Too many Black Mamba's ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone had too many Shunyata research Black Mamba’s in a system? I have 5 of the original BMs (15years old) in my system and it was suggested to me today to see if it sounds better if I unplugged several of them.

I was told that it was discovered that having to many of them plugged in being used or not can make a system sound dark.

I tested it several times unplugging 4 and it does make a difference. It’s very subtle and either way still sounds very good but I would have to agree that I had too many.

So I was wondering if anyone else used these PCs and had issues or nonissues with multiples of these cords.

2. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

SO FUNNY, I just got my first Black Mamba in tonight! I'm pretty excited about it since it was a classic I always wanted years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised it 5 are too many, given the change I've heard with the King Cobra original (also with the beads inside) and the Helix VX series compared to the CX series (no beads).

Are all 5 of yours on digital sources or are some on analogue sources and amps as well?

3. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

I think it's all in your head. Of course, I think power cords are snake oil to begin with. Power *conditioners* might have some benefit IF you have crappy power, but other than that? I just don't buy it.

4. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Wow... Only 2 posts before someone came in and took a dump!

:righton:

JUSTIN WALLACE, DR.J, gojira and 2 others like this.
  5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

How many power cords have you tried?
    How many power conditioners have you tried?
    How did you arrive at the opinion that power cords are "snake oil"?
    If you tell me you tried 20 different power cords and you
    heard no difference then I say, OK I accept your opinion.

If you tell me you've never tried any after market power cords and that you drew your
    knowledge out of thin air then I say your opinion on the subject is meaningless.

I'm not saying power cords are snake oil or that they're not,
    I'm just attempting to make sense of your post.

Ghost rider says he removed some power cords and heard a difference.
    Are you saying he didn't actually hear that difference?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    moon unit and T'mershi Duween like this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Then you will never know what they can do.

7. ghost rider

It’s a long story how I got 5 of them but over the years I just used them where ever I could and it has changed as I upgrade gear. Before removing any I had one on my McIntosh pre; one on my Bryston pre/pro; one on my VPI TT motor; one on a 4way box and one on a 8way box all going to a original Hydra power conditioner.

Yes these have the beads and what I was told is too many the beads have a negitive effect.

Many say so and a fool and his money soon part. It may be in my head but it does change it ever so slightly.

8. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Ok, got it. 5 Black Mambas and the original hydra: I like that style. But, personally, I liked the CX series better on my amp and DAC. You could try going to one of those there, or even a Diamondback or something if you have one lying around to try. I've ended up with beaded cords on my Transporter (digital source) and Genesis Digital Lens (digital source), and non-beaded cords everywhere else. I plan on using this new Black Mamba I got on my DAC for my headphone system, which currently uses a Diamondback.

Do you have any issues with your current sound or are you just speculating about a change?

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Why would having more than one degrade the sound?

10. ghost rider

I didn’t have issues but when it was suggested I had to test. I find it mind boggling that just plugging them in has an effect on the sound. This is not unlike many of the tweaks we do. There is a definite change but is it better, that may be subjective.

I also have a Digital Lens it’s still connected but I never use it nor does it have a Black Mamba. Back in the day this piece had a profound improvement when a BM was used. I have since moved on and never listen to CDs. I primarily listen to 24/96 needle drops I also have a Z-systems rdq-1 digital equalizer but like the Genesis it is limited to 24/48. I figure both are pretty much worthless.

I don’t know these so called beads are inside a rather thick cable housing and if you move the cable around you hear them shifting. They have been called magic beads because they have somewhat of a magical effect. They will tell you just by plugging it into the wall will improve the sound. I never put much thought into that until yesterday .

11. ghost rider

I found this it's dated 2002 so may be outdated.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/tale-of-four-cables-1-2001.html

12. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Quite the contrary. I have a basic understanding of rectifiers and audio amplifier circuit design.

jjjos likes this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

As do many.

JUSTIN WALLACE likes this.
  14. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

It seems like we have very similar tastes in gear. I went all Alpha Helix a few years ago, then tried the sidewinder CX and Viper CX, then phased out my Helix series and worked my way up the CX line since I kept hearing very nice improvements, ending up with 3x King Cobra CX, and a Python Helix VX (on my Transporter). I haven't checked out their two newer lines, but I think the CX line is a great value now at used prices and I would recommend you check them out.

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, Snake Oil is on aisle 6:

[​IMG]

16. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

"best liniment known for pain and lameness"
    Will this also work on lame threads or lame posts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.