Ripping CDs: Is AccurateRip really necessary, or just being anal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by autodidact, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, you're right - I misspoke (or I guess mis-wrote :) ) above and didn't get back to it in time to be able to edit my post.

When a track isn't accurately ripped, it will indeed show a number in parentheses as you say - e.g. (8). But the point remains that the number - that "8" in this example - refers to the total number of rips in the database. If your rip is not accurate, then it's the same situation as discussed above, except the first number - the number of accurate matches - is zero, so some programs don't even show it - they say Inaccurate (8). But some programs do display the zero, e.g. Inaccurate (0/8).

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks. Now everything is clear in a very logical way. :wave:

tmtomh likes this.
  3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Well, either:
    a) I've been luck and never got an "INACCURATE (x/y)" result
    b) I've received one and don't remember :doh:
    c) dbpoweramp doesn't display them?

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Let me see if this link works from a screen cap.

Then you can tell me where the confusion is.

[​IMG]

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

That result indicates that your CD has 27 tracks, and for each track, dBpoweramp found between 19 and 21 entries in the AccurateRip database. And for each track, dBpoweramp did not find a single exact match in the database.

So each track was compared against either 19, 20, or 21 existing rips, and it didn't exactly match any of them.

This means one of two things:

Either (1) There is some variation in your copy of the CD other than a minor change in offset, and you are the first one to rip this version of the CD using a program that can submit rip data to the AccurateRip database. (AFAIK only EAC and dBpoweramp can submit data.)

Or, (2) All of your tracks were indeed ripped inaccurately, because something is amiss with your CD, or with your optical drive, or with a driver or software setting.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Disc is a CD-R and burned "track-at-once" and not "disc-at-once" so it will never show bit perfect even if it plays perfectly. I ripped it in burst mode here, and took a screen shot, rather than secure mode. I could have gotten a "secure" rip with secure mode, but I wanted to display the inaccurate word lit up like a Christmas tree.

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Well then you succeeded in demonstrating that dBpoweramp does show the "inaccurate" label. And I hope now it's clear that the numbers in parentheses represent the number of rips already in the AccurateRip database.

Otherwise, as I assume you are aware, your test burn and rip have no other informational values - as you have said, burning in track at once mode and ripping in burst mode are never going to result in bit-perfect rips.

So are we all clear now?

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think you are always using "secure" mode of ripping. The fastest and least taxing ripping for your read drive is to rip in "Burst" mode, and then go (to the songs that did not show up are accurate) and rerip in secure mode just those few (inaccurate) tracks (if any).

This way you'll give the disc and ripper a chance to get things correct with one fast pass, and giving a two pass to only the ones that truly need it. saving wear and tear on the drive, and completing the whole process faster, if time is important to you.

Me personally I will often use a different (CD or DVD) drive to deal with those pesky "inaccurate" tunes that second time around when I need to do the redo on a track or two. I get success with the second drive I did not get with original rip.

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You're right, I always rip in secure mode. Even in secure mode, rips are very fast. I spend much more time tagging than ripping. Even listening 4 to 8 hours a day, I can't keep up with listening to the rips. I've got over 900 albums and 12K tracks that I haven't listened to.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Then that is even more reason for you to get the ripping going faster, and have that extra time to listen to those 900 albums, and not be sitting at a computer.

I just spent about 50 hours redoing tags on 6Tbs of FLACs. I wanted to do some corrections that needed it of course, but much of the corrections were done so that a Mac system will agree with all the files, and not just Windows, as I found out that there are some differences.

I also wanted correct artwork on some albums. Pink Floyd, Stones, Dylan, etc. There are artists where there are many different issues of the albums, and I needed that correct one to display for a given title. Decca Stones albums must show original Decca artwork, Stones on Virgin cannot show the CBS CD logos on covers, etc. It drives me nuts to see the wrong art. At least from here on out I can do it right and not have to redo it. Three years ago there were not all the artwork options we see out there today. And I did not know that I could scan a cover and drop it into a folder titled as "folder.jpg" and I would be 90% of the way there with artwork.

Grant likes this.
  12. mds

mds Forum Resident

I am a new user to dBpoweramp and just bought my first USB DAC. I would like opinions on the encoding level everyone is using. I have gone with the default which is level 5 but was wondering if I should bump this up to level 8 or not. The question is how much bigger is the file and is the sound that much cleaner and detailed three bumps up in level? I must say the purchase of this program was well worth the money, it is so easy to use, pretty good with the album art, and the ripped results sound great. One last question, if you don't see the correct album art in the choose art drop down how do you increase the search selection?

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I just started using the beta version for Mac. I don't see any function to search more for artwork. If there was an easy way to compare artwork for selection in some sort of full screen preview mode I would like it. Too many times size and resolution will not reveal the scan flows of over saturated color, inaccurate color, soft images, jagged edges etc. currently I contine to use my old method of seeking art out myself and manually adding.

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Unless it's a popular album, their cover search usually doesn't return anything I want to use anyway. Even with AMG, it returns a 400px image instead of a 500px image you can get on the site

15. mwheelerk

Well, the concept at least of presenting multiple choices of album covers is appealing but I would agree that most are not of a quality for my personal standards so for now I will continue to search and add my own

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

There’s no difference in the quality of sound whatsoever in the various levels of compression for lossless compression. It’s simply a question to the user: is the additional time/cpu power (insignificant) required to compress the file worth the reduced file size (also trivial). I set all of mine to level 8.

Art search function – there’s no way to expand the search other than using the (what should be obvious) arrow/scrolling function to view more. I suggest visiting Albumartexchange for better artwork.

c-eling likes this.
  17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am not the typical user, I always transfer files to WAV, I do not use FLAC, which even though you did not say, that sounds what you are using. As far as cover art, when I select from the provided selection of cover art, sometimes between 50 and 200 different pictures, I just choose what I like.

18. mwheelerk

I would agree with www.albumartexchange.com it's by far my best resource for quality cover art with over 350k images posted to date.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I have a weird question. I've been gradually ripping my CDs and I'm somewhat surprised at the low numbers I get for the Accurate Rip database for some of my CDs. Is there some place to search their database for the number of Rips against say a certain title with all the different versions out there?

20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I just use lossless uncompressed FLAC for mine, my SBTouch thinks it sounds better :D

21. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

There’s no place or program to do what you’re asking. Regardless, what would be the point? The author changed the database to a version 2 (V2) a few ago and so many of the V2 rips have low numbers.

However, CUEtools will give you a more detailed report across different pressings that match your disc (same “w/o null” data).

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

No particular reason. Just seemed weird to have so many CDs with low numbers. As long as I get a good rip it doesn't really matter.

23. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Yes, AccurateRip is necessary; or if you're on Linux like I am, cdparanoia is necessary.

24. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I certainly like to know that the data that came off the CD matches what everyone else is getting.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have several things I can do when a disc rips to flac but one or more tracks show inaccurate.

I start by ripping in burst mode. And any tracks not showing up as accurate, I then:

1. Re-Rip them tracks in secure mode
    2. Re-Rip them in other different optical drive
    3. Wash disc with dish soap and dry with clean towel, and try ripping again.

One of these three methods will work. If there is only one entry of the given disc in accurateRip, and I have one song not able to get a matching rip on, I consider the possibility that the one other person who when ripping this same disc had an error on their disc, and has contributed a false "secure" note for the track. My disc is perfect, their's is a bad rip.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.