Traffic mastering thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think Traffic's catalog was well cared for in the US. I've heard several later pressings (from the 80s) that also sound very good. And, yes, Traffic records are quite common and inexpensive here so don't pay inflated internet prices of you can avoid it.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I actully had the original UK-Island LP once(blowing back the cobwebs of time).

3. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Any thoughts on "Welcome To The Canteen" the 1971 contractual obligation album?

I use to have it on a ol narley commercial cassette that I love and played to death.

I would love to hear a nice version of it on cd and with perhaps some bonus cuts of the live performance that didn't original cut.

4. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Thanks to all the posters here, this thread has been very helpful in some recent research on best digital versions of Traffic.

My question is in regard to there seeming to be two earlier U.S. editions of "John Barleycorn Must Die" on Island cds.

There is the one that's been mentioned here, the 90058-2 (UPC 0-7567-90058-2), which has the blue colored script writing "Island" (slanted) on the cd face, on the rear tray lower right corner, uses the block letter small "i" as the Island logo.

There's another edition, which mirrors all aspects of the one above, in terms of artwork layout, printing on the cd face, except, the # is 422-842 780-2 (UPC 0 422 842780-2); the small yellow circle w/palm tree Island logo is used on the cd face, and that same logo (in b+w) is on the rear tray lower right corner.

I'm just trying to determine if these two editions, nearly identical in layout and design, share the same remastering, or if they were different. Probably not likely that anyone has owned both of them, but if anyone can assist, it would be appreciated.

5. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Many thanks to btomarra for the most helpful information!

6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Agreed, they very good.

7. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

For anyone still considering the Sundazed "Heaven Is In Your Mind" US mono cd, it is presently on sale at Sundazed in their Garage Sale for a stunning $3.99 (it's almost like they're giving it to you!), along with some other pretty nifty cd and vinyl selections, at fire sale prices.

BIG ED likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

An awesome CD!!!

RickJ and btomarra like this.
  9. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

The other day I quickly and informally compared (using just the first songs of each) the US remasters from 2002 with the original Island CDs for Last Exit, Traffic, Canteen, and Shootout in order to decide which ones to put in the closet and which ones to keep out for day to day listening. I balanced the comparisons so that they were (approximately) the same listening volume. In each case I found the remasters superior. The older CDs certainly weren't bad and were quite listenable, but when you put them up side by side with the remasters, the remasters sounded like you could hear all of the instruments much more clearly and distinctly where the older CDs sounded almost a bit recessed or flat. This was not a subtle difference. YMMV.

metaljim likes this.
  10. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

It sure does. I still prefer the originals:

Mr. Fantasy - Island IMCD 43
    Traffic - Island IMCD 45
    Last Exit - Island CID 9097
    John Barleycorn Must Die - Island CID 9116
    Welcome To The Canteen - Island IMCD 39
    The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - Island CID 9180
    Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory - Island IMCD 44
    On The Road - Island CIDD 2
    When The Eagle Flies - Island CID 9273
    Best Of Traffic - Island 12860 2

11. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Hi, are these the same versions as found on the individual cd US Traffic remasters of the mono Mr. Fantasy and stereo Heaven Is In Your Mind individual releases ?
    Any comments on this disc?
    I also have the US stereo CD Mr. Fantasy 7 90060-2 and thought this looks like a nice cd having them together but wonder how it is/thanks

[​IMG]

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The UK discs are no-noised. Avoid.

BIG ED and jerrygene like this.
  13. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Thanks...

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No problemo

jerrygene likes this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"Rare" Photo - Welcome To The Canteen- bring on the deluxe edition..!!

[​IMG]

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Low Spark- 2002 cd remaster

If you listen closely, to the title track. The master tape has some damage in places. Particularly audible on the vocals in the form of "print through". Note- I'm not referring to previously buried low level sounds (which are also now audible for the first time).

17. I don't know, but here's the difference between the two:

1. WEA (Warner/Elektra/Atlantic) and in this case specifically, Atlantic/Atco distributed and manufactured Island's CDs in the USA only until 1989, when PolyGram bought Island and took over manufacturing and distribution. Not only did the catalog numbers change from WEA Atco # i(i.e. 7 90xxx-2) to PolyGram's catalog numbers (i.e. 422 842 yyy-2). The discs were also made mostly at PDO USA (later called PMDC USA), instead of WEA's plant or contracted suppliers.

2. There was a period of time after the acquisition, where the PolyGram catalog number discs were just the WEA issues with new inserts or the WEA discs were continued to be sold with new catalog numbers or a mix to work out supplies and the contract. After that all the discs were 422 series discs from PolyGram. Some of the record club discs continued to US the WEA disc masters with updated copyright info.

3. One needs to look at the matrix on the CD to determine which source they used.

4. I have no idea if PolyGram US reused the WEA mastering or used the UK Island CID series master or did a new one for both markets, since they now had the worldwide market. Prior to PolyGram acquiring Island, they distributed Island in certain markets like Japan and Canada.

Dave, BIG ED, RickJ and 1 other person like this.
  18. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Thanks ! This cd was still onsale when I just now visited the site. Mark me down for one copy !

Media shipping was even more than the cd, but that's OK.

RickJ likes this.
  19. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

ffracer. Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply; the information has been most helpful!

20. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

You're welcome! Sorry about the shipping, i had forgotten that factor, although my solution was to find another 5 cds for $3.99 to make it more worthwhile.

21. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Same. Thanks for the tip!

RickJ likes this.
  22. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Since recently acquiring the Sundazed mono cd, i should probably comment on the sound (merely echoing earlier remarks from other posters), to say how fantastic it is. But equally or more importantly, it is one of those mono mixes that really does offer a markedly different listening experience to the stereo. I'd hesitate to say superior, as the stereo mix has its merits unique to stereo mixes; but, i'd confidently say that the mono has equal merit to the stereo, overall. Anyone who loves "Mr. Fantasy" to any great degree really should have this mono mix.

23. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the SHM-SACD of John Barleycorn to the HDTracks download? I got a chance to hear the SHM and it walked all over my 80's stock Island CD IMO. But the HDTracks is sooooo much cheaper and easier to acquire. Any advice?

24. No idea, though I love the SHM-SACD's sound.

25. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Still like the sound of the original vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.