Has anyone used rakuten.com?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The Keymaster, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found a box set on there for a much cheaper price than anywhere else, but I have also read some rumblings that the site may not be safe. (Apparently, some people had their credit cards fraudulently charged a few years back.)

However, the vendor I would be buying this box set from on Rakuten also sells stuff on Amazon and is a very reputable merchant.

2. MartyTem

MartyTem Forum Resident

I've purchased many audio/video software products from them in addition to computer and office supply items. Never had a problem.

Choosing the cheapest shipping method gets the item to me almost as quickly as a faster method. They drop ship most items from local distributors.

Be sure to sign up for their Super Points program. They have frequent bonus point promotions which can generate 7 to 15 percent credits towards future purchases. These promotions have no effect on product pricing as far as I've noticed.

The Keymaster likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They used to be Buy.com

A year or two ago, their credit card database got hacked and they refused to admit it, although many many people who shopped there wound up having major credit card theft related headaches.

It's one thing to get hacked. It's another to not even admit it after the fact when your customers are getting burned.

I would never shop there except with PayPal or another one-time-use method. And even then, I generally avoid them on principal.

Oh, and Buy.com was the first etailer to go to adopt the practice of charging for ANY phone calls to customer service. Yeah, they were the Spirit Air of the Internet.

Summarizing:

They are good site...for me to poop on.

LordThanos1969 and tmtomh like this.
  4. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

I had a Japanese go-between order some auto parts off them for me a few years back. Everything went fine for me. Parts were exactly as described.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.