I really like to crank up ? when working out/running?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

We all have our favorite music for exercising. I am partial to live Dead or Widespread Panic. How about you? I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. Seemed apropos as we get ready to be assaulted by those New Year's lose weight resolution stories/ads. I like woods trail running myself and really can focus on some detailed listening as I wind down a trail.

ARK likes this.
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I like The Donnas for the bike/treadmill.

Gaslight likes this.
  3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

For road/trail running I don't listen to music because there have been times I've had either pit bulls or rotwiellers hot on my heels, and I would not have know they were there. On days where it's just to miserable to run I do step aerobics where I really crank it up with The Who, Tom Petty, Neil and the Horse, etc.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I started running 22 years ago when I turned 40 and have never listened to music while running. I run outside and enjoy the quite and solitude.

5. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Metallica ~ St Anger

6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Tommy and The Who By Numbers

7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Misfits

926am likes this.
  8. Daedalus

For me yesterday it was some of the Grateful Dead Complete Fillmore West 1969

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Usually AC/DC - Let There Be Rock - The Movie (1979) but lots of other stuff, too

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

MixMP3's (or whatever we call mixtapes these days). So whatever tickles my fancy at this period of my existence -- could be some older songs that fell back into my radar, or new songs that get me pumped up at the gym.

Examples of some newer stuff in my current "Workout" music folder:

James - Frozen Britain
    matt pond PA - Last Night
    Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me
    Alvvays - Party Police
    The Awesome Welles - Undertaker
    Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Canyon Moon
    Jukebox The Ghost - The Great Unknown
    Robert Plant - Rainbow
    Gorgon City - Unmissable
    Gorgon City - Here for You
    Interpol - My Blue Supreme
    Haerts - Giving Up
    Taylor Swift - Shake it Off
    The Twilight Sad - I Could Give You All That You Don't Want

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Donna Summer - Bad Girls, On The Radio
    Miles Davis - Jack Johnson, On The Corner, Big Fun, Get Up With It, In Concert, Live-Evil, Dark Magus, Agharta, Pangaea
    Herbie Hancock - Future Shock, Sound-System

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There is a "school" of training known as "Long, Slow, Distance" (LSD).

[​IMG]

Since a lot of my marathon training was done to the Grateful Dead, I thought one day I might write a book called "LSD With The Grateful Dead" (pun intended). At the peak of my distance training, I stopped striving to achieve a given distance and just tried to maintain a pace (9 minute miles) for the length of an entire concert. Saratoga '88 was the first show I ever "finished". When you run to Dead shows, "Drumz/Space" is the "heartbreak hill" - you have to fight through the monotony until the next song starts to take shape, and then you know you are in the "home stretch". It may explain why I love "I Need a Miracle" to this day. (My one and only full marathon was run to Led Zeppelin - LA - 6-21-77. Bonzo's drum solo and Page's Theremin solo being the big challenges. I finished the concert and "encored" with "The End of The End" by Paul McCartney, as death felt imminent.)

I cannot imagine running without music. I feel like I'd never make it.

Murph and Fullbug like this.
  13. Radio KTmS

Radio KTmS i am a dj, i am what i play

audio rip of this,
    continuous loop.

14. So, basically, you crank up "the silence".

15. 926am

926am Senior Member

My latest playlist is Public Enemy with Smashing Pumpkins Siamese dream and U2 Boy. For a long time it was Rhino's 60's box of soul.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    JeffMo likes this.
  16. 926am

926am Senior Member

[​IMG]

This works for me. Along with collection.

[​IMG]

AlienRendel likes this.
  17. Daedalus

Today-something different for me-Mountain into Cream into Pearl Jam Live.

18. Josh C

Josh C Forum Resident

I do 40 minutes on the elliptical machine almost every morning. What I listen to varies. Many days I'll put on DSOTM. This morning I listened to Black Sabbath Greatest Hits. On the weekend I usually lift weights and will typically put on some Metallica.

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Toto

Terrible to think to but great to sweat to.

20. Daedalus

Last night: Shostakovich 12th symphony conducted by Kondrashin from Melodiya box copied onto iPod classic. Today? Maybe some King Crimson live from the Great Deceiver. Life Is Good!

21. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

At my school in England for the last couple of years, those doing weightlifting would be allowed to go off running on their own for the entire sports session if they wanted. So I would go off running around the area surrounding the school which had a lot of forest to it. Although I didn't like the school very much due to a number of factors, this running is a positive memory for me.

I would listen to Iced Earth's Night Of The Stormrider obsessively whilst doing this and it is a perfect album to run to because of the constant varying in tempo and the immersive, dark feel. Run during the headbang sections, jog during the midtempo stuff, cool off during the slower sections. The forest was very conducive to immersion in the fantasy world of this album. As a proggy fantasy thrash album it's second to none.

Favorite track: Mystical End (Track 5), but here's the whole thing.

22. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

Black Keys is good for this

23. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I prefer Jazz or Classical when running. I run 4 miles every morning after breakfast, 7 days a week. I'm lucky to have a river trail near my house that I never tire of and the opportunity to hear great music while I run is a real blessing.

24. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I thought this was going to be about breaking a sweat to the strains of "96 Tears".

notesofachord and Daedalus like this.
  25. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I crank a lot while browsing this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.