Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I do look at things closely and I haven't seen the things that you appear to have (except for the recent transgression I've already mentioned). I didn't particularly like the first few episodes of the season with Quinn and the poolside shenanigans or Carrie and the baby stuff, but that wasn't 24-esque, just bad writing (okay most of 24 is bad writing, but it's qualitatively different). But after that, it was good plotting and, again, not at all 24-esque, IMO.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It was 24-esque in relentless energetic pace, I personally want the execution it to be a bit more breathing and careful with a little more detail and thought. You and I like different things, that's fine with me, and experience things a bit differently, also fine with me.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've always thought Homeland was a cross between Zero Dark Thirty and 24. And this season has leaned more toward the 24 side of things. IMO, being in Pakistan rather than in DC lends itself to this approach. I can see why some might not like this, but I'm ok with it as it has played out so far.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

man that started in season 2. especially when brody offed the VP. that was 24 to the max.

vegafleet likes this.
  5. Lonson

Marc and GS, I agree. It just seems more pronounced to me this season as there are less "slower elements" to the storyline.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think speed is a good arbiter of similarity between the two shows, otherwise you could draw that conclusion with any program that contains fast paced sections.

Dammit
    , you'd be on stronger ground if you pointed to fickle/changeable character motivations to suit the plot, non-credible plot developments, ever present moles and bigger bads around every corner. There are some elements of that, but not to 24 levels.

My opinion so far is that this season has been variable in quality, from some poor episodes to some truly excellent episodes and many competent ones. It's definitely much better than what came after season one.

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think we need to secure a perimeter around this argument.

RubenH and GentleSenator like this.
  8. Lonson

For one thing, I'm not trying to convince YOU or anyone, just stating my opinion and observations.

And for another, I do see probably more of these instances of character motivations, non-credible plot developments than you, don't really see the need or have the desire to list them. It's the speed of plot and the ease of twists and turns that remind me most of 24, and those other elements are a part of what makes the speed and twistiness "work" to the extent they do. I hated 24 so much that I could only stomach about ten episodes over the entire span, every time I turned to it trying to like it I was repelled. And I'm feeling that repulsion to this season of Homeland, really for the first time, though it's been building. I can't say I like it "better than what came after season one" as I confess I liked two and three more with some reservations.

But I don't expect us to share the same opinions, and likes, they're personal and I'm as happy with mine as you are with yours.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As am I.

10. Lonson

Cool. Then why the "on stronger ground," etc. I don't have to convince you if your opinion differs from mine. Honestly, I've been tempted to put you on ignore and don't want to, I just feel you expect me to defend my opinion and I just don't want to be exchanging post after post on things we're far apart on.

And maybe that's just me, seeing thing that are not there

Whatever. Just one more episode, I predict they get the bastard and get the list back. I may be wrong, but that's my prediction. Will be glad to see the wrap up.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What good would "getting the list back" do? The toothpaste is out of that tube...

12. Lonson

You're right, but. . . I've worked for bureaucrats, "directors," Lockhart would plots and sleep well at night if he could get it back. Would mean he had screwed up less, if only in his own mind.

13. Lonson

And it's a way for Carrie to possibly get back "in" as a unit chief.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I figure she'll be back to teaching English As A Second Language again before anyone gives her another Station Chief gig.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No offense, but you're thinking way too hard about this stuff. It's just a TV show.

Now I'm going to be guilty of the same...is Dar Adal in that car willingly or unwillingly? If willingly, in what capacity...a good guy or a a bad guy?

16. Lonson

Yes, I am, thinking way too hard about this stuff, but I expect some sort of internal logic, and I respond at times and extrapolate according to my experience.

I like a show where I CAN think that hard about the stuff. Many shows that's not even possible.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  17. Lonson

You're probably right. . . but it's Homeland.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's called a discussion. People relate their points of view on discussion boards. I don't see why you need to play the victim card all the time.

Yes, that's exactly right.

19. Lonson

And I don't know why you always have to challenge my opinions the way you do, with some sort of disdain. I'm putting you on ignore, thanks for aiding my decision.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Again with the faux victimization. Oh well.

21. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

That episode had me on the edge of my seat near the end, yet another great cliffhanger.
    I continue to be impressed with the show's production values this season.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  22. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

last night episode was a bit quieter which is good except for the end of course
    i agree with Quinn " Damn you Carrie !"
    she stops him to blow the bomb then acts like a cowboy , so stupid
    and could not believe Dar Adam smiling in the car , he is there willingly for sure but motives are still uncertain

23. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Lockhart was also telling Carrie that they're already looking for his replacement, so maybe at this point he doesn't care as much what Carrie does.

24. Lonson

Yes maybe.

25. Interesting episode. I was hoping to get some sort of resolve on the Tasneem Kureishi character. Maybe Quinn could have taken her out or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.