Headphones....JBL, Klipsch, B&W, Shure, Polk Audio....and now PSB and Paradigm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What a market headphones have become. Everybody and their brother pumping them out. The original Walking didn't even have this kind of impact. Score another one for Apple. But it makes me wonder if these companies are even close to making their own gear, or just outsourcing it with their name. I bet that goes on... PLENTY.

3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I'd agree... that's a whole new science for these speaker manufacturers... I wonder how many (few) really are designing their own.

4. preferred user

preferred user Member

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blog...f-dr-dre-headphone-company-beats-electronics/.

Imagine that 300 mil. for a brand of headphone nobody ever heard of a few
    years ago and who desighns and makes them maybe HTC ?

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Anyone try the Klipsch M40 cans? Sorry I have veered off topic, lol

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

7. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

It's a fast growing market. I'm enjoying the ride.

8. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Cardas is just now releasing some very interesting ear bud type headphones.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Cool. I'll upgrade the cable by modding them with what I cut from a pair of Kloss.
    :shh::angel:

-Bill

10. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

I own a pair. They sound very good but the sound cancelling feature is not as good as some others. The fit for me is a bit awkward but I have a big head and ears. My favorite are the Klipsch X10 IEMs. They are great at passive noise control, small, easy to carry, and they sound excellent. In response to a previous post, I believe that Klipsch design there own phones.

Back to the topic. There seem to be more and more high end companies getting into the market to get the portable music users. I have heard some great $10 phones and I am not sure it is worth it to get mid-priced phones. I do appreciate the difference in some of the higher priced phones and I have been sucked in. One more point is that a dedicated headphone amp, even a cheap one, makes a big difference in sound quality.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Thinking I may pull the trigger

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  13. MLutthans

Bump ^^^^

14. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Hifi,

What's the best, in your opinion, for the $200 and under market? I'm looking for a new pair. I know you've tested LOTS.

I'm the thinking the HiFi Man new one they have at one of the sites for $249. But have never used HiFi Man.

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Now add Martin Logan to the list of speaker manufacturers doing headphones/earbuds.

16. MLutthans

3-and-a-half months....still nobody has tried the Shure 'phones in post 12?

Matt

17. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Sony made the Walkman. Apple makes the IPod.

Suspect most companies outsource either via another company, country, or simply "tag" I'm selling it.

18. MLutthans

19. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Nope, can't say that I've heard the Shure phones. I just ordered a pair of NAD VISO HP 50 headphones though. After break in I can report on them if you'd like.

20. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I have only spent a few hours listening to the NAD Viso HP 50's and in a word WOW! I am very impressed. If they sound this good out of the box and will improve after "break in", oh yes! Connected to my iPod touch with 44.1 files and not the 256k files and it sounds amazing! Connected to my computer with a few HD tracks and woa! Then to my Denon HT 3808- CI and Oppo BD-103 with Close to the Edge Blu-ray and just awesome. I must say, Paul Barton & NAD have a winner in my book. I am one very satisfied listener! I haven't listened to my iPad 2 with the 256k files, that will be the next test. Now...do I do a DAC? If that could possibly improve the sound even more....

21. MLutthans

Well, nearly three years later, and I just ordered a pair of the SRH1840 headphones tonight. I'll report back when they arrive around New Year's.

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a pair of Shure SRH 840 headphones and for the price they are fantastic. The thing that is so great about headphone audio is you don't need to be wealthy to own a stable of really nice phones. And they don't take up much space. Headphones were my re-entry into the audio hobby. And it just keeps getting better.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  23. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Still, I don't think any of the new ones beat the Stax.

24. MLutthans

After a shipping snafu, I finally got my Shure SRH1840 headphones via FedEx today, and have been spot-checking a bunch of recordings/masterings that I "know well," and I am very, very impressed. Not only do they sound great (really great), the packaging on these things is fantastic. I felt like I was opening my MFSL Beatles box for the first time again. ("Do I really dare touch this? It's too nice!")

Anyway, more to follow, but these headphone are seriously impressive. I'm very happy with them.

Ntotrar likes this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Best of luck with them!

MLutthans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.