"Pretenders" target CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Marc. I assume you've owned/heard both the W. German & Japan target discs?

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I compared the Japan and WG target, sonically they were the same. This may be argued, since they were manufactured in two different countries. The later black on silver Sire pressings on the other hand, were much different. I guess it's possible that very early Japan non-targets *may* have the target mastering.

3. street legal

Thanks again. Did the Japan & W. German target discs have the same total timing, do you know? If so, I would say that they are probably the same mastering for sure, as the "secretly remastered" Sire disc that you speak of (I've owned that one too) clocks in at about 10 seconds less than the target mastering, if I remember correctly.

4. LesPaul666

You're correct on that. From what I can remember the Japan and WG Targets were within 1 second of one another. They sounded identical. The later one, was as you said, 10 sec. or so shorter. I don't have the Japan one in collection anymore, But I'd be glad to put up an EAC log of my WG one, if you need to compare.

5. street legal

Actually, that would be great if you could, & I would really appreciate it.

Oyama was nice enough to do an EAC of the Japan target in post #9, so if you could do one for the W. German target, we could compare the findings & put this one to bed for good! :D

It also might be helpful to other forum members who are looking to pick up the target of this disc, to see if they are indeed identical. :)

6. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Uh...mine was the W.G. target. :D

7. street legal

Awwww, CRAP!!! :D

8. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I ran EAC on my Japan Target and the Peaks MATCH 100% to your WG Target.

9. LesPaul666

Can you post total time?;)

10. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I've been mildly curious about the "total time" metric in regard to identifying the "same" mastering. I have done several comparisons using EAC peak levels and my own ears, and would conclude that the masterings are "the same". But in most of these instances, the total times reported by EAC differ by up to a second, or two (although sometimes they are exactly the same, within a hundredth of a second). What's up with that?

11. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

According to EAC, the entire flac file is 47:13

12. street legal

Very cool. So it appears that they are the same. Thanks! :thumbsup:

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have copy also, catalog number is 6083-2. No RE in the matrix code, though. Not good sounding at all. Kinda flat. Maybe there were US copies with the target mastering and then the catalog number changed and they did a secret remaster. Seems like anything is possible.

14. LesPaul666

Well, The secret remaster that was done is a bit louder. The Target mastering is a pretty low level. Sounds incredible, though. The 6083-2 regular Sire pressing I have(no RE in the matrix) is the newer, remastered one.

15. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Whew! :goodie:

I always hated the sound of my "black on silver Sire" disc. For a minute, I thought you guys were saying it was "good". I feel better now :edthumbs:

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Picked up a West German Target for this today in one of the shops in Edinburgh; £4. Mint. Result! Sounds extremely good.

17. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

I am trying to simplify the target search and I was wondering if the back inserts of the target CD's inidcate their country of origin (Japan or WG)? I believe that sometimes a CD will say Printed in the USA but the disc will be from elsewhere.

18. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Check out the pictures at targetcd.com.

19. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

That was a bullseye. Thanks!

20. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

good score

21. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

My made in Germany copy 7599-27430-2 gives exactly the same readings. This is the version that's still in print in EU so there's really no need to spend time (and money!) for the target.

22. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Just stumbled across this target pressing & very impressed with the sound...

23. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

I have a non RE 6083-2 Sire and it is the same EAC as the targets. Matrix 1 6083-2 SRC-08, there is another code that follows but was printed so low on the aluminum that only the top 10% can be read. Maybe....M1518.

24. That would be 'M1 S18', which means 'Mother 1 Stamper 18'. That code would seem to be in line with an 'SRC 08' matrix.

25. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Thank you Scott! I will write that down next to my EAC values. I like your "location". I am between Tito's and Tommy's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.