speakers, and a keg of beer by the side of the sofa, and you should be set! :D

What are the room dimensions? Looks like you have a lot of options with regard to placement. I generally like to work with odd ratios (1/3, 1/5, 1/7, etc.) to start with, and fine tune from there.

I see a lot of late nights in your future! :D

21. atl1

haha thanks man. i just took the pic i took on my phone and uploaded it to imgur.

yea you know ive got the beer in a fridge down here, gotta make sure that's covered :)

honestly i don't know the dimensions off the top of my head. im definitely going to be trying to find the placement i want cuz lucky enough i have a good amount of room. but before that im going to try to implement some room treatments on the back wall behind the speakers and then i'll go from there.

very happy with my purchase, ive been talking to my dealer since wednesday and they are really good with their customers, ended up paying today and they delivered them to my house an hour later! good christmas indeed.

wgriel likes this.
  22. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Congrats on the CM9s. I have a Totem Storm sub with them and it sounds wonderful.

23. atl1

do you by any chance buy through Stuart's Audio because we have a lot of gear from the same brands

24. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

No. Hippos in Albany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.